Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121151-IMAGE_093_425.jpg

Here's the latest "spy shot" to end up in our inbox, which we believe is fake. This one claims to depict the Mac Mini box, we think. We've posted it since other sites are posting it as possibly real.

Article Link: Latest Mac Mini Spy Shot, Probably Fake

mkoval11

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Metro Washington DC Area
Photo

Why can't the person/s who's taking the photo's use a good digital camera and take a photo of all sides of the box including the Apple Label with the part number and specs. That would take care of this "Is it Real" or "It's a Fake" question once and for all. These photos look horrible and immediately eliminate any credibility.

We all like sneak peeks, but please don't waste our time. Thanks...

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
Right, because when you're shopping for a computer, you want the boring ports to be the prominently displayed part

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Could easily be faked - if it were on an actual box then it'd be more plausible.

It is just one side, no proof this is even a box. Could just be laminated paper with some photoshop work..

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
many times Mr. blurry cam is due to people trying to sneak a picture with their phone and when you try to take a photo quickly with a phone, results are terrible.

Does anyone know if apple currently cellophane wraps their mac minis? I know my macbook wasn't, but i think the time machines and apple tvs are (similar box size)

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Why can't the person/s who's taking the photo's use a good digital camera and take a photo of all sides of the box including the Apple Label with the part number and specs. That would take care of this "Is it Real" or "It's a Fake" question once and for all. These photos look horrible and immediately eliminate any credibility.

We all like sneak peeks, but please don't waste our time. Thanks...

Someone posts a spy shot of the product. People say it's fake because it only shows one side.

Someone posts a 360° video of the product. People say it's fake because they don't show the top and bottom.

Someone posts a 360° video of the product that includes the top and bottom, people say its fake because they didn't show it hooked up and running.

Someone posts a 360° video of the product that includes the top and bottom and demos it running while hooked up to a monitor, people say it's fake because it could easily be another computer running the monitor

All the while, people are saying how easy it is to fake these things.

Then said product is released with the exact specs in the videos and pictures.

And people talk abut how they defended it from the beginning.

That being said, this picture is fake.

sears.d.charles

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
:apple:The iLife has a bulge behind it and the Mini appears to be off angle a bit so I think its fake. Like the idea of extra USB ports.:apple:

I have to agree with this guy.... but i dont get y someone would go though all the trouble to make a fake mockup? its hard to say. I hope its real cuz I want a new mac mini to run my home theater instead of my stupid HP.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Has a spy shot ever been taken with an SLR or, even at the very least, with a decent camera phone?

I can understand this being a sport for fakers out there to make realistic looking photos. But up the stake a bit and give us a sharp photo for once please ;)

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Meh. People will do what they can to create a reaction. I do hope to see a new mac mini soon.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple wouldn't choose an angle like that to use as an image for the top of the box. It's just absolutely hideous.

They'd probably use an image of the top of the Mac Mini for the top of the box. Maybe a shot of the front side. But definitely not one of the back. It makes as much sense as using an image of your rear end for your profile image on facebook or myspace.

They might show off the back side of the Mac Mini on the back or bottom of the box, along side a few bullet points quickly pointing out the specs in clear and non intimidating or jargon filled language.

xpla

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Someone posts a spy shot of the product. People say it's fake because it only shows one side.

Someone posts a 360° video of the product. People say it's fake because they don't show the top and bottom.

Someone posts a 360° video of the product that includes the top and bottom, people say its fake because they didn't show it hooked up and running.

Someone posts a 360° video of the product that includes the top and bottom and demos it running while hooked up to a monitor, people say it's fake because it could easily be another computer running the monitor

All the while, people are saying how easy it is to fake these things.

Then said product is released with the exact specs in the videos and pictures.

And people talk abut how they defended it from the beginning.

That being said, this picture is fake.

Thank you so much for your post! I LOVE IT!

Cerender

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
Gloversville, NY
Back of box?

Exactly what others think - since when are they going to focus on ports?

Since the back of the box? I don't know what the current mini box looks like though. I think the Airport extreme and Time capsule boxes are like that but I'm not sure of the mini.

I just want it to be real since I want a new mini with a Firewire 800 port.

My daughter really wants my my VM server off her computer. :eek: Someday we'll have some real hardware running OS X Server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.