Latest news on the MBP 2011 release

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vikas-rawat, Nov 24, 2010.

  1. vikas-rawat macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #1
    I spoke to a regional executive head of Apple here today and he told me that they have been given indications that the new release of the MBP will happen only with the new OS X Lion.

    This clearly means that we can expect an upgrade only in April 2011, as that is the time around when Lion will release. He clearly told me that is 'highly unlikely' that Apple will be releasing the updated version of the MBP line just a few months before the Lion and the updated version will include the new OS X Lion.

    Personally, I think this makes even more sense w.r.t Sandy Bridge as this will also give Apple more time to test the SB performance and develop a solution towards the space constraint vs Graphic card vs Optical Drive problem in the 13" MBP(Its their bestseller after all!).

    Cheerz!
     
  2. mulo, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

    mulo macrumors 68020

    mulo

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Location:
    Behind you
    #2
    I don't get the point of this post.
    Neither you nor your so called regional executive, said anything common knowledge on the subject could not have divulged.
     
  3. vikas-rawat thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #3
    I've been reading a lot about how some people have been telling of a possible Feb 2011 update, which they claimed would be a by-product of the SB release in Jan.

    Atleats it is more certain that this time around, instead of the normal, regular 8 month update cycle, Apple will take a whole year since its last update.
     
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    Apple is usually VERY quiet about upcoming products so I wouldn't his sayings too seriously. It maybe his guess but Apple doesn't give out any info about their future products, not even to high status employees. Besides, the ones who know wouldn't tell
     
  5. vikas-rawat thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #5
    I only hope I'm proved wrong as I desperately want the updated MBP out by Feb. It would be utter stupidity to buy a MBP now, as C2D's are already a thing of the past I feel.

    I'm looking for the 13" model and an i3 would be sweet. SB is very uncertain but some people seem to be absolutely positive of its awesome-ness.

    All that can be done is to Wait and Watch.



    Oh.. and speculate here! :D
     
  6. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    The Core 2 Duo really isn't that bad. Still an awful lot better than the celerons most people have.

    On any case, I'm sure that you are not aware that the i3 isn't that much better than the C2D, and indeed is worse than it in some benchmarks. Newer isn't always better.
     
  7. alfmil, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

    alfmil macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    #7
    One of those people was you!

    On Nov 20th you said a Q1 2011 update was "a given." http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1052006&highlight=

    "I've used PC all my life and had just made up my mind about buying a MBP 13 this month and was pretty kicked about the specs. But after hours of scurrying around on the net, especially on this wonderful Forum, I have broadly learned a few things and have decided to postpone my MBP 13 buy until next year. For reasons that I hope you will correct :

    The 13" MBP 2011 will in all probability come out in Feb, 2011 and in all likelihood, will include the Sandy Bridge archi and i5. That, or a meagre speed increase on the C2D.

    Sandy Bridge is conformed to release on Jan 5th, 2011. This may mean that Apple may incorporate it immediately for a Feb release or it may get them before their public release too, which may make it a late Jan 2011 release. IMO, it is a remote possibility that there will be a delay as with the i5/i7.

    Meaning that a Q1 2011 MBP update is a given.

    If SB isn't taken, then NVIDIA will continue with a slightly faster C2D and a possible 7200rpm. USB 3.0 would be a lucky add-on, but unlikely.

    The optical drive will remain."
     
  8. vikas-rawat thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #8
    Now I know what a politician feels like! :D

    Anyhow, that post was certainely mine and it was based on the extensive reading I'd done for hours on various forums, including here. So yes, I was one of the 'Feb 2011 update' people but after what I was told I decided to put it out here for the clarification of others like me.

    *Phew!
     
  9. vikas-rawat thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #9
    In any case, all my observations in that previous post came under a broad

    "For reasons that I hope you will correct :"

    Turns out I'm the one correcting it myself. :p
     
  10. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    East Cost
    #10
    Lol. The person you talk to means nothing. They could be released January, they could be released April. He would not be allowed to share that info if he knew it. Just his best guess.
     
  11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #11
    i ahve a question..
    on the apple website and the Back to hte MAc Event.. the Jobs said that OSX Lion would come out in Summer '11? so would april be considered summer?

    i hope they release both soon, but still ..
    and yeah it is bogus for apple to bump up the specs and the model and not put in OSX Lion if its a few months from coming out....unless they start to ship discs or something.. (idk)
     
  12. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #12
    With that being said, they might just bump some specs down the road. Sounds reasonable though.
     

Share This Page