Latest WhatsApp Update Adds iPhone XS Max Support, Hints at Future Dark Mode

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WhatsApp received an update this morning that adds official support for the larger display on Apple's iPhone XS Max, as well as some other improvements and new clues on what's next for the messaging platform.

Prior to today's update, the WhatsApp interface didn't scale properly on the 2,688 x 1,242 resolution screen exclusive to Apple's new 6.5-inch device, but happily the issue has been fixed in this update and the UI now takes full advantage of the larger OLED display.

Elsewhere in this version (2.18.100), WhatsApp has introduced a redesigned contextual action menu for message bubbles in chat threads. Previously, a long press on a message would bring up a horizontal popup menu similar to the one found elsewhere in iOS.

[​IMG]
    Old message action menu (left) versus redesigned menu

In contrast, the new vertical menu masks the background to highlight the selected message and allows more options to be shown in the first popup, with an ellipsis replacing the arrow button to reveal additional actions.

Elsewhere, consecutive voice messages now play in sequence, so users no longer have to tap play on each message. The latest update also adds new reply options to user status messages, with documents, voice messages, locations and vCards being added to the existing text, images, GIFs and videos.

In addition to these changes, WABetaInfo has uncovered alpha code in the latest version suggesting future features for the app will include an optional Dark Mode and the ability to preview videos in WhatsApp notifications.

[​IMG]
    Image via WABetaInfo

In the hidden Dark Mode, incoming messages currently have a dark gray color and outgoing messages are dark green, but it's worth noting that the theme is still in early testing and may look very different when the Dark Mode officially goes live.

WhatsApp is a free download for iPhone available from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Latest WhatsApp Update Adds iPhone XS Max Support, Hints at Future Dark Mode

2. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

About time now youtube Facebook and Facebook messenger how long does it take for max support

3. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

Following up with Telegram, but most likely they'll fail to implement the automatic switching...
    I don't understand why so many people stick with WA...

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

You try convincing all of you friends to switch, and your friends’ friends to switch and so on..

5. makr macrumors regular

I have both installed, almost all my friends have WhatsApp, whereas only 6 of my contacts have Telegram.

6. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

7. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

I've most people I frequently talk to on Telegram. Some are lazy to switch, but a proper Desktop Client and tablet support is something that most people quickly learn to appreciate.
    The bad thing on TG is that it by default doesn't have E2E encryption enabled, which WA has, but most likely that's security only on the paper.

8. R10k macrumors member

I’d prefer a Future iPad Mode.

9. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Was hoping the latest update figured out how to deal with this kind of stuff. Oh well.

10. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

11. truesepho macrumors 6502

The keyboard is still huge and horrible...? Or is it just me?

12. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Just you. For me it looks exactly the same as it looks here in safari or iMessage.

13. OhSh1t_RS macrumors newbie

I wish they’d fix blurry photos on Apple Watch. But I guess, this remains a wish...

14. mrzz Suspended

similar with the desktop app requiring connected phone, that's just super annoying

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

How long does it take to implement dark mode? :/ One of the last apps to do so (that I use). Hate WhatsApp with a passion, but like others stated here.... try convincing a horde of family/friends to switch to something else.

16. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

+1. I enjoy the desktop app when I'm on my MB, but I'd love to see iPad app down the line since I use my IPP almost exclusively when I'm at home.

Although dark mode would be a pretty nice feature once it's released.

17. srminton macrumors regular

srminton

Typical Liverpool fan, more concerned with United than the fact that you haven't won the title since 1990 ;-0.

We'll still finish above you....

18. anson42 macrumors 6502

+1 to United finishing in the bottom half :)

Footy aside, I really like Skype's dark mode on both phone and desktop and looking forward to WhatsApp having it, too. Now if only other chat apps will do the same. I'm looking at you, Zoom and Slack (native, not a hacky theme). Even Outlook for web has dark mode now, a welcome addition for sure!

19. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

Lol. Telegram had dark mode a year ago! WA is laughable, as well as having been Zuckerberged.

I do and continue to do so. The majority of my friends who I speak to regularly now have and love it. If you don't try then obviously it'll never happen.

20. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

I hope some sort of a movement happens where a group of people decide on a specific day and time all people migrate together from Whatsapp to Signal. Even if people wish not to use Signal(for whatever reason) Telegram is at least better than to share your data with toxic facebook.

I hope someone reads this post and acts on it...

21. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

I understand that the reason for that is so that the messages sync with all your devices running Telegram. With E2E only the device that has that specific chat enabled shows it. Two step auth is enough security for me and even then you still get a stem notification on all devices notifying you.

22. truesepho macrumors 6502

I reinstalled WhatsApp and it looks fine now, finally :cool:

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

As in solving essentially underlying inherent issues of humanity...not sure any "app" would really be up to that kind of a task, given that all of history so far hasn't really figured it out.

24. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Sadly you’re right, propagandists will always find a way to reach the gullible and the biased. But I said “deal with” not “solve.” Facebook is taking some steps to limit abuses. No app can solve a no -app problem, but there’s no denying that technology has enabled evildoers.

25. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

Just give me proper WhatsApp support for the iPad, Apple Watch and MacOS (why this isn't a thing mystifies me) as it works with 3rd party apps... they just are a bit naff compared to the proper iPhone app.