Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
I love apple but have no idea why someone would buy the 5c. Especially the 32GB model when you can get a 16GB 5s for the same price. Mind boggling.

I bought the 32GB 5c! Why you ask? Well, I need at least 32 GB and just had a baby and need to save the money. Every $100 counts. I bought it because I'm having issues with my 4s and need to replace it (wifi grayed out issue).

autrefois

macrumors 65816
You really can't draw any conclusions from this without (historical) data of the initial supply of unlocked/locked phones.

Yes, which is why it would be nice to have some numbers like I said. I edited my post to say that the numbers probably aren't coming today since the official launch isn't until Friday, but we don't even know how many have been sold, much less how this might compare to previous launches. I doubt Apple will release numbers on unlocked/locked, but I would think analysts would eventually be able to give estimates of this (to be taken with a grain of salt, obviously).

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I love apple but have no idea why someone would buy the 5c. Especially the 32GB model when you can get a 16GB 5s for the same price. Mind boggling.

heh heh, why did people buy 4S when 5 was launched last year? what about 4 when 4s was launched the year before? Price determined demand and in Apple ecosystem, $100 is meaningful to enough consumer that they are willing to take last generation product. And 5C is better product than 4s in the same part of the launch cycle. 5C get a refreshed exterior and color scheme (a biggie in my book), slightly better battery, and has a different communication chip that will support China Mobile TD-LTE and TD-SCDMA. Consumer who want fashion statement will go for 5C..

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Hmm...Apple needs to be careful here; they probably don't want give out the details on 5C vs 5S (they never told us iPad mini vs iPad regular). The true test is really going to be the 5S. If they can't produce enough 5S to meet the demand and the 5C number is much bigger, then people may view 5S as a failure. That's why they probably don't want reveal too soon on the 5C numbers.

If we don't hear some numbers from Apple today, should we assume that it's less of a hit than they were hoping?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
This concerns me as an Apple investor. Either demand is not that great or supply is exstensive?

It's probably a combination of both.

On one hand, a significant proportion of the "early adopter" crowd, who are the ones most likely to pre-order, are waiting for the 5s. The 5c is a very minor upgrade over the 5, after all.

On the other hand, given that the 5c is really just a modestly upgraded 5 with a new case, and Apple have likely been producing them for some time, I think they are in a much better supply position than they were for many previous releases.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Again, we are told they are selling out but not getting numbers of units sold. So these reports are nearly useless other than to create the (maybe false) need to order now.

When has Apple ever broken out sales of products by model? Most likely we'll see sales figures announced next Monday.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW

Maybe it helps to look at the market through a broader lens...different customers have different desires.

My 16 year old daughter has been saving for a new iPhone. She doesn't give a rip about the processor speed, camera difference or plastic vs metal (she would have probably put a plastic case on the metal version anyway.)

What she does care about is being able to put 10 gigs of music currently on her iPod touch on her phone and still have room for apps, pics and future purchases. That made the 32 gig in a color she liked a perfect choice for her.

Would I buy it for myself? No. But is Apple more than happy to make another sale...probably...especially because the profit margin is higher for them on the 5c 32/64 than any other model.

rob25255

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
London

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 79

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Here in the UK every version is still available.

Unheard of for an iPhone launch!

Does this article have the correct time for UK online availability. The article says 12:01 but the apple website says that's PST which actually equates to 08:01 British Summer Time.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Actually, I can't remember a release of any previous iPhone that
did not completely sell out by the Monday after release
This concerns me as an Apple investor. Either demand is not that great or supply is exstensive?

But the colored iPhone isn't the phone with all the new features. So those buying it most likely are not the ones who would get up at midnight to place an order or stand in line at a store to get it. I guess the question is why Apple felt a pre order was necessary. Unless they wanted to gauge which colors were the most popular?

macachia

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007

Does this article have the correct time for UK online availability. The article says 12:01 but the apple website says that's PST which actually equates to 08:01 British Summer Time.

that's exactly what I'm wondering

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

that's exactly what I'm wondering

No, it's been confirmed as 12:01am BST.

-MaK-

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011

this statement or concern woukd only make sense with the iPhone 5s....

due to the fact that the 5c is "last year's model" this only woukd make sense if the iPhone 4s was selling out during the time the iPhone 5 preorders started.

therefore, this statement is total BS!

the 5c seems to be doing extraordinarily well for a phone that everyone claims to be too expensive and just old tech...:p

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But the colored iPhone isn't the phone with all the new features. So those buying it most likely are not the ones who would get up at midnight to place an order or stand in line at a store to get it. I guess the question is why Apple felt a pre order was necessary. Unless they wanted to gauge which colors were the most popular?

I can just picture the rapid phone calls (ala Fast Food chains)

"I need another green iPhone 5C"
"Two red 5Cs over here - with extra cases"
"I need a red, green and blue 5C - no cases. Extra headphones on the side"

:p

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
No mention of availability at carrier stores on the 20th.

Will Verizon et al not be selling the phone that day at the B&M?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

The ugly colors as well could play a part..

rob25255

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
London
email from apple iPhone 5s order time

Can you provide a link to confirm that. I have searched everywhere on the apple uk site and don't see the time. I can find the screenshot above but the time seems to have been removed.

Got this email from apple last Friday about both the 5c and 5s:)

Attachments

• IMG_1938.PNG
    IMG_1938.PNG
    185.4 KB · Views: 71

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
this statement or concern woukd only make sense with the iPhone 5s....

due to the fact that the 5c is "last year's model" this only woukd make sense if the iPhone 4s was selling out during the time the iPhone 5 preorders started.

therefore, this statement is total BS!

the 5c seems to be doing extraordinarily well for a phone that everyone claims to be too expensive and just old tech...:p

Yes, if the 5s had been released first, it would have sold out everywhere and the 5c would be selling quietly in the background and nobody would take any notice of the 5c sales as the emphasis would be on the 5s

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well I will only consider any iPhone launch to be a success when they reach the level of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. These to me were the biggst launches that sold out very quickly, so IMO this 5c launch is nothing to reflect any success at all so far.
And I also read that their has been a lot of trouble making the finger print scanner for the 5s, hence no pre-orders for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.