Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
My dad has a business deal where he gets some percentage off of data plans with Verizon.

So where do you guys think I should go w/ my dad to get the iPhone asap on launch day?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
My dad has a business deal where he gets some percentage off of data plans with Verizon.

So where do you guys think I should go w/ my dad to get the iPhone asap on launch day?

Apple.com or verizon.com

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
so the best bet is to preorder off of those sites? I'm just worried about the web traffic on the launch days. How long does the iPhone typically sell out for?

Just try to order off the Apple website, it might be a laggy process but will be worth it. Otherwise, try standing in line at an Apple store or possibly a Verizon store (not sure about that one, I'm not actually from the US).

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I lined up for several hours (was first in line). Also got assaulted by the media.

Trust me. Waiting in the afternoon and over night was much less agonizing than waiting during the morning. My store ran out of general (non reserved) stock fairly quickly and was slow moving. + The overnight crowd (IOS developers, nerds, general fanboys) is way more fun than caffeine fueled hipsters and business executives miffed that the line is so long.

I didn't want to wait a week or two (or three) for mine so I got out there and worked for it. Nothing wrong w/ that :apple:

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
I lined up for several hours (was first in line). Also got assaulted by the media.

Trust me. Waiting in the afternoon and over night was much less agonizing than waiting during the morning. My store ran out of general (non reserved) stock fairly quickly and was slow moving. + The overnight crowd (IOS developers, nerds, general fanboys) is way more fun than caffeine fueled hipsters and business executives miffed that the line is so long.

I didn't want to wait a week or two (or three) for mine so I got out there and worked for it. Nothing wrong w/ that :apple:

wow nice job. How early do you typically go? and how long was your wait?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I prefer pre-ordering and physical pick up at the Apple Store. Though it doesn't happen often, I don't want to be one of the unlucky few who get a phone with a flaw right out of the box.
This way, you are guaranteed a phone AND get to see it before you leave the store with it.
That has been my approach with the two iPhones I've purchased so far and it works well.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
wow nice job. How early do you typically go? and how long was your wait?

Last time I showed up at around 5:30 PM (the day before). The non reserve line was already 15 people deep. The reserve line was empty of course until I showed up. A steady stream of people until 12:00 PM that night. Few folks until about 4:00 then everybody and their dog started to show up. Security & adjacent businesses had a hard time about it because folks were blocking the door ways.

I was out in about 10 minutes.

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
Last time I showed up at around 5:30 PM (the day before). The non reserve line was already 15 people deep. The reserve line was empty of course until I showed up. A steady stream of people until 12:00 PM that night. Few folks until about 4:00 then everybody and their dog started to show up. Security & adjacent businesses had a hard time about it because folks were blocking the door ways.

I was out in about 10 minutes.

wow, I'm going to have to give you props for staying from 5:30 til 7. Were there that many people coming at midnight? I am considering just going at midnight.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Ordering online is the simplest (most of the time) and easiest way to get the new iPhone. As much as I love Apple and their products, I'm not going to campout at a local store overnight. I'll simply just order the product online.

Mahshall

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Well, for the iPhone 4 I was in the mall and saw the line outside the Apple store. So I joined the non pre-ordered line at 2pm.

I was out of there with my new phone by 9pm. It was an experience I won't forget and would defiantly do it again... only next time I'll pre-order since that line was moving at a much faster rate.

Djs621

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I find a ISP store in the last place people would look, maybe somewhere in the outskirts of the city, maybe in a part of the city nobody expected to have the iPhone. I get their phone number and ask if they'll be getting the iPhones on the launch day. And then i stand about 20mins before the store opens.

That's how i got my iPhone 3G on the first day!

lol, we're talking about launch day tactics when the phone hasn't even been announced yet..

That sounds pretty good actually.. How do you find ISP's and what are the likelihood of them actually carrying??

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
Well, for the iPhone 4 I was in the mall and saw the line outside the Apple store. So I joined the non pre-ordered line at 2pm.

I was out of there with my new phone by 9pm. It was an experience I won't forget and would defiantly do it again... only next time I'll pre-order since that line was moving at a much faster rate.

wow and that was on launch day? that's really not that bad

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Add me to the "pre-order and wait for the UPS/FedEx driver" list.

I'd rather wait for the delivery than deal with the crowd and line at the stores.

Just my opinion.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
Are pre-orders just thru the apple site or can you do it on Verizon.com as well? I suspect a majority of iFreaks will want the Apple experience.

Oh, it just occurred to me that we have $50 upgrade credits which can probably be used only at Verizon.

I'm not nearly as anxious to get an iPhone as I am to get rid of my current not-very-smart phone.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Most likely Verizon as well. Generally though you are better buying straight from Apple if possible rather then from a carrier.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
Generally though you are better buying straight from Apple if possible rather then from a carrier.

Before Verizon came on board I considered switching to ATT who at that time had a 2 week no-questions-asked return policy. (maybe 30 days? It's been a few years.). Apple did not so there was a clear advantage to buying from the carrier. Of course that was then and that was them.

Mahshall

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
wow and that was on launch day? that's really not that bad

Not that bad. The managers often reminded non-preorder customers that they did not guarantee everyone in line a phone then closed the line after I arrived.

After a few hours, they "found a box" of phones in the back that was just for us non-preorder folk.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
If you pre-order on Apple's website you're guaranteed to get it on day one? Oh and how long is it before they usually go out of stock?

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
If you pre-order on Apple's website you're guaranteed to get it on day one? Oh and how long is it before they usually go out of stock?

If it is rumored that they are going to start pre order at 3AM EST again then I suggest you be ready at 3AM EST. Waiting any longer is taking a big risk.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
be ready at 3AM EST. Waiting any longer is taking a big risk.

Please define "big risk". Will ordering a few hours later translate to getting the phone by day 5 or am I looking at day 25 or worse? I've been waiting for months and can stand another week or two but probably no more.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I don't think anyone can really answer that and be 100% sure. Last year the iPhone 4 sold out in a matter of hours. Once it is sold out you are not guaranteed to get it on day one, it's first come first serve, they ship them out just as fast as they can make them it just depends how many people order before you do.

This year I think it is anyone's guess on how quick the pre orders will sell out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.