Launch three apps at the exact same time?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lazyasada, Aug 19, 2009.

1. lazyasada macrumors newbie

Is there a way to launch three apps at the exact same time to see which loads faster.

Like if i wanted all three apps to launch at 5:00 P.M could i do it. If so how? may you please post links or a guide here.

Thanks, lazyasada

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Hold command and choose which you want to open, then press enter.

Attached Files:

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You would get a much better measurement launching them separately. Also, if doing repeated measurements, they would need to be launched and timed after a fresh boot. Otherwise, caching will effect the load times.

If you're trying to see if/how they effect each other's load times, I don't see how you will easily get repeatable results.

4. lazyasada thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

I don't know why i didn't think of this.

5. lazyasada thread starter macrumors newbie

I am doing a review on three applications and i need to know which loads faster, of course i don't want them to lag because I'm opening them, all at the same time.

So is there a app that can record it?

6. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

ScreenFlow, iShowU and QuickTime X (Free in Snow Leopard)

7. lazyasada thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply but i am not interested in a screen recorder, i am more interested in a log application where it will show me what time it launch, what time it closed, and how long it was opened for, something like that.

8. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25407

records when it started and stopped but the description didn't mention something calculating how long did it take to start, it's kinda hard to find this kind of app.

9. lazyasada thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much.

But if you can find another that would be great, i have money so it doesn't matter about the price.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Won't Instruments that install with XCode do all manner of performance tests?

I don't use XCode (yet) but I know that Instruments can be set to watch a process to see the memory usage, when it read/writes data to your disk, CPU usage, all that jumbo. It's got a timeline as well, so no need for a stopwatch.

11. lazyasada thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the app how do you use it?

12. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

check performance tools in the application folder in xcode folder.

I'm doing research now about it

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I haven't used it for production and I only know from my messing around, but that aside, if you want to start messing around, a good place to start would be to select 'CPU Sampler' when it asks you. On that window should be 'Sampler' and 'Activity Monitor'. You can add various other instruments that monitor other aspect from the gear symbol at the very bottom left of the window, and going to 'Add Instruments'. You can start with by adding 'File Activity' and/or 'Disc Monitor'.

Now click on the Red Record button at the top left. It will ask you to find a app/process to record, choose one, then proceed. It will start doing it's magic. Play around and see if it does what you want.