Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I can confirm the same. I have Affinity Designer from the AppStore and when launching it takes 15 seconds or so to get the splash screen. Subsequent opens are quick. I had used this app in the past on this MBP so it definitely wasn't a "first" run. It may have updated since or the MBP may have rebooted since last time....
The slow launch times can happen after a reboot or even if you haven't rebooted but haven't used Affinity for an extended period of time. My disappointment is that the apps downloaded from Affinity direct have never shown the delay, and now they are. Frustrating. M1=speed, except for Affinity.

andyr77

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
The slow launch times can happen after a reboot or even if you haven't rebooted but haven't used Affinity for an extended period of time. My disappointment is that the apps downloaded from Affinity direct have never shown the delay, and now they are. Frustrating. M1=speed, except for Affinity.
This is NOT an M1 issue. Same behavior on Intel Macs. Either either an App Store issue, or Affinity doing some initial checks.

Reactions: ventmore

davidbailey00

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
I'm also experiencing launch delays in Affinity Photo and Designer on my M1 MBP, however using the standalone versions from Serif's website rather than the App Store version

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
I see this on my 16" MBP. Looking at Activity Monitor while it is launching, syspolicyd is spinning at 100% CPU during that 15 second startup time.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Can confirm that Affinity apps are turtle slow opening. On a new M1 MBA here.

theodorr

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
It's the same for me. But I've noticed this across the board compared to Windows: Microsoft Office, Chrome... all native but they all seem generally slow to open. This M1 Air is my 2nd Mac (1st one being a mid 2012 13' Pro) and I was expecting this thing to fly but some apps take forever to load... subsequent openings dramatically reduce load time.

theodorr

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2019
Affinity Suite always opened in around 3-4 seconds on my mid2012 MBP 13' with an average SSD in it. In Windows, on a pc with a NVMe drive, it also takes like 2-3 seconds to open. On my M1 Air it either opens in like 1-2 seconds or like 7-8 seconds, looking like I have an HDD in my Air... but this slow opening time happens with the majority of 3rd party apps on my M1 Air. I'm so used with my iPhone opening apps extremely fast that the Air feels like an average computer form 2011 in this regard. Keep in mind that I've wiped my drive and reinstalled Big Sur from scratch.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
You could try opening your Console, click on "Start Streaming" and then open your apps to see if anything relevant stands out under the "Errors and Faults" tab.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2020
To OP: this delay of 17sec is happening due bug with syspolicyd process on M1.

On affected system - if you launch Activity Monitor and look at CPU resources - then launch Affinity software - syspolicyd will spike to 60-70% of CPU.

Syspolicyd is linked to SIP, protection against system integrity attacks. On M1 it works slightly different as SIP in M1 is more restrictive.

On fresh installs - there is no issues.
It will work normally without delays.

But if you fiddled with SIP or Recovery terminal commands (still has to be determined which ones) - this syspolicyd bug is triggered and will persist until you reinstall/update the OS.

It manifests as super slow 1st launch of the apps after boot. But consequent launches will be happening normally.

Reboot again - and 1st launch of the same app will be again super slow, but the next one will be normal. Most people dont notice this at all - but... some do...

To only solution to this - that I am aware of is reinstall. I noticed this bug incidentally when I migrated apps from M1 MBA (affected with bug) to my new M1 MBP (fresh install) and immediately noticed difference in launch speeds. Launching activity monitor on both devices - syspolicyd process was having completely different behaviour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coheebuzz

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Got my new M1 Mac Mini setup. Added some initial apps, including the three Affinity apps (Photo, Publisher and Designer). I noticed that when I launch them, it takes quite a bit of time before their splash screen comes up (about 17 seconds each, to be exact).
Mine open up almost instantly. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but Rosetta 2 is not being used.

Affinity suite is now native on M1 Apple Silicon (and has been for a while)!

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2020
Mine open up almost instantly. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but Rosetta 2 is not being used.

Affinity suite is now native on M1 Apple Silicon (and has been for a while)!
Check my reply above yours.

You havent triggered SIP issue...

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
Clean new M1 Mac here, downloaded Affinity from App Store (no previous installs), also have the 20 second launch time

Last edited:

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
Affinity have suggested making a copy of the apps and loading from those. Then after the initial load it will load quite quickly, even after a reboot. I can confirm that seems to be working so far. I made a copy to my downloads folder then copied those back to the applications folder to overwrite the originals.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
There is definitely a problem with launch times on the Affinity apps downloaded through the App Store. This started a couple of months ago and they are still trying to find a solution. It does not affect the versions that Affinity offers on their site only on the App Store versions. It is not M1-specific. the same kind of startup slowness happens on Intel.

It seems to be caused by something that the App Store does on install. As Steeley mentioned, one way around it is to copy the app files to a different location and then copy them back to Applications replacing the originals. that will take the start times from around 20-30 secs to 2-5 seconds. Each update resets this and you need to recopy the files again.

Affinity are certainly working on it but it seems to be something in the App Store causing it.

frank-ger

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
Starting Affinity Photo takes round about 10-13 seconds after reboot on my MBA 16/512. App was installed from Affinity webpage, latest version 1.9.1

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2020
As I wrote above - launch Activity Monitor and switch to CPU tab...

Then launch any Affinity app but observe CPU tab on Activity Monitor.

If during that long app boot syspolicyd process takes 60-70% of CPU load, then its a SIP issue. Issue is not isolated to Affinity but to MS Office too, SketchUp and other apps with larger binaries.

frank-ger

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
Yes, I can confirm that the syspolicyd takes 70% CPU for more the 10 seconds during first start of Affinity apps, but my Affinity apps are not loaded via Appstore.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I use Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher on my M1 MacBook Air (Downloaded from the website, not the AppStore ones), and they have been slow as molasses in January since I got my M1 in December.

However, with the latest 1.9.1 updates, which came out at the end of February, the launch speed is no longer an issue for me.

They have been launching so quickly that until now I hadn't bothered even thinking about the time it took. But as we are specifically discussing it, I just whipped out my timer to do a test and each of the apps now launches in under 2.5 seconds.

So, if you haven't already I'd suggest updating to 1.9.1, it's made a massive improvement to mine.

frank-ger

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
Have you done the tests after rebooting your MBA? For me it takes long time (>10 seconds) only direct after reboot. When I close an app and open again, then there is no high load time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.