Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Have you done the tests after rebooting your MBA? For me it takes long time (>10 seconds) only direct after reboot. When I close an app and open again, then there is no high load time.

I just have after reading your post, the times are slightly different, but how much of that is down to my reaction time, or the apps, well, there's give or take as there's really not a lot in it. As far as I can tell the slow launching has been completely rectified in the 1.9.1 releases on my system.

Anyway, after a cold boot of my MacBook Air these are the times I got: 2.87 for Photo, 2.71 for Designer and 3.01 for Publisher.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
On the Affinity Forums, it's noted that macOS malware detection is causing slow start times of Affinity apps (the first time they are run after a reboot). The malware detection is more aggressive than in older versions of macOS. In particular, the Affinity apps are tagged as requiring Just In Time compilation (unlike most apps), which appears to result in a more extensive malware check. Affinity say that it would require a huge redevelopment to change the JIT dependency, so it could be a while before startup performance gets any better.

The good news is that once the malware check is performed following a reboot, subsequent opening of the Affinity apps is much faster.

Reactions: Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
On the Affinity Forums, it's noted that macOS malware detection is causing slow start times of Affinity apps (the first time they are run after a reboot). The malware detection is more aggressive than in older versions of macOS. In particular, the Affinity apps are tagged as requiring Just In Time compilation (unlike most apps), which appears to result in a more extensive malware check. Affinity say that it would require a huge redevelopment to change the JIT dependency, so it could be a while before startup performance gets any better.

The good news is that once the malware check is performed following a reboot, subsequent opening of the Affinity apps is much faster.
Yes, the longish start time is a mild annoyance but I usually only open Affinity once a day or so. Once it is open, I’ve got it open for a while until I’m done with it. I don’t do a whole series of open/close so the impact is pretty minimal.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
AFFINITY PHOTO is slower launching than on my 2013 MBP intel, but once launched, its about 10 times faster. I’LL TAKE THAT!

And its right that after the first time, it launches normally.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.