Law and Order SVU: shown with a horizontal SMS screen **UPDATED w/ PICS**

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdl8422, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

The show premiered tonight at 9:00 central on NBC. In the first 3min or so they showed a man texting with his iphone with a horizontal keyboard. Sorry I dont have screen shots, but it might be on NBC.com at some point.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't know what the video was, but considering that Office Space had a Mac shut down to a C:> prompt, I can tell you that they can make devices do anything in movies and TV. Remember when Jeff Goldblum infected an alien ship with viruses from a little iBook? Yah, I don't think "iVirus for Aliens" came with Mac OS back then. :)

3. walnuts macrumors 6502

Yes but why got through such trouble to fake it? With no good reason, imagine what a pain it would be to fake that.

Was it just a glance of a horizontal SMS screen or was it central to the scene (maybe they had to make it landscape because the viewer reading the text was mportant?)

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i saw that tonight and thought, damn that dude can type fast on his iphone

5. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

The point of it was to show the character texting. At first all u hear is the clicking of the keys then they show it for a couple of seconds. It is was an iphone with a silicon cover and a horizontal keyboard. The weird part was that the keyboard took up about 85% of the screen. If it was real, it seems to be very awkward to type on it since you could only see prob about 1 or 2 lines. I agree, it wasn't necessary at all to fake it. maybe it was the "new" iphone, im not sure, I just wish I had some screen caps. I'll work on downloading the video.

6. JohngPR macrumors newbie

Maybe they were actually in the Safari browser.

7. LastZion macrumors 6502a

Didn't see it but thats my guess

8. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

on the last episode of csi miami the iphone the showed was doing all kinds of crazy stuff that had nothing to do with what it usually looks like :)

9. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I finally was able to download the video... Here are some screen shots:

Attached Files:

10. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I guess it does look legit, but then again in the movie Transformers sheiagh lebauff or whatever his name is was playing xbox 360 and things popped up that were made specifically for the movie and did not really look authentic anyways.

This picture however, does look authentic, but my money is on the fact that the show editors did something to make the phone look like that.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You mean the cars that turned into big robots?

12. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Yeah even though it is a movie with tons and tons of effects there was a tv show too that did something that xbox 360s don't do.

13. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yeah, I noticed that too. Some weird chatroom they were going to.

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

15. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

And don't forget Disney's widely used "Pear Computers"

Combination between a Mac and a PC =P. With the "Apple" logo as a pear.

it does look very legit. Maybe the producers hired a jailbreak developer =P. Or maybe they hired someone with access to the SDK and 2.0 and quickly coded something.

16. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

thats safari

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Excuse me but the people that say it's safari either have never seen the iPhone in their life, or are just ignorant.

I FORGOT SAFARI HAD A BLUE SEND BUTTON

To confirm i'm correct, there is no refresh button or magnifying class at the top. From the looks of it it is also a full name in the middle.

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I had not looked that closely before. You are right, this does look very much like SMS. Well we'll see, but I still wouldn't get your hopes up.

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Don't get too excited. This is a prop for a TV show/movie and is most likely nonfunctional. The image is probably a screenshot loaded into the photos app on the iphone... if it even IS an iphone. Since it is so heavily disguised by the rubber case, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a touch masquerading as an iphone.

If any TV show were to unveil a new product before it was available to the public, it would not be hidden like this. The manufacturer would want everyone to know it was new so they would want to buy it. In the Transformers movie, for example, the 2009 camaro got a lot of screen time.

20. bensternater333 macrumors member

he could be on an AIM app on safari!
    that's what it looks like to me.....

21. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I don't know any safarri AIM app that looks like that, but i could be wrong. I'm not on either side of this debate, just finding fault with everyone!!

22. newyorksole macrumors 68020

To all the people that think it is safari..what is wrong with you seriously? Since when does Safari have a blue send button

23. transam7816 macrumors regular

and if you look on the bottom left of the screen it seems like there's an extra button between the ".?123" button and the "space" button

edit: nevermind it's just the "." button.

24. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Possibly the alternative language button?

25. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It doesn't look to be in Safari as the top part is definitely not from Safari, but the keyboard seems to be taken directly from Safari's landscape keyboard when entering a URL. Especially since the bottom part has three buttons and a blue button which in safari is the "Go" button. But I have an iPod touch, so I don't know for sure.