Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
What about 2010 MacBook Pros that had failing Nvidia GT330M's? Like mine and a friend's and many others... that'd be nice if I was compensated for the over $300 it cost to get it repaired after it broke.

ilikecorn500

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Here's an interesting story:

I recently convinced my Grandmother to purchase a used MacBook Pro from eBay to replace her 5-year old cheap Dell from Best Buy. She just received it yesterday. It's a mid 2010 15". Unfortunately, these MacBooks have a problem with the graphics card as well, which causes the computer to randomly restart. We retuned the computer today. I was shopping for 2011 ones, because I thought they might not have a problem like this. It turns out, they do. It's a funny coincidence that the day she returned the computer, MacRumors posts information about a possible lawsuit regarding a computer that I was going to have replace a computer with a similar graphics problem. :p

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I will happily take part.

My MBP, however faithful and wicked awesome it's been, has had it's card fail already outside of AC (1.5-2 years),

If it failed at 18 months and you had to pay for it then you didn't have Apple Care. Not really sure that that can be blamed on Apple. After all, you had a chance to get it and didn't. Things happen. No one, not even Apple, can make a perfect machine 100% of the time. And Apple doesn't claim they can (despite snarks on sites like this claiming that is in fact what 'it just works' means)

ilikecorn500

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
What about 2010 MacBook Pros that had failing Nvidia GT330M's? Like mine and a friend's and many others... that'd be nice if I was compensated for the over $300 it cost to get it repaired after it broke.

Apple offered repairs for free, although it was only for up to 3 years from the date of purchase. There were a lot of people that didn't experience the problem until after that time, though, leaving them out of luck. It's stupid that they don't just repair it for free regardless. If you buy a $2000 computer, you shouldn't have to expect the graphics card to break after 3 years, then not have it repaired for free. That's just rediculous.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
2008 Mac book pro no issues except a hard drive that started to act up after 5 years of use. About 6 month ago I replaced my hdd with a 1.5 terabyte drive and 8gb of ram. Works good as new! Knocks on wood for 3-4 more years of service.

Apple did replace my battery a few years ago due to it being Sony recall battery.

I had a 00 PowerBook that gave up after 7 years with pinched video cable. I could have fixed it for under 100 bucks but I got a new MacBook Pro instead.

I also had a 05 G5 that got hit by electrical surge and the apple store just replaced everything even though it was an act of God and not really covered.

My 08 Cinema Display started to delaminate from the inside after about 8 months of usage. It was replaced with a brand new display with new 12 month warranty plus 4 months from my previous warranty.

So I guess I'm been very lucky with my apple products.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not a fan of class action suits but its these types of situations that its meant for. Clearly their is something wrong with the 2011 model and apple's refusal to listen to its customers if shocking. Hopefully they'll change directions and fix the MBPs

Clearly? So you know FOR FACT all the details. You know exactly what cut of machines have this issue and exactly what the issue is and that it is an overwhelming number of units, that there was nothing else going on in any of the reported cases like say someone dropped their machine or got it wet. Oh no, it was Apple's crap QA, bad boards, defective on delivery etc.

People like to spout off comments like yours based on anecdotal evidence on boards like this, the discussion forum on apple etc but never are all the facts present. So really no one knows anything concrete. Yes there might be a case and yes that might led to one of Apple's "Quality programs". Or there might be no case and Apple does it anyway to be nice. Or they might not be nice and after it is prove that there isn't really a case to sue tell those folks to piss off.

How about we stop playing armchair lawyer and judge and wait for the actual facts

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Apple offered repairs for free, although it was only for up to 3 years from the date of purchase. There were a lot of people that didn't experience the problem until after that time, though, leaving them out of luck. It's stupid that they don't just repair it for free regardless. If you buy a $2000 computer, you shouldn't have to expect the graphics card to break after 3 years, then not have it repaired for free. That's just rediculous.

As I said, mine was over 3 years and they fixed it for free as under EU legislation they had to, because the computer was faulty at point of sale. So it doesn't matter how old the 2010 model is.
I have no idea if in America you are restricted to the 3 year, I guess that must be the case?

I see plenty of pre unibody MB Pro's still chugging along, I expect any Mac to be the same. They are expensive for what they are and should be built to last.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Since these are supplier made parts, why is Apple being singled out for responsibility?

In other systemic failures - air crash and such, they will go after multiple players: from the manufacturers to Air Traffic Control to component manufacturers.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Clearly? So you know FOR FACT all the details. You know exactly what cut of machines have this issue and exactly what the issue is and that it is an overwhelming number of units, that there was nothing else going on in any of the reported cases like say someone dropped their machine or got it wet. Oh no, it was Apple's crap QA, bad boards, defective on delivery etc.

People like to spout off comments like yours based on anecdotal evidence on boards like this, the discussion forum on apple etc but never are all the facts present. So really no one knows anything concrete. Yes there might be a case and yes that might led to one of Apple's "Quality programs". Or there might be no case and Apple does it anyway to be nice. Or they might not be nice and after it is prove that there isn't really a case to sue tell those folks to piss off.

How about we stop playing armchair lawyer and judge and wait for the actual facts

Really? Have you not seen the 100+ page thread on Apple discussion on the issue? What about the multipage threads here. All these people didn't drop or spill on there machine.

I had a MacBook Pro 2011 that sat on a desk it's whole life. It was my desktop. It suddenly failed while working on finals. I got the Logic Board replaced and it failed again like a month later. I did nothing to harm it. Clearly it is a defect.

There are too many people having this issue for it to be from normal use and my Apple store even acknowledged continued issues from the model I was having. So why are you spouting off comments against people who share anecdotal evidence?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If Apple wouldn't be so greed, they would replace and get +1. Now they will lose some customers and will gain negative feedbacks... I love Apple products but their arrogance sometimes annoys me...

Arrogance?? you're as bad as Flynn and the rest of the folks that are finding Apple guilty without all the facts.

The store staff followed the rules. They aren't given the leeway to just repair or replace things, especially for free, cause they like your face. They have tests they have to do and rules they have to follow. If the machine is out of warranty they have to charge you for the repair. Those are the rules corporate created and told them to follow. That they won't bend the rules for you isn't arrogance, they aren't being mean to you, it's not personal.

No one has actually given factual evidence about how many units were sold, how many had the exact same issue from the exact same cause with no extenuating circumstances etc. No one has pointed to a video, a press release or anything else from Apple telling all those folks to piss off and shut up. So where is the guilt or the arrogance.

Apple has been known to extend service in some cases even out of warranty when they didn't necessarily have to. The faults were all well within industry standard tolerance as acceptable but Apple felt otherwise. Find where Dell, Samsung etc have acted the same. I bet you won't find too many examples.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
what about Mid-2010 Macbook Pro owners with the Nvidia GT330m? the symptoms are more benign (Kernel panics), more frustrating (can't use Motion 5 & FCP X, which will inevitably trigger a KP and once the KP starts--rebooting to start working on the project again will cause another KP making it unusable; ie: motion 5 will KP at render; or an effect will cause a KP in both FCP X or Motion 5; etc....)....

but, doing other work that is not important like surfing the web--when the notebook KP's--one can just reboot--reopen the browser and go back to the web page without usually triggering a KP. also, I have an SSD installed, so the reboot happens in seconds. so....

can the law action lawsuit also include the Mid-2010's w/ the GT330m dGPU?

FYI: the console message for this GPU-related KP is (in case lawyer's need this info):

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f975fcf7c): "GPU Panic: [<None>] 3 3 7f 0 0 0 0 3 : NVRM [0/1:0:0]: Read Error 0x000000100: CFG 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xfffffff, BAR0 0xd2000000 0xffffff813130f000 0x0a5480a2, D0, P2/4\n"@/SourceCache/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.6.22/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:127

PS--I feel for 2011 MBP owners but I think Mid-2010 MBP owners with this KP is in a far more frustrating situation since the laptop is not "dead," perse, but, wonky, handicapped, cancerous (if tech can get cancer), ummm what else... stupid, won't compute (which for a computer is a big red flag), etc, etc, etc

PSS--if my laptop was dead like the mid-2011 owners, i'd feel better only to know that I can't use the computer. I CAN MOVE ON!!!! with the Mid-2010 MBP, it's not dead and thus I feel like it's perfectly fine, but it's not. know what i'm saying?

Last edited:

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I had a problem a couple months after the 3 yr mark. It was definitely a graphics issue. I payed $300 something for repairs, and a 90 day warranty. No problems so far.

I really wanted to get more information on what was wrong and when I got the computer back they were hesitant to give me the information. They showed me some repair codes, and said they didn't know what they meant. :rolleyes:

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I think Apple should cover everyone that had issues within a 5 year limit and then after that your on your own since most electronics conk out after 5 years. Most PC laptops I've had in the past never lasted more then 2-3 yrs at best. My old toughbook didn't even last 2 yrs..

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Really? Have you not seen the 100+ page thread on Apple discussion on the issue?

Over and over. Enough to notice that in many cases an easy 80-90% of the posts are just folks ranting about how crappy Apple is. Or 'victims' ranting about the issue and how they won't bother taking it to Apple cause it won't be fixed, even if they are under warranty. How they never buy Apple Care cause it's a rip off and then this kind of thing always happens. Cause their tin foil hats tell them that Apple does this on purpose to make more money off of them. But they still buy Apple stuff.

And it doesn't change that in the end we don't have actual facts to say what or how big the issue is. Anymore than any other time.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Since these are supplier made parts, why is Apple being singled out for responsibility?

In other systemic failures - air crash and such, they will go after multiple players: from the manufacturers to Air Traffic Control to component manufacturers.

Because your sales contract is with Apple and not it's suppliers, hence Apple have to fix the issues.

what about Mid-2010 Macbook Pro owners with the Nvidia GT330m? the symptoms are more benign (Kernel panics), more frustrating (can't use Motion 5 & FCP X, which will inevitably trigger a KP and once the KP starts--rebooting to start working on the project again will cause another KP making it unusable; ie: motion 5 will KP at render; or an effect will cause a KP in both FCP X or Motion 5; etc....)....

but, doing other work that is not important like surfing the web--when the notebook KP's--one can just reboot--reopen the browser and go back to the web page without usually triggering a KP. also, I have an SSD installed, so the reboot happens in seconds. so....

FYI: the console message for this GPU-related KP is (in case lawyer's need this info):

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f975fcf7c): "GPU Panic: [<None>] 3 3 7f 0 0 0 0 3 : NVRM [0/1:0:0]: Read Error 0x000000100: CFG 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xfffffff, BAR0 0xd2000000 0xffffff813130f000 0x0a5480a2, D0, P2/4\n"@/SourceCache/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.6.22/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:127

As I have said repeatedly, if you're in the UK get it fixed for free under EU legislation. If you're not then not sure, but if you pop along to your local genius bar it takes them literally 5 mins to run a quick test and tell you if your GPU is affected by the known fault or not.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009

PS--I feel for 2011 MBP owners but I think Mid-2010 MBP owners with this KP is in a far more frustrating situation since the laptop is not "dead," perse, but, wonky, handicapped, cancerous (if tech can get cancer), ummm what else... stupid, won't compute (which for a computer is a big red flag), etc, etc, etc

PSS--if my laptop was dead like the mid-2011 owners, i'd feel better only to know that I can't use the computer. with the Mid-2010 MBP, it's not dead and thus I feel like it's perfectly fine, but it's not. know what i'm saying?

I have the 2010 too, it KPs weekly. Nothing I can do about other than sell to a craigslist buyer.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I think Apple should cover everyone that had issues within a 5 year limit

Why not? Hey you know what, in the state of California they legally have to be able to repair or replace any electronics for 7 years. So lets do that. Lets give everyone a 7 year full warranty including damage on all Apple products. But how dare Apple raise the price to cover it. Not one penny. They have billions in the bank they can afford it.

And even better. If you have any issue at all, no matter how minor you get an instant swap to a new retail boxed whatever. Oh that model is no longer sold, great you get an upgrade

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Why not? Hey you know what, in the state of California they legally have to be able to repair or replace any electronics for 7 years. So lets do that. Lets give everyone a 7 year full warranty including damage on all Apple products. But how dare Apple raise the price to cover it. Not one penny. They have billions in the bank they can afford it.

And even better. If you have any issue at all, no matter how minor you get an instant swap to a new retail boxed whatever. Oh that model is no longer sold, great you get an upgrade

Reading your posts mate, I'm going to say you got out of the wrong side of bed today?? Do you need a hug? :p

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Because your sales contract is with Apple and not it's suppliers, hence Apple have to fix the issues.

As I have said repeatedly, if you're in the UK get it fixed for free under EU legislation. If you're not then not sure, but if you pop along to your local genius bar it takes them literally 5 mins to run a quick test and tell you if your GPU is affected by the known fault or not.

i did that already. i don't want to pay $310 to have the LB replaced since Apple has already stated that it's "Latent Manufacturing Defect," which usually means it's not what it says it is. but, Apple is just using it to cover something. know what i'm saying?

again, can't afford LB replacement. and i don't think i will even do a LB replacement, even if i could afford it. it's an old laptop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.