Lazy Susan for nMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by abeasom, Feb 17, 2014.

1. abeasom macrumors newbie

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I hope that someone can design and build a similar thing using aluminium. The build quality should match that of the nMP.

It would be better if it has two layers so that the upper layer rotates relative to the lower layer that stays still relative to the desk.

3. abeasom thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm hoping for the same thing, but figured this would suffice until then. At that point, I'll retire the Amazon Lazy Susan to the kitchen.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I have a tough time understanding how someone would need a turntable to make a 10-inch tall, 11-pound cylinder easy to turn. I think it's wonderfully easy to turn when needed, with one hand. But, if one is challenged by the weight, then there's this: http://www.amazonsupply.com/waxman-7030-reusable-sliders-oatmeal/dp/B000PB4G04
    Or, why turn it at all? Just call the ports "front", and then no need to move it at all.
    (Maybe I live too simply?)
    And, knowing that the thunderbolt cables don't lock in place, you then don't risk accidentally disconnecting one of your devices when you turn your nMP.

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

A turntable for the nMP may have the following two benefits:

1. It may be easier to turn the nMP and it can protect the surface of the desk and the bottom of the nMP. This benefit is actually minor.

2. Some peripherals can be built into the turntable, such as an optical disk drive or a thunderbolt storage unit. This benefit is potentially huge.

We can foresee that many third-party turntable-like accessories for the nMP will appear.

6. abeasom thread starter macrumors newbie

This is my main reason for purchasing it. The corner of my desk where the cable management is, is a rough plastic finish and I do not wish to scratch the bottom of my $6000 machine.
    If others have a nice, smooth wooden desk, that's great, but I don't.

7. wildmac macrumors 65816

This is actually a cool idea. Might consider one myself.

8. Bones13 macrumors member

Bones13

I purchased a 12 inch marble tile at Lowes, and a set of "rug protectors" which are spikes, to keep the marble from flattening the carpet, and raise it off the floor some. I don't expect to have to turn it very often.

9. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

A friend of a friend apparently sits his on a broken Pioneer CDJ CD turntable in his studio :D

10. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

But a lazy-susan prevents the back from "illuminating"... Perhaps a White MJ glove would do the trick to keep the smudges away. :roll eyes: I'm surprised they don't include one in the box. :D

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Why would you place that piece of crap under such a beautiful device is beyond me!!

12. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Did (will) you put something more beautiful than the nMP under the nMP?

13. snouter macrumors 6502a

I've done several overnight renders with the CPUs pegged at 100% for 16-24 hours. The bottom never even got warm and the CPUs never exceeded around 77C.

The nMP works fine sitting on a hard flat surface, as-is.

If you want to do something like this for some other reason, that's fine, but I doubt it has any benefits regarding airflow/cooling.

14. abeasom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your fragment. I guess you didn't read what I posted above:

"The corner of my desk where the cable management is, is a rough plastic finish and I do not wish to scratch the bottom of my $6000 machine.
    If others have a nice, smooth wooden desk, that's great, but I don't."

That's why.

----------

I wasn't looking for any benefits really. I was curious if it would interfere will the airflow/cooling. I have done a lot of video compressions overnight (either in Compressor or Toast) and have not noticed any significant heat. I'd like to keep it that way, even with the nMP sitting on something other than a hard desk.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I read your post but given the $6000 spend why not invest in a new desk rather than a tacky piece of plastic?

16. abeasom thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair question. It's a lot easier to buy a piece of plastic than to purchase a new desk and redo all of the cables (I make a lot of my cables). In addition to the nMP, I have a small mixer I use to feed different audio devices as well as a rack that houses all of that gear and my external drives. For me, it's not an easy lift everything up, slide the old desk out and the new one in.

17. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It will be fine. If it's not fine, add some rubber feet for additional clearance.

18. Anim macrumors 6502a

Anim

If you have access to a woodwork shop (school / university / local carpenter etc) then you could always make your own designed to be an exact (hidden) size for the nMP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-L3PW4J30w

And then paint it gloss black or use a dark varnish.