LCD which looks like Apple cinema display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supolka, Aug 13, 2009.

1. supolka macrumors newbie

Hi there. I need your help. In the past I read an article about LCD monitors which look the same like Apple cinema display (I don't know name, company which produces the LCD, any details). But now, I can't find any article about this. I would like to buy a new LCD for my MacBook and I want to compare this good looking LCD with other brands. Thank you very much for your advice.

2. supolka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. These ones look great, but there is also another company which produces similar products and you can buy them today...

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Dell has one which uses the same panel - is that what you mean?

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

The HP? Comes in a 20 and a 23"

[​IMG]

Bestbuy sells them.

5. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Hazro makes a few monitors that look somewhat like the old aluminium cinema displays.... Doublesight's 30" and Apple's 30" are somewhat similar IIRC.

7. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

You know that the 24" ACD's are in the refurb store now for $599 with free shipping?

Nothing looks better than the real thing.

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

'Cept mo' money in my wallet :eek::D

9. supolka thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right, CinemaView is the company I was looking for. I was confused because they also offered 19" and 20" models but they changed their product line.

CinemaView 24 looks great but I am looking for something smaller 19" or 20"...

10. supolka thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that nothing looks better than ACD :) $599 is good price but I am from Europe a my budget is only 300 euro

11. supolka thread starter macrumors newbie

12. waiwai macrumors regular

First off you should know a little more about "why" ACD's are more expensive. The number one reason is being the panel type and then 2nd is the aesthetics. All ACD's are IPS monitors. These are top of the line panels that are able to reproduce "true" colors and have little or no distortion at any viewing angle. These panels are made for professional use (for photographers, videographers and graphics intensive applications).

The Dell SX2210 you referred to "looks" decent. But as far as functionality and quality, it is mediocre. It is a TN panel, the cheapeast of panels. Sure it is fine for your "daily" web surfing, word processing, gaming and movie viewing. But it really isn't a workhorse display. Now from the sounds of it, you haven't a clue or don't care about the functionality of the monitor and are just in it for the looks. So be it. But know what you're getting into before you're throw money into it.

13. kasakka macrumors 68000

Are you folks seriously buying a monitor based on what the frame looks like?

14. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you looking for the same quality panel or are you looking to get one that that has a similar physical design, but not necessarily have the same panel technology?

16. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You may want to consider refurbished...

For $599 you can buy the 24" LED Apple Cinema Display refurbished at Apple.com. It's impossible to find an LED backlit 24" display with the specs, web cam, speakers, USB hub, and power for your Mac notebook all in one for that price.

It's the nicest display I have ever owned. It's like the perfect docking station for my MacBook Air. It feels incredibly large, bright, and has amazing color.

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I have some of those HP's

[​IMG]

They look nice and go with my Apple look. Plus, at $100 each for a 20", it was an amazing price.

18. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I thought we decided these were a scam since they kept pushing back the release dates. I smell sarcasm though, ;)

19. supolka thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, I don't compare Dell SX2210 with ACD. I know about quality of ACD, I know what is what ISP, TN etc. I don't need professional monitor... My budget is 300 Eur and I think I can buy good looking monitor and good quality.

20. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm just wondering how you like this set up. At the moment, I have a 24" iMac and a 15" MBP (first gen.). I am considering shifting all of this for a 24" LED backlit etc. with a uMBP. The thing is, at one point I worked off of a macbook and a Dell 24" (can't remember the model exactly). I wasn't really wild about the setup. It was a pain connecting, disconnecting etc. (especially because I needed the connecting cables with me) everyday. It seems like with these it is easier to connect and disconnect. Anyway, thoughts?

21. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I guess it depends on what you do. I will be getting a uMBP next month with a 24" screen but I am still looking at getting a desktop Mac next year. Don't think I could be doing with connecting and disconnecting cables all the time though.

22. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

[​IMG]
    HP w2207 ... black bezel and silver tray.

Not as pretty as the ACD, but close.

23. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Hooking up the MBP to the LED ACD is not a pain at all not much to connect really, it's the USB hubs, printer, external HDD and iPhone/iPod that gets annoying. However if you plan on connecting your MBP to a TV and to watch movies off of it through PLEX or Boxee, I would definitely recommend getting a desktop mac (mac mini is perfect). I could not imagine transferring the my MBP from external monitor to TV all the time with all the cables.