Leaf Blowers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tilpots, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Yes, yes, folks, this thread is finally happening here at MacRumors. I know you've all been chomping at the bit waiting for it, especially considering fall's just past and there are no more leaves to blow around...:confused:

Anyway, I got a couple of Gift cards for Christmas to Lowe's and Home Depot and need some recommendations. This thread was extremely useful in my decision to purchase a vacuum so I figured I'd give it a shot here. I recently moved in to a new house and while I have some leaves to blow, my primary purpose would be to move sand and hopefully mulch. The yard is not big so I could go gas or electric. I also would probably go handheld over backpack. Looking to spend around $200 range. So far I'm leaning towards these models based on reviews:

Husqvarna 125BVX - Gas - $199

Toro Ultra - electric - $70

Any experience or advice you can offer? Thanks! :)

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

For the electric, the Toro is good choice. For gas, I've had great luck with the Echo line from the Home Depot.

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

if you go with electric make sure it has a battery. If you have to keep it plugged in it's a pita. I tried leaf blowers and eventually found just plain old raking to be more convenient

4. Mr. McMac, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have an Echo backpack blower and a Toro electric hand held. The Toro is great for small cleanups, but when it comes down to serious fall cleanups, nothing beats a backpack blower

Attached Files:

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

get a gas one or one that runs off a battery. The plug-in electric ones are a complete pain in the arse for anything but the smallest of yards.

I love my stihl backpack blower, but since you are talking about Lowe's or Home Depot I would suggest a gas powered Echo backpack model.

I had a handheld gas leaf blower and it worked fine, but a backpack is SO much nicer when trying to get leaves around and cleaned up in the fall

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That's because you're not blowing your leaves on to the streets like an obnoxious neighbor.:rolleyes: [rant]Shell shocked outta a nice dream by the roar of a leaf blower at 6 am ain't my idea of a good time. It's worst when you look out the window and the culprit is you neighbor blowing leaves on to the street.:mad:[/rant]

I rake the my leaves as well...12 bags and counting... I've got a Homelite (the cheapest of the cheap) blower. I only use it to clean up the driveway after raking. It's faster than sweeping, easier on the back as well.:)

7. jk111 macrumors regular

Definitely recommend Echo as well, I've had several of their products from blowers to weed wackers and never have had a problem with them. Go with gas, you won't regret it. Much more convenient than having to be trailed by an extension cord.

8. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I had to pinch myself then when I saw the title of this thread :p

9. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Great stuff so far, thanks for the input, folks.

With the gas mowers, are you all using ethanol-free gas? I've been reading many stories of bad gas ruining these machines. I like the power here, just trying to factor in maintenance and upkeep costs. My mowers, while good, need constant service. But at the same time, I'd never plug in to cut the grass.

With the electric, the cord seems to be the biggest complaint. I don't think I'd go with a battery, due to the time constraints and diminishing power over time. I'm imagining blowing being similar to vacuuming and the cord limitations. For a third of the price, is it that much of an issue?

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I live in Florida so yard work is a 12 month chore--not sure how much ethanol is in most of the gas I get but it seems the mower frame wears out long before the engine.

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I would use pure gasoline instead of gasohol. Looking at the website www.pure-gas.org there are a couple of options in your town.

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

My family owns an independent small power equipment shop. We service about everything, but sell only Stihl (Stihl requires dealers to also service the equipment, which is why you won't find them in a box store).

In our experience, with outdoor power equipment, you get what you pay for. There is a lot of equipment out there which is not designed to be serviced and will cost more to be worked on then to be replaced.

Don't expect any followup help from a box store. Lowes, et al will send you to a authorized servicing dealer. Why not get advice from the start from the guys who will end up working on it anyway? Besides, buying local is better for the economy!

For two-stroke equipment - READ THESE!
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/25936782/#.UsRBBCiaGSI
    http://www.echo-usa.com/warranty/learn-about-ethanol
    http://www.stihlusa.com/information/articles/gasoline-guidelines-outdoor-power-equipment/

13. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

I have a leaf blower and am not convince it would be effective for moving lar quantities of sand or mulch. Mine is plug in electric. It also includes a bag and can suck in leaves. I don't find this efficient either. Best job is for blowing leaves.

14. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks so much for the input, folks. Really helped my decision. I ended buying the Toro Ultra. I lucked in to getting it 50% off at Home Depot. For $35, it was an easy decision.

I was leaning this way anyway, for several reasons. First, assuming it was regularly priced, it was 3x cheaper. Secondly, it has no maintenance. As our maintenance shop owning friend could testify, one service call on a gas blower would be roughly the same price as buying a brand new electric one. No reoccurring gas and oil charges, either. No fuel lines disintegrating. Plus, very few other operating costs. And finally, it fit my needs. A gas blower for my yard would have been serious overkill. Unquestionably, the gas blower is more powerful and more convenient to use. If I had a bigger yard, or more debris to clear, I would've gone gas. But for my area, the electric's tethered range an power were plenty.

I tried the Toro out today and I was blown away. ;). We took down our Christmas tree today and it was so dry. Needles littered our porch and driveway. The Toro handled all of them well. It even moved the mulch that creeps on the driveway easily. Sand was blasted, too. I was quite happy with the power. The cord was a bit of a pain at times, but that was the trade off. Do want to mention also that good extension cords aren't cheap. If you go electric, get a a long one with the appropriate gauge wire.

Thanks again for all the help and advice, folks. I really appreciate it. It really made a difference for me.

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I hope the properties in your area are large. We live in a dense neighborhood, and there is one neighbor who is absolutely obsessed with keeping every single leaf off the yard. Both husband and wife have backpack blowers, and they are out every night with them. They wear ear protection, and seem oblivious to the peace they are disturbing.

16. adrengill macrumors newbie

I agree with the fact that Stihl is number one service providers in gardening tools. I now have experience in chainsaw, leaf blower, snow blower products of Stihl and i am more than satisfied with the products.

17. johandup macrumors newbie

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Consumer Reports always gives the Toro electric top ratings. That's probably your best choice until Apple releases their iBlower.

20. Mr. McMac, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

i hope you're not serious about Apple making leaf blower. If you are, I think I'm going to puke... Apple, stick to making computers.
    It's what you do best....