Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'Leaked' 3rd Gen iPod Touch Cases (with Camera Holes) For Sale in U.S.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

At this point, it seems obvious that Apple had been working on adding a camera to the newest iPod Touch, but for some reason, the feature was cut at the last minute. Exactly how last minute seems evidenced by the fact that some case manufacturers seem to have mass produced cases adopting the new design, and have pushed these designs into retail stores.

The following clip/armband was spotted at a Best Buy in Texas, which shows an image of an iPod touch with camera:

Meanwhile, an actual case was spotted in a mall in Texas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZKqG0EmKmw

We've been told that Apple does not actually share pre-release design information with case manufacturers. Instead, these case manufacturers simply have enormous financial incentive to obtain the information through other means to be able to manufacture cases ahead of launch. In this case, their gamble didn't quite pay off, though presumably the cases still work with the camera-less iPod touch..

Article Link: 'Leaked' 3rd Gen iPod Touch Cases (with Camera Holes) For Sale in U.S.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
i should of got into the case making business

there is a sucker born every minute paying $30+ for an innocase

Comment

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Interesting. I've wondered how the manufacturers got the information. Clearly Apple changed plans after they got it though.

Comment

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Funny...Apple does and has shared dimensions and necessary information, maybe not features, with accessory makers, especially case makers. They want to have some sort of stock when people start buying the new generation of iPods.

As for if they share it with DLO I'm not sure. But iSkin, if I recall correctly, has gotten dimensions from Apple before a product release.

Comment

Duncan-Idaho

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Oh, and to stay on topic. It look's like industrial espionage doesn't always work out for the best.

Comment

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
When the camera does arrive in the iPod Touch, I'll be curious to see if they do the same silly thing as the Nano - making the camera video only, I mean. It's such an odd thing to do. I wonder if the still quality is horrible or something like that.

Comment

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
If Apple really wants to have some fun with the case manufacturers they should move the camera by about 1/10th of an inch which should be just enough to make all the cases partially cover the camera lens :)

Comment

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The Future's Not Set

Touch will still have a camera, the manufacturer is probably in the process of compacting the technology to squeeze it in for a minor update...nothing wrong with that... selling the cases with the cam hole might even suggest that is going to happen at some point...Apple are simply waiting for supply chains to arrive..

Comment

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
that sucks for case manufactures if apple dosen't share any info.

Comment

binaryskies

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Washington DC
I wouldn't be surprised if iSkin "somehow" got product info and specs before other companies. They do (IMO) have the best cases out there.:D

Anyways, back to the topic.. I was kind of shocked when they released the iPod Touch without a camera. Everyone I know who owns one says they wish there was a camera, and that having one would make the device almost perfect. I haven't seen anyone actually release a product (for apple devices) off a guess (or "inside intel" whatever you prefer) and be wrong, it's kind of interesting.

Comment

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I suppose this could be as simple as they made the cases for the camera and got it wrong, but the cost of making the tooling for moulding the cases was high enough that they need to get it back by selling a few. They must fit the current touch, they just have a hole in the back. If/when Apple release one with a camera they will already be on the market.

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Interesting. I've wondered how the manufacturers got the information. Clearly Apple changed plans after they got it though.

Same here. Yanking the camera out of the iPod Touch was definitely a last minute thing that was either a supply, cost or software issues. Either way, a few in the supply chain got through and Apple didn't catch 'em in time.

Comment

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
When the camera does arrive in the iPod Touch, I'll be curious to see if they do the same silly thing as the Nano - making the camera video only, I mean. It's such an odd thing to do. I wonder if the still quality is horrible or something like that.

Steve Jobs said that this was the exact reason for no stills.

Comment

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
omg

WHO THE F cares.
The ipod is pointless if you can't make calls on it.

Comment

DocDoom

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
If the Touch ever gets a camera, it better be able to take stills, and not just video like the nano!

Comment

spyinthesky

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
London UK
Easy

Like HDTV all they have to do is say they are 'camera ready' and 'future proof'. Make a marketing plus from it, unless Apple moves the camera position of course.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.