Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

172155-n92dvt-1.jpg

Previously unheard of site RichyRich claims to have some photos of a prototype N92 iPhone. N92 is the iPhone code number that is believed to be Apple's Verizon-compatible CDMA phone. This is from August, 2010:
But I do know that engineering-wise, the wheels are turning on N92, the CDMA variant of the iPhone 4. It's certainly not in production yet, and hasn't reached DVT status (device verification test - like Gray Powell's infamous stolen unit), but it is, a few little birdies claim, at EVT (engineering verification test). That's one step below DVT, which is one step below production.
The photos claim to depict a DVT N92 -- which would be a step closer to mass production.

172449-n92dvt-5.jpg

The images are reported to have originated in a Vietnamese repair shop, but no further source is given. The photos aren't particularly revealing, but the design appears identical to the currently shipping iPhone 4.

Article Link: Leaked Photos of Prototype N92 Verizon iPhone?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Nah, there's another step between DVT and steady state production: PVT/ramp. The five engineering stages are: proto, EVT, DVT, PVT/ramp, steady state.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Legit photo or not, it's time to level the playing field with Android.

Not only do we need a Verizon iPhone, but a Sprint and T-Mobile iPhone too.

lewisdorigo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Ayrshire, Scotland
Is there any proof that this is a CMDA phone?

As far as I know, they don't use sim cards - surely they could have provided a shot of the side that the sim-slot should be.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
If it really is a CDMA iPhone, all they need to do is show us a complete photo of the band. It should vary slightly from the other iPhone as the frequency plans for AT&T and Verizon won't match up exactly on either 2G or 3G speeds.

Is there any proof that this is a CMDA phone?

As far as I know, they don't use sim cards - surely they could have provided a shot of the side that the sim-slot should be.

Not conclusive if it's a world phone.

NT1440

Contributor
May 18, 2008
What's with the washed out screen at that angle? Just a bad camera taking the picture, or the more obvious: fake?

cjthebest

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
How stupid! The picture doesn't show the side where the sim slot wouldn't be (unless its a hybrid). I could have taken pictures of any iPhone 4 in a red light and say it is a CDMA prototype and make MacRumors front page :rolleyes:

Shanpdx

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Enough with Iphone

get some news on tomorrow's mac events.

iPhone and verizon rumor getting too much and almost boring to a point :rolleyes:

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh wow some unheard of website got an iPhone 4, put a screenshot on it and got it posted to the MR front page for publicity.

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
If it really is a CDMA iPhone, all they need to do is show us a complete photo of the band. It should vary slightly from the other iPhone as the frequency plans for AT&T and Verizon won't match up exactly on either 2G or 3G speeds.

Wouldn't the tuning be in the software?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Wouldn't the tuning be in the software?

They'll have some digitally tunable elements like caps, but you can't change the physical wavelength of the frequencies. Still, the frequencies are likely close enough that a re-design isn't needed at all. I would just be interested to see the whole device if the originator claims it is a CDMA iPhone.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Do I even need to ask why it was decided to put this load of crap on the front page?

I could take a photo of an iPhone 4 with an open copy of any terminal app and make it look like that :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.