Leaked Renders Allegedly Reveal Samsung's Foldable Phone Hours Ahead of Launch Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alleged leaked renders of Samsung's soon-to-be-unveiled foldable smartphone have emerged online ahead of the company's Unpacked product launch event on Wednesday.

Samsung has been teasing its upcoming "Galaxy Fold" phone for some time and demoed a prototype of the device back in November, but coming just hours before the company's launch event, these images via Slashleaks could be the real deal.

[​IMG]

The Galaxy Fold features Samsung's new Infinity Flex display technology, and assuming no major changes since November, we can expect a device with a 7.3-inch display that can be folded in half, collapsing from a tablet size down to a 4.6-inch smartphone size.

Judging from the renders, the phone has a notch in the upper right corner of the display for the front-facing camera, and a dual-lens setup on the corresponding upper rear-side of the chassis.

Samsung is developing a new software platform for the device in partnership with Google, which is designed to support two UIs - one for when the device is open and one for when the device is closed - and will allow apps to orient into three possible layouts. A price tag as high as $1,800 was rumored for the phone in November, although Samsung may not have finalized costs at the time.

[​IMG]

Following Samsung, Huawei and Xiaomi revealed that they too will launch folding smartphones, and there are plenty of signs Apple is looking into the possibility of a foldable iPhone. Apple has filed several patent applications related to folding phones that variously fold inward, outward, and both inward and outward.

Apple supplier LG Display is said to have created a dedicated task force to start developing a foldable OLED display for a future iPhone, while its sister company LG Innotek reportedly has a team developing a rigid flexible printed circuit board or (RFPCB) to go along with it.

Samsung's Galaxy Fold will officially debut at its February 20 event, where we can also expect the launch of the new Galaxy S10 smartphone lineup. Samsung's Unpacked event starts at 11.00 a.m. Pacific Time at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, California, with a simultaneous launch event to be held in London at 7.00 p.m. GMT.

Article Link: Leaked Renders Allegedly Reveal Samsung's Foldable Phone Hours Ahead of Launch Event

2. H2SO4 macrumors 601

I like the look of that, A LOT.
    That's on my 'possibles' list for sure. I like iOS but Apple are seemingly trying their hardest to push me away from it.

Oh and I'm confused about this part........<snip>".....while its sister company LG Innotek reportedly has a team developing a rigid flexible printed circuit board or (RFPCB) to go along with it."

3. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

To be honest, this looks pretty cool.

Samsung has definitely getting more design centric lately.

For the first shot at foldables it seems like they did a good job.

A foldable will be my next iphone / iPad. I hope I can expect one within the next 2 years.

4. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

5. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Curious to see it in action, but personally I have no desire to own a foldable phone from any manufacturer

6. thasan macrumors 65816

I am more interested in phones with display on both sides. Foldable...? Most likely not. And definitely not one running Android

7. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Will definitely be skipping the first few generations. Once the software has matured maybe I’ll give it a try.

8. Niko Todd macrumors member

Niko Todd

If Apple one day begin dragging their foot behind such stupid trend, I'd be done with them!
    So, in a way, I'm happy it's coming from Samsung. Bravo!

9. Wanted797, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

Like all Samsung phones I’d be curious to see just how many bugs they have with this one after 6 months.

10. elvislives macrumors regular

elvislives

Bit like this... but for phones. I sure this will be handy for some people but It will create more issues than it solves.

Attached Files:

11. Falhófnir, Feb 20, 2019

Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Not really my cup of tea, but nice to see them trying new things... even if it never becomes a mainstream hit itself I'm sure they'll learn a lot of things and develop a lot of new tech off of it. Also nice to have an manipulable phone for the first time since sliders and flips went out of style!

12. the-bigwig macrumors member

Comments are salty as hell. I can't even imagine how loved would be Apple for doing this. It's a breakthrough tech and it's just sad some of you can't accept that.

13. gixxerfool macrumors 65816

gixxerfool

It’s pretty neat, but I can see a slew of damages from this. Makes you wonder if case manufacturers would even try with the massive amounts of design and tooling required to make something only to have the design change and render the old molds obsolete.

14. apolloa macrumors G4

Have to say whilst foldable phones are no doubt the future, I’m not really excited for this, I’m actually more excited about the prospect of chancing my XR for an XS Max to be honest.
    I’d even be more interested in a new Note.

Oh well it’ll give me something to read about and watch videos of tonight.

15. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Samsung are about to set the phone world ablaze again ;-).

If I was to trust a foldable phone I’d buy it from the company two years who sold us a non-foldable phone that was a fire hazard and wouldn’t admit wrongdoing until it was way too late.

16. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

It’s not the tech, it’s the implementation.

If and when Apple uses folding screen tech, you know it will be more refined.

It’s ultimately about the experience found with the device, and not the initial buzz from the media, that will determine its trajectory. And the experience ultimately lies in a company’s ability to integrate both hardware and software together, not just about pure hardware specs in a vacuum.

17. apolloa macrumors G4

I don’t think Apple will launch one for another four years maybe, either way it’ll cost a ridiculous amount of money, if you think iPhones and iPads are expensive now, wait till they combine them into one device and watch that price triple...

18. Relentless Power, Feb 20, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Others are mentioning that they have no ‘desire’ for something like this, but they haven’t experienced a foldable design yet?...Just maybe this would change their mind with something new and innovative that may offer a totally new perspective. I for one could see myself wanting a foldable device for having the ability to enlarge the device and then reduce it pending my usage. Good for Samsung.

19. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

... because Samsung created this first and did most of the heavy lifting on developing the tech?

20. LinusR macrumors 6502

LinusR

Not aiming to justify individual comments on here, but hold your horses: we haven't seen anything yet in action (apart from the blurry demo a few months ago).

21. NBAasDOGG, Feb 20, 2019

NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

Funny that most companies are in the frontier of innovation (even if it’s still useless) while Apple is struggling to make a proper keyboard on the MacBooks and yet have the balls to ask $2000...

It’s our fault, it’s my personal mistake by blindly purchasing overpriced junk from this company.

5B2D1289-A2FA-4DA1-ABFF-F71C5F82BA3F.gif

22. Mac Fly (film), Feb 20, 2019

Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

That’s bull. You know nothing yet, the phone isn’t even out. Besides Samsung aren’t the only company making products I don’t want, I don’t want a foldable phone from Apple either, I want a smaller phone which they are not selling yet, and making such a phone foldable would make the phone thicker and larger. I just want a nice, reliable small phone.

I don’t even trust Samsung to make a reliable non-folding phone. When S5 came out it had a heavily marketed splash/dust proof feature and after day one the bottom port cover, which helped make this feature possible, fell off my friend’s brand new S5 and Samsung wouldn’t fix or replace it. And the Note 5, selling sticks of dynamite and wouldn’t admit wrongdoing for months? Crappy company.

23. AngerDanger, Feb 20, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

The best part is, being an Android phone, you’ll probably be able to mod it to play the first few bars of the Transformers theme every time you open and close it.

In fact, Samsung, tell your marketing department to see what they can do about licensing that property…

galaxy fold transformers3.jpg

I think I'm on to something!

24. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

25. BlueParadox macrumors 6502

This seems like a classic example of ability over practicality - it exists because they wanted to make one, but doesn’t seem to serve any practical or functional reason. Phones fit the hand. Want something bigger, use a tablet.

Oh well, time will tell...