Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last month confirmed that this year's iPhone 12 models will launch outside of their normal September timeframe and will be "available a few weeks later," which has led to speculation about when an event might be held.

iphone12dummycameras.jpg

Leaker Jon Prosser, who sometimes shares accurate knowledge of Apple's plans, today said that Apple will hold its iPhone 12 event during the week of October 12, with preorders to take place later that week and shipments to start the week after that.

If these dates are accurate, Apple could hold an event on Tuesday, October 13, accepting preorders for new the lower-cost iPhone 12 models on October 16, and delivering the new devices starting on October 23.

There have been multiple rumors suggesting the possibility of a staggered release that will see some models launch before other models, which Prosser also says is the case. While the iPhone 12 models will ship in October, Prosser claims the iPhone 12 Pro models will not be available until an unspecified date in November.

Prosser also claims that Apple will release the Apple Watch Series 6 and an unspecified new iPad via press release during the week of September 7. It would be unusual for Apple to unveil the Apple Watch ahead of new iPhones because in past years, iPhone events have also included the Apple Watch.

Prosser says that this info is "in the system," but the staggered release date and the "uncertainty of final dates for the Pro models" means the dates could "slip/change." Last month, Prosser claimed that the iPhone 12 models and new iPads would launch in October.

While Prosser has in the past correctly predicted some of Apple's launch plans, he has also shared incorrect information. In June, he inaccurately claimed that Apple was planning to rename iOS to "iPhoneOS," and he shared images of what he claimed was Apple's AirPower charging mat, with those images later turning out to be a clone device that wasn't the AirPower at all.

Some of Prosser's claims have also been somewhat outlandish, such as his suggestion that Apple is working on a set of Steve Jobs heritage edition Apple Glasses modeled after the glasses that Jobs wore.

Article Link: Leaker Jon Prosser: Apple Watch and iPad Launching in September, iPhone 12 Event to Take Place in October

HeavenDynamic

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
I don't believe the Apple Watch Series 6 is going to be announced via a press release. It will obviously run watchOS 7 that also needs iOS 14. The final version of iOS 14 obviously contains a lot of informations about the new iPhones. It makes no sense to release it before the event. Look what happened when the iOS 11 GM leaked even tho the iPhone X has only been released in November.

Plus it seems weird to launch new OS, Apple Watch and iPad via press releases rather than wait a few weeks for all the Apple Event hype and media coverage.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I certainly hope Apple launches actual new iPad Pro models on September 7th. I’m itching to upgrade from my 2018 12.9” model, if they put an A14X in it, maybe include 5G. The screen could go on as is, given it’s so good already. Micro LED would be ok if they’re ready for that upgrade.

The other thing I’d like to see changed is the FaceID cameras getting moved to the long edge, since it’s so often used in landscape.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
i want to emphasize the article. this is the same leaker that said the Steve Jobs Heritage Edition of AR glasses is coming out which mark gurman has denied.

he also stole leaked photos of the reworked airpower and put his own watermark on them which turned out to be false.

make many guesses and obviously you’d be correct some of the time.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I don't believe the Apple Watch Series 6 is going to be announced via a press release. It will obviously run watchOS 7 that also needs iOS 14. The final version of iOS 14 obviously contains a lot of informations about the new iPhones. It makes no sense to release it before the event. Look what happened when the iOS 11 GM leaked even tho the iPhone X has only been released in November.

Plus it seems weird to launch new OS, Apple Watch and iPad via press releases rather than wait a few weeks for all the Apple Event hype and media coverage.

I would be surprised to see the Apple Watch Series 6 announced through a press release, especially if it has blood oxygen monitoring. I do think it would be possible to release iOS 14 ahead of when new iPhones come out and add new iPhone features in an iOS 14.1 update. So theoretically iOS 14 and watchOS 7 could still come out in September with iPhones coming later, but I'm still skeptical of the Apple Watch in September claim.

Diogoammon

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2017
This makes a lot of sense. The Apple Watch and iPad will create some hype in September, until Apple releases the good stuff in October.

I guess Apple will unveil some new Apple silicon macs alongside the iPhone 12 and possibly AirTags and AirPods Studio in October and didn’t wanted the event to get too crowded with an iPad AND an Apple Watch.
This way, media/tech journalists and YouTube can concentrate it’s attention to the main products while still having Apple in the spotlight for a longer period of time.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
October event for the phones doesn't sound crazy to me at this point. New Apple watch via press release is a *bit* surprising, but not really that big a deal, particularly if it doesn't have any new really ground-breaking features that demand a live presentation.

I have to admit, though, that I'm just not that into these announcements this year. Sure I'll watch them, and be interested, but all my energy right now is focused on Apple Silicon Macs. I want *so badly* to see them, particular the new iMac since I'm in the market for a new one. I haven't had this much Mac anticipation in a long time.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
October event for the phones doesn't sound crazy to me at this point. New Apple watch via press release is a *bit* surprising, but not really that big a deal, particularly if it doesn't have any new really ground-breaking features that demand a live presentation.

I have to admit, though, that I'm just not that into these announcements this year. Sure I'll watch them, and be interested, but all my energy right now is focused on Apple Silicon Macs. I want *so badly* to see them, particular the new iMac since I'm in the market for a new one. I haven't had this much Mac anticipation in a long time.
I think the Apple Watch announcements are a bigger deal than the iPhone. That could be because I am slightly biased but, the watch sales are slowly catching up to the iPhone.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
I am not buying what John is selling. There is no way Apple will release the new Apple Watch separately much less press release.

I think John is looking for new channel subscriptions. He is one obnoxious person. I couldn’t make it through one of his videos. That was the first and last time I gave him any of my time.
And wasn’t he just complaining about his YouTube channel being down or hacked?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
And wasn’t he just complaining about his YouTube channel being down or hacked?
I couldn’t say. I prefer Zollotech to John.

OT: It is so frustrating to be typing a post and the forum software keeps trying to change my words. It takes me 3 or 4 tries at times, (with some words) before the forum software will stop trying to give me misspelled words or words I wasn’t even trying to type.

Last edited:
I still think we’re gonna have a announcement date for iPhone in September since Apple said it’ll be “FEW WEEKS” late.

Also new iPhones/Apple watch will be released end of September and in the month of October they will release the PRO models.

In October it’ll be iPad’s and MAC’S event.

keep that in mind we have not seen any leaks for new iPads!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
What are you saying! iPhone is the real money making machine for Apple!
Yes, it is. What I am saying is the Apple Watch has been king of the watch market and has also been slowly working its way to being the number one sold item by Apple. The Apple Watch is every where.

I like my Apple Watch and iPhone don’t get me wrong but, my absolute favorite is the watch. :)

You sure do like using the exclamation point! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.