Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyman11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Hello, i have been playing around with the dock changing the appearance and the change the looks of the icons etc. But I have a problem where i can't take any icons off of dock. When i either right click the icon and click "remove from dock" the dock seems to just reset and the icon is still there. This also does the same thing when i just grab and drop with that little poof thing. Thanks for the help in adavance.

troyman11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
No dont have any

No, i dont have any 3rd party program/hacks on the mac

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Was the app running at the time?

Applications' icons show up on the dock when running, even if you don't have it set to "Keep in Dock".

troyman11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
yea i restarted still didnt work

I restarted the computer and the same thing is happening. No, the programs i am trying to take off the dock arent running. If someone can email the default dock resources folder and I will see if that works it would be appreciated. trsambyal@yahoo.com is email.

bsod-it crashed

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
This happened to me before.

The only difference was i was in 10.4(Tiger), not10.5(Leopard.) What you need to do is:
1.Go to Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreSevices and delete your dock file (Note: May damage Hard Drive)
2.Insert Mac OSX Leopard installation disc, backup, and reboot the Mac.
3.(During startup)Hold the "C" key, and wait for the Aurora backdrop and the language selection to let go
4.As far as I know, re-install, but DO NOT ARCHIVE!! If you DO archive, you will have to go through the install AGAIN.
5. Drag your backed up files where ever. Your dock will now be restored.

The problem is:
If you have been going to Leoparddocks.com, and downloading those docks, you may have, on accident, deleted the entire contents of the dock's rescources folder (right/ctrl-click, then show package contents, then rescources) You are only supposed to replace the dock images.
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

mchank

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Maybe you accidentally "locked" the dock. I know Onyx has an option to lock the dock and all the icons so that you can't removed them. Try downloading Onyx and see if you can unlock the dock.

troyman11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
My leapord cd is at school

Can someone email me there dock before i actually use the leapord cd. It doesn't really matter what it looks like i just want to see if it works before i break out the leapord cd

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Have you tried deleting your user's dock preferences file (thus restoring the dock's default icons/settings)?

Drag ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist to the desktop, and restart.

If all is well you can delete the file on the desktop, if all didn't go well replace the file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.