Learning how to search MacRumors

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Garsun, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Garsun macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2009
    The "site search" results seem to be a bit random compared to the "similar threats" results.

Here are the results from searching for "Call failed" and "iPhone 6S call failed" Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 11.52.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 11.55.08 AM.png

When I created a new post asking about "iPhone 6S call failed" the "similar threats" returned this result:

Much more useful :) unfortunately they would not have helped with my issue, but still, I would have liked to seen those types of post return from my search query.

My question is is there a better way to use the "site search" functionality to return useful results ?
    I am by no means an expert when it comes to Internet searching :(

Attached Files:

2. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    looks like you are searching on the news side, which is (unfortunately) not a consolidated search. It only searches news articles. If you click on the search icon on the top right of the forums, that searches the forums only -- that's where the similar posts draws from.

So, you should try the forum search and see if that is better.

3. Garsun thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2009
    Wow, Your fast :eek:
    All the time I stared at that page I never noticed that little magnifying glass:oops:

Still, the results are much broader... How does "similar threats" get such a accurate selection and how can I duplicate that using the search?