Learning to USE the new MBP battery!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Germwise, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

So I just bought a new 13" MBP.

I'm very happy with it. Usually when I get a laptop. I baby the battery. For some reason I never really like to use it whilst not plugged in. I feel as if I'm ruining the battery.

So of course when I am outside where a plug is not available I don't worry, but I never just lay on the couch with my laptops for the sake of extending the battery life.

Now though it seems as though with the new 1000 cycle batteries, I shouldn't have to worry about this at all as it is likely that 3-4 cycles a week would leave me with a working battery towards then end of the useful life of the computer.

How can I break myself from this habit and just use my laptop as a laptop guilt-free?

Should I still plug it in whenever possible? What are your thoughts?

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you will actually get less runtime out the battery if you always have it on ac. I don't know about the lifespan but both of my laptops were on ac 99% of the time and now the batteries only last about 1/2 the time.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Good lord... the crap some of you people fret over.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

5. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Take it easy! :cool:

6. ahjjones Guest

Wrong forum btw. But yes, just use it how you wish. It won't last forever. If you're scared of using your laptop you need help.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I say don't worry about it. If it, by chance, doesn't last 5 years, it only costs $129 for a new one, installed.

8. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Just run it down each time before plugging it in. Make sure you get the use of a full battery cycle. I wonder how expensive it will be to buy a new battery when these finally go?

9. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

And there's my answer, thank you.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

There's no need to run it down every time. Li-Ion has virtually no memory effect like the NiCad cells of old. Apple even recommends just calibrating it every month or two.

$129 for a new one btw.

11. gamer2502 macrumors regular

if it helps you any to know this i have about 200 charge cycle on my original aluminum macbook and i still have a 99% battery health:apple:

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Same here.. Almost a cycle a day if not more sometimes...

(this is my second battery but the first was defective on arrival)

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yup - I'm the same why, and my battery reports 44% health. :( It'll actually be better off if you run it down more often.

Although, I've heard that the new internal batteries have a better charge controller, so leaving it on AC will not negatively effect it? Any truth to this?

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

They're supposed to have better over-charge protection and smart-cell charging so it only charges the cells that need it instead of the whole battery I think.