Leather sleeve/wallet for iPhone 5, which one?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iRock1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

2. alb99 macrumors newbie

3. iRock1, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Thanks but I need a sleeve, not a case. I want the iPhone to be naked when I'm actually using it lol.

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

5. bluesboy77 macrumors member

I'll give a second vote to the Atelier Pall I absolutely love mine.

6. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

7. SR45, Feb 26, 2013
  8. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

9. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Not a leather case I know but IMHO , best wallet style case I've seen so far is the one on Kickstarter - search for the Bullet Train Safe Case ;)

10. iRock1, Feb 26, 2013

iRock1

People I appreciate you posting your favorite cases, but, again, I'm looking for a sleeve.

EDIT: I think I'll go with this one (card model in black): http://www.ikonicedge.com/iphone_ss_pouches.html

11. DEG1 macrumors member

Ikonic edge card case

^ That is exactly what the mailman brought me today.

12. iRock1, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

iRock1

Cool! Could you tell me something about it? A mini-review would be perfect.

13. DEG1 macrumors member

Happy to-

I ordered the black super slim card pouch (which I will call a sleeve in the following mini-review) for my iPhone 5.

Received it in a very slightly oversized tightly sealed plastic envelope, don't know why, but was expecting a larger package. Inside the envelope is a white leather pouch that contains the sleeve protecting it during shipment, a business card, a letter-sized instruction sheet, and a copy of the purchase invoice.

The sleeve itself is very thin and lightweight. The leather aroma from it so many reviews mention was much less than I had expected, but certainly detectable. The leather is fairly soft and pliable, not hard when new like so many of the other leather sleeves/cases and feels to be of very high quality, as best as I'm able to judge these things. The stitching looks neat, clean and tight. The micro suede lining seems to be a part of the leather, rather than something just added, if that makes any sense. I tried to run my fingers along the seams inside of the case to check for tacky glue and rough spots I have read about in other reviews, but found nothing of concern.

Before I get into the rest of the review, I should mention that I have the full body Ghost Armor (screen, back, sides) protection on my phone. It was installed about 1 week ago.

When I first tried inserting the phone into the sleeve, I was shocked at how tight the fit was. I had to really work at getting the phone in, so much so I was afraid I was going to damage the phone or the seams of the sleeve. I was able to finally fully insert the phone into the sleeve. Taking the phone out of the sleeve the first time was also a chore. Again, I was concerned that I might damage the phone or the sleeve. But, thankfully, neither the insertion nor removal caused any apparent damage to either. I did notice scuffing on the Ghost Armor protectors covering the metal trim pieces on the sides of the phone. Now, after about 24 hours of use, it is much easier to get the phone into and out of the sleeve and the scuffing on the sides has disappeared. A little note- the brief instructions included with the sleeve mention pinching the bottom of the sleeve to help ease the phone out of the sleeve. I have not found that this helps in the slightest at this stage. Maybe that tip only works after the case is broken in, we'll see.

The card slot is also very tight. I have only been able to get a debit card, credit card and drivers license into it. Getting the cards out of the slot is a bit of challenge also, but this will probably loosen up as the sleeve breaks-in.

Overall, I am very please with the sleeve and feel I definitely made the right choice for my needs. I feel like the phone is fairly well protected when in the sleeve and that the sleeve adds almost no additional bulk or weight. It is very comfortable in my pocket. Now I hope it proves to be as durable in the long run as other reviews have reported.

14. bgl321 macrumors newbie

Can you post a pic(s)?

15. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The KAVAJ Dallas. It has the cards on the back, and the flap is magnetic.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. DEG1 macrumors member

I hope these pictures post properly.

Attached Files:

17. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

18. DEG1 macrumors member

Ikonic Edge - Update

Ok, only 48 hours after receiving this sleeve, it has now broken-in enough to easily insert/remove my iPhone 5. With 3 cards in the card slot, it is still a little difficult to insert/remove my phone. I'm not sure the card slot was ever intended to hold 3 cards or not, but it feels like it is going to break-in enough to handle them.

I did not intend my earlier mini review to come across as negative, but I just wanted to forewarn anyone contemplating buying this to know that the sleeve will initially be VERY tight but that it begins to fit/work better fairly quickly.

Great product!

19. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

It better starts to break-in, because it's supposed to hold 5 cards.

What do you people think about this one? It might not be the most fashionable and beautiful sleeve out there, but for my purposes I think it would work very well: http://www.tuchmade.com/product/tuch-for-iphone-5-pre-order

EDIT: or this one http://www.brussardo.com/iphone-cases/iphone-5-wallet-case/iphone-5-case-buffalo-leather-101.html

20. DEG1 macrumors member

The Tuchmade case just looks too funky to me although it looks rugged and I assume uses high quality leather.

The Brussardo looks better, but I'm not a fan of the externally stitched sides. I had a sleeve similar to that in the past and it makes it a lot wider than the phone.

In comparison to these two, the Ikonic Edge sleeve looks sleek and barely adds to the dimensions of the iPhone 5.

21. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Yeah, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put 4 cards and a few bills to be honest.

22. meistervu macrumors 65816

And as you mentioned in a reply, you also want an individual slot for each card.

So what you are looking for is a sleeve with 5 slots: 4 for cards and 1 for cash. I don't see how one can make a simple sleeve with all those requirement. First you have to make a sleeve for the iPhone, then add 5 pockets, and make sure the cash pocket with enough space to accommodate possibly several folded bills.

Adding all those pockets to a sleeve really complicates the construction and the additional pocket dividers would contribute significantly to the thickness of the sleeve. So in the end if it's done, IMHO it's no longer a simple sleeve.

23. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

It may be a simple thick sleeve or pouch with 5 slots, and to be honest I don't know how difficult can it be, but if that's not possible one big pocket will have to do the work.

24. DEG1 macrumors member

Have you considered this one?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/106456884/iphone-leather-wallet-iphone-5-leather?

I'm having a hard time imagining my Ikonic Edge case ever stretching enough to comfortably accommodate 4 cards and some cash (I know they claim 5 cards). But, then again, I've only got 48hrs of use with it at this point.

25. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I don't like its design that much to be honest (in that case I'd rather go with the TUCH ultra thin sleeve). Also it looks too bulky and thick.