leave on my macbook pro or shut down every night?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have the 2010 i7 unibody macbook pro, & read through mroogle about leaving it on all the time vs shutting down.

It seems to be a toss up, but I did read cases for either way, one person said they were told by an apple care guy that starting up/shutting down puts wear & tear on the hard drive.

another poster described after leaving theirs on for a few months, they found the outer casing had peeled away from the battery, from heat.

I could leave mine on, however, my concern is my bedroom is in an old house with no insulation, which means the house is not so warm in the winter, & gets hot in the summer.

My mac is in my bedroom, & my bedroom can get quite warm in the summer. Also, for protection of the body on my mac, I have a speck products rubber satin case on it too. I have it on a metal stand or laptop stand that has wire mesh.

So in my case, would it be safe to leave it on all the time & shut down when I will not be home? or just start up/shut down every night after I am finished using it? with the heat in my room, I dont want the computer to melt or it's components to melt.

Another thought, when I do more intensive tasks on it that kick up the fans, will the case & heat in my room become a problem?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Bottom line, it doesn't matter. The thing about HDD's. Yes, that was true of early HDD's but booting a modern HDD from a cold start often will not wear it out any faster.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Strictly speaking that's true, but it's a bit like leaving your car running overnight because starting the engine the next morning puts wear and tear on it. Yes, it does, but it's not generally enough to worry about.

Leave it on, but in your power settings set it to go to sleep after an hour or so. It won't generate any heat at that point.

Consider that the power supply is, what, 85 W? It can't reject more heat to your room than that - at the absolute worst, it would be like having an 85 W light bulb on, if there were such a thing. :cool:

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

I had my Early 08" for 26-27 months and NEVER EVER turned it off or took the time to "put it to sleep". I just closed the lid when I didn't use it and never noticed anything crazy, other than the LB going out several times, but that was due to the NVIDA BS.

I do the same thing on my new one.

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would it be harder on it if it had a program running that ran off the nividia chip? I get nervous leaving it like this as I am afraid it will burn out the nividia chip.

Also, alot of people suggest putting the mac to sleep, I see this option from the apple icon menu at the top left of my screen, do I need to close the lid as well? I have my mac on a laptop stand so it can be used at a desk, it is a little inconvenient to open & close the lid each time to come out of sleep, & I am nervous about wearing out the hinge, but I will do this if it is best, or is closing the lid the only way to put the mac to sleep?

and when the mac is asleep, how do I wake it up again? is this where opening the lid does this? or cloud l I do it some other way with the lid still open?

7. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have a somewhat similar question so rather than making a new thread I might as well just ask here.

Would it be safe to leave my 13" MBP on overnight as handbrake is converting videos?

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Yes. I have done it with mine many times.

If it's a small room, a hot day, and minimal ventilation, it'll make a big difference. To your comfort level and wellbeing, not the computer, which won't be affected.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Every bit as safe as if you use Handbrake while sitting in front of it.

Still, it's about the same amount of heat put off by one adult in a room sitting at a desk (290 Btuh vs 250), and even then the computer would have to run balls-to-the-wall, maximum power on the adapter the entire time. It's generally not enough to worry about.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I always shut mine down. Not because I'm worried about anything, but because I never know if I'm going to need the Windows side or the Mac side when I come back to it. So, rather than having to wake it up and then reboot, I just shut down, and when I come back, boot into the disk that I need at the moment.

11. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I shut the lid and never think about shutting down the traditional way unliess I'm going somewhere for a week without my MBP

The only times you really need to reboot are for system changes. Last time i had to reboot was for a software update and my system had been up for 32 days with multiple sleep cycles per day. Never had any stability issues.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Thermal cycling is what is hardest on computer components. Hot, cold, hot cold etc. With that said, it would take a really long time for that to come into play - longer than we would care to keep our machines in use :) . I personally leave my laptop on 24/7 unless I am traveling with it in which case it is sleeping

13. brentsg macrumors 68040

Just set it to go to sleep after a period of inactivity.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not harder on it.
    You can put your Mac to sleep a number of ways:
    • close the lid
    • use the menu command
    • use the keyboard shortcut (Option-Command-Eject)
    • let the sleep timer activate
    There's no difference in the methods, other than personal preference/convenience. When your Mac is in sleep mode, it doesn't matter by which method it got there.
    If you closed the lid, open it to wake it. Otherwise, it can wake by pressing a key on the keyboard or moving or clicking the mouse.