Leaving Apple for PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Skrilla™, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Skrilla™ macrumors regular

I purchased a MacBook in January and had a pretty good time with it, but I found the OS to be more gimmicks than actual finctionality I could use. The hardware was top notch, very solid design, slick look and had no problems with it. Sold the MacBook on the marketplace and purchased a Dell XPS m1330 yesterday. Back to PC and Win XP for me. It was fun while it lasted, thanks to all for your help, until next time :D

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

To each their own. Have fun with your new Windows toy...

(You do realize you could have just run Windows on your MB and saved whatever hit you took selling it.... but again, that's your choice and I'm not going to second guess you for it.)

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Have fun! We're all different, and not everyone gets on with OS X. For me, my productivity has gone through the roof and I'm no longer 'hassled' by my OS, rather helped.

I do also think Windows on your Macbook would have been a good solution, though...

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

5. bosoxinsa macrumors newbie

I just told someone yestereday that was interested in a mac that I had never met anyone that had used a mac and went back to a PC.

my day is now officially bad.

6. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why's that? You still got your mac, right?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed- I'm puzzled. Why not just run Windows on it?

9. bosoxinsa macrumors newbie

ohh yah, yeah it is better now!

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

So why not Vista? Too gimmicky? :p Have fun... we'll miss ya.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well, those aren't gimmicks -- they are MS trademarked features.

Don't you know that MS is the innovator and Apple is all flash and no substance and hasn't had an original idea since they soldered their first computer together.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, I mean I'd think the $125 or whatever a licensed version of Vista or XP goes for would be better than taking a loss of several hundred for a nearly-new computer that you had to sell.

Particularly if the OP enjoyed the hardware itself. Color me confused.

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Because he didn't want his friends (Pc fanbois) to see him with a mac.:rolleyes:

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yah, watch the door don't hit your arse on the way out.

16. elvirav macrumors member

elvirav

Every once in a while it happens. Not very often, but it does.

It's much less common when a Mac user has been die-hard for years, which does not seem to be the case here. So it's not that big of a shock to me. Some people never adjust, or were always destined to be PC fans. Or something . . . I don't know.

One of my friends was a big Mac fan (so he claims) back in the '90s, but switched to PC. He's now a HUGE advocate for Windows and often gives me crap for using a Mac. He hasn't used a Mac that much since he switched away, and certainly hasn't been a heavy Mac OS X user (hasn't used it much at all, actually), but still . . . he's absolutely certain that OS X is a total waste of an OS . . .

Whatever, whatever, whatever. :rolleyes: These people are few and far between, that's all I can say.

17. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Right, lets open a book on how long before the OP realises their mistake and gets another mac, 2 days? a week? a month? ;)

18. Skrilla™ thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I ran Windows on it :rolleyes: I wanted something with a GPU - almost bought a new MBP.

Nothing wrong with Apple computers, just Apple users. Just look at the way you talk to people.

Glad to not be a part of the crowd :D

btw I had been wanting an Apple for years and finally got one, and was very excited to get it, but its just not for me.

19. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

It's a Mac forum, what'd you expect? Go to a Porsche forum, identify yourself as a longtime Kia owner who recently bought his first Porsche and decided it's not for you (too many gimmicks) and you're going back to Kias, see what kinda reaction you get there. You need to grow a thicker skin or stay off the interweb.

20. manchild macrumors newbie

Call me fickle. I switched from PC to Mac when the PPC (601) and Pentium came out because of the intel math issues. Switched back to PC when Apple (Jobs) nixed the clones - some of them were better than Apple's computers. OS X came out and I pined over it until "Night of the Panther" when I bought my first PowerBook G4 because My buggy Home built Frankenputer running Win2k was crashing too much while working at home. I'm gradually purging MS out of my home after being disgruntled/paranoid over WinXP and amused with Vista.

I've tried switching to Linux but I wanted to be a nuts-and-bolts type of user which, I didn't have time for. Since switching to OS X I also haven't had a compelling reason to pursue it either.

Enjoy.

Frankenputer: Home-built computer made from a hodgepodge mix of old and new parts.

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

22. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Fair enough, but could you elaborate? Was it the Mac's lack of Serial port, or something like that? Some oddball mathematics application that is windows-only? "More gimmicks than actual functionality" really doesn't say anything.

Some people are bothered by Apple's closed hardware model. They prefer the PC open hardware model. All fine and good.

I'm just curious, as I'm sure others are.

23. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

My guess is he just wanted a reaction out of us, and you all are giving him one move along.

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Skrilla kind of has a point. For whatever reason he felt like he MB wasn't a good investment for him. So he got rid of it and got something that met his needs. I don't think at any point he expressed any animosity towards the users here or Apple, Inc. Just pointed out that for his needs, XP met his needs better than Tiger.

In return, he got a handful folks that asked why he felt that taking the loss on the machine was acceptable, when he could have avoided it. Fair enough. He was kind enough to respond with his thoughts - he didn't need to justify himself, but he did anyway. From others, there was a kind farewell - also fair enough. But form some, he got a fair bit of flack and discourtesy. Not so fair. There may not have been a lot, but barbs are barbs.

I am curious though - why is there an assumption that just because he sold his MB he was leaving the forums forever? Apple goes much further than just computers (as many of the folks here are quick to complain about). Perhaps there is another item that will meet his needs. Perhaps the OS will eventually have the functionality to balance out or overcome what he saw as gimmicks. Instead, there is an assumption that those who choose to use a PC over a Mac are lesser folks. We need to get over ourselves.

Edit: from a quick look through, he's getting rid of his MB becuase he feels that WoW will play better on it. I don't play, but if he feels that way, fine. No big deal - hopefully the MB will reach the point where it runs WoW to his satisfaction and he'll consider buying one.

25. Surfmavs macrumors newbie

Anyone else trying to get rid of a mac?

Hi there everybody...
    Well i know what it feels to "need" to switch back... a few years ago before the emergence of parallels and bootcamp, pc was the only affordable platform for Geographic Information Systems and remote sensing applications, VirtualPC never did a decent job for those, now everything has changed. So if someone else is trying to get rid of a mac would you please consider donating it to a poor scientific researcher :( that HAS to work with PCs, even though in his personal life he is a very big :apple: mac fan and former owner (Newton, LC & iMac), advocate for the mac cause with several "succesful conversions", mac genius (help desk) for family and friends, and mac preacher to anyone that care to listen?

I'll gladly pay for S&H!:D

Thanks!

Rodrigo