Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
So my laptop has been something strange as of late. If i leave transmission on to download my torrents I have no issues. I'll leave it on all day and come back to it with fans at max. If i close all my programs and just surf the net the fans are pretty much stuck on max speed and its very loud and annoying and wont go away until a restart. I also have been getting alot of lag for opening programs. For instance after a fresh restart and waiting for things to settle, if i open safari i cant do anything with it for a good 10 seconds while it "initializes" so to speak, and it always seems to act sticky and laggy most of the time. It has never done this before and I have reinstalled leopard but it is always the same. Im thinking its a hardrive issue. Can anyone hear their hardrive alot when doing things like this? It just seems like any hardrive intensive tasks completely kill my computer in doing anything

Also i have some other problems that i wonder if apple can replace my laptop for:

Weird buzzing from headphone jack
i DO have the yellow screen when looking from an angle
Laptop battery is 188 cycles and 81% as of now and i recalibrated the battery already
Hardrive possibly ready to go^^^^ issue at the top
Dvd drive scratchs my dvd's when i watch a movie etc
Laptop seems to get overly hot

So what's my best way of getting these genius' to possibly replace my laptop? I'll be heading to the store tommorow.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Your fan problem likely isn't a hardware defect, rather a software one. Open activity monitor (in your utilities folder, or just search for it in spotlight) and select "all processes" and click on the CPU tab. It will show you what processes are using how much CPU. If you're doing nothing but transmission and web browsing, your CPU should be very low generally, and no fans should come on (high CPU= high heat = fans). Perhaps stuff are crashing in the background or something else is running. Whatever it is you can force quit the process that is using up all the CPU. Also if something is using up your CPU, the computer will slow down.

After that I suggest you download iStat menus:
http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=28

It will sit in your menu bar and monitor your cpu usage and cpu temp, and can be a quick indicator if something is using more CPU than it should.

Finally display yellowing from the side is normal. the "yellow display" problem affects the bottom 3/4 of the display when looking at it head on. If yours only gets yellow from the side (normal) you will not get it exchanged. Heat is likely due to excessive CPU usage, as mentioned above. HD will make a lot of noise if you're downloading large files. If you are downloading many large files and doing other HD intensive tasks (i.e. spotlight search) your computer will slow down. Leopard generally starts slower than tiger from my experience, and I have the same "issues" with safari on startup. HD always makes some noise at startup.

In other words your computer is normal and perfectly fine. I can't say the same for what you're running on it though, as the software is likely causing the problems.

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
how do i go about testing the yellowing, I also believe i have the yellowing if i have my screen at a certain angle. For instance in hotmail I cannot even tell the difference between a yellow unread email and a white read email if my screen is at a certain angle looking at it straight on.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
how do i go about testing the yellowing, I also believe i have the yellowing if i have my screen at a certain angle. For instance in hotmail I cannot even tell the difference between a yellow unread email and a white read email if my screen is at a certain angle looking at it straight on.

This is the ONLY "yellow screen" issue, if this test fails then you've got a problem ( although not a big deal IMO):
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/443006/

If the screen turns yellow from other angles, that is the limit of the display, and it's just how it is. It is not a defect.

You can also try calibrating your display (under system pref -> displays -> color) or search for a color profile online for your specific display (difficult).

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Alright so i'll be going to apple with the audio jack problem, the dvd drive eating dvd's and also a crap battery and a magsafe power adaptor that smells like its on fire and is so hot that it burnt me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.