Leaving safari on refreshing page reduces battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daonesteven, May 5, 2009.

1. daonesteven macrumors 6502

I read about how if you leave safari on a website that auto refreshes then it reduces your battery life. Because of this, I'd always leave an empty page on safari before I close it, but is this necessary? I don't even know if this is true

2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure that when you close Safari it is closed. When you re-open Safari it reloads the page. If Safari is let open it will refresh but not when it is closed. I would not worry about having to put it on an empty page.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe leaving the iPhone in safari cause those pages to autorefresh to do just that, however once you lock the screen it will stop. I haven't tried leaving it on a news site and trying it out to verify but I think like it open causes it to do that.

I typically close out safari when I'm done surfing

4. villageindian macrumors member

If you click the Home button and get to the main screen, Safari is still in memory. So any script to refresh the page automatically will run because Safari is running in resident memory.

However, if you hold the Home button for 5-6 seconds, Safari is removed from memory and the page will not refresh at all. It will load when you load Safari.

5. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

This does not happen for a particular website that I visit frequently daily. It's self loading but when I close Safari the auto refresh fails.

It has always been in my impression that background apps are not effected, Safari inclusive. Albeit Safari being resident in memory, it is not active, so the requisite of battery usage is minimal, at best.

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I have no idea what happens when you exit Safari, but in my own use I've noticed that leaving a page open that auto-refreshes greatly diminishes my battery life.

7. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. When I close Safari, I can still see it running in my task manager (available via jailbreak). I always make sure to stop the Safari process for memory reasons, though I haven't noticed any effect on battery life.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Come on guys! Here's the lowdown.

1. Safari will remain running in the background even after you press the home button.

2. To properly quit Safari, open a new page and close the previous page before hitting the home button. This will shut down Safari completely.

3. If Safari was left running in the background and another app or task takes too much memory, Safari will automatically shut down to make more memory for the bloated app.

That's everything you need to know.

9. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I think this, too, is incorrect. If I leave Safari running in the background, I can't open an audio stream through Tuner because of "insufficient memory." Safari sometimes shuts down by itself to free up memory, but not always.
    Apparently not.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It always shuts down for me. Maybe your audio streamer is buggy.

11. SuperKat macrumors regular

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

13. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

Thanks for the tip.

14. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I use several programs to stream audio, and all of them have this problem. Safari is supposed to automatically quit like you say, but sometimes it doesn't coordinate correctly with third-party apps, so you can't be sure.

15. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

The point of the thread is whether having Safari in the breakground will kill battery life.

Just hitting Home button still allows Safari to reside in the memory but there is little, or no processing happening simultaneously. This will not affect the battery much - actually it affects very minimally - battery lifespan.

What I am saying is based on what I understand conceptually. I have no data or numbers to back it up. Since Apple has stated specifically that prior 3.0 there are no background apps working, we can assume that Safari isnt chugging away like a steamroller likewise.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not likely. Safari quits auto refreshing if you don't use it after a certain time lapse.