Leaving to college in 3 days

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kidwithdimples, Aug 20, 2008.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Any advice on what I should bring and what not? I'm not taking everything with me because I know I won't use everything.

I also need to buy speakers + mouse to use with my macbook. I don't think if I order it today.. it will get here by Saturday. Also I don't want to spend much $$ on it, lol.

I was going to buy a printer but my college gave $40 credit limit just for printing anything you want.

2. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

It all really depends on where you are staying, eg dorm, apartment, shared house. Because if your staying in a dorm you won't need pots and pants but you might need detergent and extra blankets

3. silbeej macrumors 6502a

4. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am staying at a dorm. Wow I almost forgot to buy an alarm clock.

And what is a rufi? I hope the campus will give out free condoms for protected sex?

5. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Haha, I think he meant roofies... and let's just hope you have enough social grace to never have a need for these. As for the free condoms, yes... you can pretty much get those anywhere.

:p

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Good luck in the search for Knowledge. Remember, Study, study, and oh yeah, Study. :D

7. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

You should probably fork over a few bucks for the name brand condoms...;)

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, the only thing the free condoms were good for were pranks involving the white liquid hand soap in the bathrooms and people's beds :D

At least I hope that was hand soap, because I did actually use it for it's intended purpose several times a day :eek:

9. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Haha, reverse prank on ya? :p

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the OP will need some of these.;)

11. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

You just never know these days. I have seen a couple of guys walking around without pants on, but it was in the wee hours of the morning

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Roofies

I was wondering what roofies were too so I checked google.

Date-rape drug

Nasty. I'm appalled that someone would even mention that in jest.

13. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Haha, reminds me of this video which I saw today.

14. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn.. it went downhill from the condom part.

No one answered about the speakers or mouse? lol

15. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

where are you going to school?nthat could change what you should bring. I know the college I'm planning on going to will probably be a good place to have a bike, so I'll be bringing mine. Also, maybe a comfortable desk chair? If youre going to be spennding a lot of time studying and writing papers at your desk, a comfortable chair may come in handy. Also, a mini fridge for food might be nice.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Logitech makes good computer speakers with subs (though it's kind to turn the sub low in the dorm) and I'm partial to Microsoft mice, which won't run you too much money.

Bring an extra bottle of shampoo/stick of deodorant, etc. If someone doesn't 'borrow' yours you'll appreciate not having to go out to get a replacement when you run out.

You'll want shower sandals if you share the shower with anyone else.

Get the biggest, sturdiest bag possible for your laundry. I'm talking big and thick. Don't bother with the little mesh hampers and 'off to college!' big box store laundry bags. Get a bigass canvas bag. I know too many people with cutesy mesh hampers that have ripped on the stairs to the laundry room.

A clip-on reading lamp is nice to clip to your bed so you can read when your roommate goes to sleep.

Risers are nice to have if you don't bunk/loft. They probably sell them at the school store, but they could sell out early.

A wee little potted plant can really make a difference in a stanky dorm room, if you're into that kinda thing.

My school gives out free Lifestyles condoms, which are passable in my opinion, though somewhat overused, along with hand lotion, for pranking. I prefer Durex Extra-Sensitive (thinner rubber), myself. :D

If they don't provide it in the room bring a big trash can, you'll appreciate not having to empty it every five seconds when visitors leave it full of popcorn bags and beer cans.

Bring more towels than you'll think you'll need...it's nice to have a clean one even if you don't feel like doing laundry for a while.

Hope that helps...2 years of college and 4 years of boarding school have left me quite well versed on dorm life...:D

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

The bicycle and mini fridge are good ideas.
    Just don't forget to padlock both. :p

18. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I won't be needing a bike. i am 20 mins away from the city (manhattan) and i don't know if they have a place for bikes in front of the hall.

Today I bought a recycle bin, a nice lamp for my desk, bedsheets, comforter and laundry bag. got them all from ikea.

what i need is now:
    - speakers
    - mice
    - alarm clock

19. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Just remember that the length you can go between laundry days depends completely on how many pairs of clean underwear you have.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

And that clean underwear can be worn four times before it need washing.

1. Forwards.
    2. Backwards.
    3. Inside-out Forwards.
    4. Inside-out Backwards.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

As far as speakers, I can live with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speaker System. IIRC, others have liked the Harmon Kardon SOUNDSTICKSII, but I've never had the chance to listen.

As for mice, I prefer a trackball due to CTS. Other members have listed the VX Nano, MX Revolution, V470, and Razer. Again, I've never used them, so not much help, sorry. :eek:

The alarm clock is simple. What ever the loudest, most annoying thing you can find that will get you out of bed! :p

22. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I just need to add, that this does not apply for girls and if you use this method, you won't need the condoms.

You probably won't need very good speaker set, I mean an okay one will suffice because if your in a dorm, more then likely you'll have a room mate so great headphones will probably work better for you.

And get an alarm clock that plugs into the wall but also uses a battery so that incase the power goes out you still are able to wake up on time, you never know! Or just get a battery powered one.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you are going on a date, just do a Kramer, and go commando. Save time, and laundry.

Also, 2 thick drinking glasses, at least 16oz. Keep them in the freezer, ready for assignment at any time, day or night. [​IMG]

Just use your watch. Most electronic watches have an alarm function.

24. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty good advice. I'll use them to my advantages.

and damn.. seems like I will need to buy a router too and my dorm allows student to put routers since only the lounge has wireless, i think.

and i need one because sometimes i want to SSH to my iphone and change stuffs? or just use iphone with wifi.
    :mad:

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yea right. :rolleyes: