LED-Based Laptops from Apple in 2007?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

With confirmation from Apple that they would be pursuing LED-based screen technology in the coming future, there was speculation on which specific models would first see the new LED screens.

Digitimes claims that Apple is currently considering 13.3" and 15.4" panels from AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optotronics. These displays would ship in "second or third quarter of 2007" suggesting a relatively soon launch for the new displays:
Sources recently said AUO and CMO will enter volume production for LED-based LCD modules (LCMs) in the second and third quarter, respectively, of 2007, with CMO being more aggressive in the segment since it will launch more models than AUO.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Erm... they use LED backlights instead of traditional ones. The backlight has never had anything whatsoever to do with dead pixels. Why would it be any different now?

This is something different from OLED panels that do not use LCDs. Here, the LCD is essentially the same one, from the same small handful of manufacturers, as ever, and now the backlight in the assembly is different.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Sounds like a winner, but it does shows that the updated laptops including SantaRosa, 4 Gig memory (fully addressable) and LED will be here later rather than sooner.

No sense to make two revisions in 4 months.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
Erm... they use LED backlights instead of traditional ones. The backlight has never had anything whatsoever to do with dead pixels. Why would it be any different now?

This is something different from OLED panels that do not use LCDs. Here, the LCD is essentially the same one, from the same small handful of manufacturers, as ever, and now the backlight in the assembly is different.
Well what i was presuming is that the screen is made up of LEDs and that you could have a dead LED.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
How about ANYTHING in 2007???

It's May 2007!! Apple has only shipped one new computer all year (8-core). Most of the line hasn't been updated since Sept. 2006! C'mon already! There's no PPC excuses anymore. Let's see some new machines already!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
How about ANYTHING in 2007???

It's May 2007!! Apple has only shipped one new computer all year (8-core). Most of the line hasn't been updated since Sept. 2006! C'mon already! There's no PPC excuses anymore. Let's see some new machines already!
I agree and you can hardly call the 8-core an new machine. Just plop in two new CPUs. They didn't even spec bump/reprice anything. :mad:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
14.1" widescreen macbook (the bezel is big enough to be shrunk to fit this in the existing design, and 14.1 is more common a size) and LED backlit would be nice to see.

the mbp is due a refresh first though. black anodized too please apple.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
this has already been answered in sooooo many threads... power consumption goes down! :)
But I think he was more interested in percentages.. ;)

Power consumption goes down about 13% for the display but since the display is one of the major energy users in a laptop, this is quite a bit. Probably gonna up the battery life by a half hour or so.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
New Laptops in May

Although this based on nothing, don't be surprised to see new Apple Laptops before the launch of the iPhone.

Now which line will be updated first. The pro or consumer. Updating the pro line could cut in to sales of the iPhone and an updated MacBook could cut into the MacBook Pro line.

However, since the new Final Cut Pro suite cannot run on either Mac Mini or MacBook, I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated MacBook.

Again this is based on nothing (but expect to see this happen before May 18).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well what i was presuming is that the screen is made up of LEDs and that you could have a dead LED.
Yeah... that technology is coming, but it's not the one that Apple is talking about. I think it's forecasted to start dropping on notebook computers with smaller displays in the next four or five years. LED backlights are the technology that is here now, but they have not been available in high enough volume or large-size format for replacing every LCD's backlight with the technology so far. :( I do believe that there are notebooks (Sony?) with this technology already being sold.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Yeah... that technology is coming, but it's not the one that Apple is talking about. I think it's forecasted to start dropping on notebook computers with smaller displays in the next four or five years. LED backlights are the technology that is here now, but they have not been available in high enough volume or large-size format for replacing every LCD's backlight with the technology so far. :( I do believe that there are notebooks (Sony?) with this technology already being sold.
Yep, as soon as the quirks of OLED or similar display technologies are worked out (short life span for example) and they can be produced at a reasonable price they will be used in laptops. And THEN we will see huge gains in battery life, color reproduction, brightness, viewing angle, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.