LED for 3G iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heyp, Apr 14, 2008.

1. heyp macrumors 6502

what do you think about having a LED on the iphone to light up when a message/email is received? i'm sure apple could find a way to make it look inconspicuous... i hope they include it

2. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

yeah.. i dont think so

3. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

me either, an LED external of the screen (which is changing to oLED) would looks stupid like those old nokias with the lights on the side. looks kid like

4. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Seems totally reasonable. My Blackberry has a led on the top that blinks red when I have an email or text msg. It's awesome to be able to tell if I have a message when the phone is across the room. It could be done like the LEDs on the notebooks front edge. Simple, clean, and unnoticed when not on.

5. gandalf18 macrumors member

It is annoying not to realize that I've missed a call or message b/c I was out of the room and didn't bother to wake my phone up.

6. Templex macrumors regular

Eh. I don't think Apple will include one, because they look tacky.

It's one of the many reasons why I got a MacBook Pro.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That's a great idea.

They could do what they did on the MacBook Pro's iSight light (15inch)

You can't see the LED unless the iSight camera is on = :D

Perhaps two LEDs under the volume button on the side.

Green = Text message/Email
    Red = Missed call
    Orange = Voicemail

The LED would blink. But make it so people can choose what they want each colour for :)

[​IMG]

8. avalys macrumors 6502

I think this would be useful, too. They could easily hide a subtle green LED above or below the screen, just like the light and proximity sensors are hidden now.

I too have often stepped away from my desk for a minute, come back, and then noticed only a few hours later that someone called in the meantime.

9. Emulsion macrumors 6502

I still don't understand how they did this. I Can be right up on the camera and I don't see the LED at all. It's flawless.

10. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Uh duh, your MBP has an external LED.

11. voi666 macrumors member

make the 'home' button backlit ... it could pulse if you missed a call/received a message

12. zmit macrumors regular

THAT is a brilliant idea..... having the home button backlit would be excellent!
    it can pulse (like the MB and MBP does) when theres a message or voicemail.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What exactly are you doing leaving an iPhone unattended. Security!!! We have a guy here who doesn't have his iPhone on him 24/7!!! ARREST THIS MAN!

It's not a horrible idea, but I don't want it to be too "look at me!!!" The best options seem to be either built in to the home button or on top near the SIM card slot. Actually, with LEDs pretty flexible, you could build in a strip light into the metal border on top that could also maybe be used as a flashlight. Heck if I know. :)

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

They could just as easily change the colour of the unlock slider graphic, or light the glass/plastic rim of the phone, as they could add a flashing light.
    Edit: AS above, you could backlight the home button too.

15. zmit macrumors regular

i think the home button mod would be the most probable method that apple would take......

i, for one, really hope so!

16. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

If Apple puts in a front-facing iSight camera, which I believe they will, then it probably will be exactly like the MBP above.

17. impact_blue macrumors regular

Why not have the Apple logo on the back glow like it does on MBP's?

18. voi666 macrumors member

That would look nice, for sure. But i always place my iPhone face up.

19. heyp thread starter macrumors 6502

i think that's the case for most if not all... i like the home button idea

20. impact_blue macrumors regular

Yea i figured.. the back-lit home button would be a more practical solution. I'm sure Apple will come up with something nice.

Imaged if they had and OLED screen on the new iphone and made it slightly glow when you have a missed call, message, ect. Not even a bright glow, more like an aura..

might be too much heh...

21. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

so what happens when yo have all 3 alerts or combinations? i think this would help drain the battery?

22. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

leds are good..tytn have them..or did have.. works well

23. Emulsion macrumors 6502

There is no way that it would drain the battery...

24. Hockey man macrumors newbie

Hockey man

I would love to have a small LED...

somewhere near the top, in the corner. It would be great if they could make it inconspicuous like the LED on the MBP. I hade a BlackBerry 8700c and I loved that it had the multi color LED on the top corner. It was really nice to be able to look at my phone from a distance and see if I had a message from across the room. I also used to have the original Motorola Razr, and they did an inconspicuous LED type light on the front external screen on the phone. It was for bluetooth, and whenever there was a bluetooth connection with another device, it would appear out of nowhere from the black, and it would glow blue.
    If apple could get the iphone to do the same thing as their MBP that would be so awesome. I also like the idea of the home button being lit up, but I would think that it would be extremely awesome if the home button was in the shape of the apple logo instead of a square. I don't think apple would be able to get the logo to glow on the back, because the way it is done on the MB is just backlighting from the screen. :apple:

25. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i'd love to have something like this, but i don't think Apple would. they want to keep their phone as stylish and sleek as possible. adding a stupid blue or green light is meh.