LED Indicator Notification Light? iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jason2811, Jul 8, 2010.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I noticed that Apple approved some flashlight apps that take advantage of the LED camera flash. Is it possible for someone to develop an app whereby the LED camera flash blinks slightly when you have a notification waiting? The iPhone lacks an indicator notification light that is found on Blackberrys and other phones and this is something people have wanted for a while. Is this possible to develop?

2. SashaFierce Guest

SashaFierce

This is an excellent idea! However I would think that this would significantly drain battery. And some may think that the flash is too bright to be blinking constantly.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

My concern with all these new apps using the LED of the iPhone 4 is that the light will eventually burn out. And replacing it is not an easy or inexpensive task.

4. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Unless it activated only when the phone was moved? Though I guess walking around would cause this to activate all the time.

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

But let's say excessive use of a flashlight app fried your LED. As long as it happened in the first year, it's covered by warranty, no?

6. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I would assume so.

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

On the LOW end of the scale an LED can generally last 50,000 hours. That works out to just under 6 years being on.

8. ogdogg macrumors 6502

FALSE, on both statements. LED lights last a hell of a long time and the whole phone cost less than $190 to make.

9. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I didn't think the tiny LED would require so much battery, but someone stated that their percentage would go down significantly with mild use.

10. coasterider macrumors regular

I already asked a developer, said that the messaging API's were offlimits, private coding, so a notification app is no possible because you cant read the phones texts/emails. May be possible with an instant messenger app or other text app if they implement their own, but would only work with each apps individual messages.

11. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Many types of LEDs are rated up to 50k or 100k hours. Its highly unlikely that you could burn out the LED even if you tried.

12. jwwpua macrumors member

I agree 100% that they should have added an LED for notifications.

Even MORE badass would be having the Home button (square) pulse/glow for notifications.

And even BETTER if you could configure colors for certain events: text = green, missed call = blue, voicemail = red, email = orange (or whatever you wanted).

13. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I wish they would put an LED notification light on the front of their phones like BlackBerry. Oh well, I guess we can't have it ALL.

14. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

if( phone is not moving for a while) and if( phone is on its back) and if(notifications are in) then pulse flash slowly

15. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

great idea - multi color orb notification is such a HOME RUN

patent this NOW !

16. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

+1000, this is one of the best enhancements ive heard for the iphone

17. WilliamG macrumors G3

Disagree 100%. If you want an LED for notifications, making it a BLINDING flash would piss me right off, especially when everyone starts flashing (ooer) at the cinema, or - heck - the middle of the night when a text comes in. NO THANK YOU.

18. draz macrumors 6502a

The status light is ok to have, but I can do without. But modifying it to use the flash is prob not a good idea. I see a quick battery drain just waiting to happen.

19. jwwpua macrumors member

1) it could be optional

2) LEDs don't have to be a bright flash. It depends on what surface the LED is under (smooth/clear vs soft/matte). So it could "glow" like I mentioned. This is done on other devices and you wouldn't see any light unless looking at the button (wouldn't emit enough light to shine on anything)

20. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

a lit ring around the home button that you could configure with different colors for different notifications would be really nice

21. CBX macrumors regular

Idd prefer something more like the battery indicator on the macbook pro's.

A faint green light just built in to the attena strip which you cant see unless its on.

22. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

I really like this idea, you should submit to apple feedback.

23. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

I wonder if you can control the brightness of the LED.

I notice that when you take a picture, the white LED comes on for a second (usually to reduce redeye) then turns off and then comes on SUPER BRIGHT while it takes the photo. Using the LED for Video or one of the many LED flashlight apps will turn it on the same brightness as the pre-flash.

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The square on the home button would be a good option.