Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
since the aforementioned functionality is a system modification rather than an app, you could only do it on a jailbroken phone, really :/

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
I've heard the back glass is very easy to replace.

What if someone could sell a kit where you could replace the back glass with one that had a built-in multi-colour LED that could somehow connect to the dock connector or something.

And then an app which you download will tell the led when to light up and what colour.

I would pay serious money for it...even £100!

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I like the way the Droid's notification system works. I setup blue for a missed SMS message, and green for unread emails. The LED flashes every few seconds, and it's not very bright at all which is what I like. When I had a Blackberry years ago it was like a disco late at night when there were unread messages that sometimes even woke me up it was so bright.

To answer the OP's question more detailed, the request isn't possible. Even if APIs had access to SMS messages the programs are still sandboxed and the program would last a maximum of 10 minutes before dying out on you. You'd literally have to open the program every 10 minutes for the task-completion API timer to reset since it's only allowed to run for a maximum of 10 minutes.

lilros82

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
Status LED indicator

screen
The Droid market had an application with the perfect solution (unfortunately only for Droid phones). It was even better than my BB Bold2'a status light.

The Droid app was called NoLED and it had a different color floating icon on the black-out screen to indicate either message, missed call...etc.

I am really surprised coming from the Droid (which i returned only to get the Iphone 4) that it has some better features than the I4. Hopefully someone will make an application that applies this simple, effective idea to the Iphone series.

This is how the application would make the blackout screen look if you had unchecked sms, emails, and missed calls

http://www.appbrain.com/app/noled/com.led.notify

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
On the LOW end of the scale an LED can generally last 50,000 hours. That works out to just under 6 years being on.
This is only true for continuous use, not on/off cycles, which shorten the lifetime numbers of any type of lamp.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I spend 0% of my day looking at the back of my phone. Using the flash as a notification light would do me no good as my phone is either in my pocket, on it's back with the screen facing up, or in my hands with the screen facing me.

A LED on the front is a whole different story, but I don't get why people keep bringing up stuff like this for the current hardware. We all knew the iPhone 4 (and all of it's predecessors) did not have a light based notification system and we still bought them, no sense in complaining now, you can't change the hardware. Apple will get with the program one day and they will put a new notification system in. Maybe iPhone 5, maybe not- we all know they won't do it until it's close to perfect and decidedly sexy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.