Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lee Pace and Jared Harris have scored lead roles in Apple's upcoming "Foundation" series that's based on the classic Isaac Asimov novel of the same name, reports The Hollywood Reporter.

asimovfoundation.jpg

Pace is known for his roles in "Pushing Daisies" and "Halt and Catch Fire," along with his work in "The Hobbit" movies. Harris is known for "Chernobyl," "Carnival Row," "The Crown," "The Expanse," and "Mad Men," among other TV shows and movies.

Asimov's "Foundation" series follows a psychohistory expert and mathematician Hari Seldon who is able to predict the future. Seldon creates a group called the Foundation to preserve humanity's collective knowledge ahead of the impending fall of the Galactic Empire.

There are multiple novels in the "Foundation" series that span many years and cover the rise and fall of multiple empires. Harris will be playing Hari Seldon, the mathematical genius, while Pace will play Brother Day, the Emperor of the Galaxy.

Apple TV+ is set to launch on November 1, but as "Foundation" is still in the casting stages, it will be some time before it premieres. The service will launch with titles like "The Morning Show," "See," "For All Mankind," and "Dickinson."

Apple is charging $4.99 per month for Apple TV+, but customers who purchase an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Mac can get a free year of service. Each $4.99 subscription fee allows up to six family members to watch.

Article Link: Lee Pace and Jared Harris Cast in Apple's Isaac Asimov 'Foundation' Adaptation

Last edited:
Reactions: bb9 and __jayII__

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
I changed careers from TV post to software engineering, but the news just follows me.
I dig that it's Apple related, but it's not Apple. You know? Are there going to be casting updates for all Apple TV shows, when the catalog expands to a huge number of things? Can you at least post the LAcasting notices so some of us can go on auditions?

gridlocked

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2019
RI
This is really the only thing of interest to me that's coming to the new service (so far) and as the story relates its a long way from realization.

Reactions: CordovaLark

Ormolu

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2019
Europe
Ho hum. No Brother Day in the books, AFAIR: Seldon is the only character that appears throughout a series that spans a millenium or so.

Reactions: rgomez

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Pace also attempted to destroy the planet Xandar with an Infinity Stone.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
Nobody in any Asimov book called "Brother Day". No idea where you got that from. Cleon, Dagobert, Agis... Daluben IV was Emperor at the time of the Seldon trial.

Joey2250

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2009
Asimov's "Foundation" series follows a psychohistory expert and mathematician Hari Seldon who is able to predict the future.

I don't like this wording, he doesn't predict the future. He uses mathematical probability based on historical events to determine within a degree a certainty how future humans will behave en masse. ie he knows what a society will do based on probability, but not what an individual will do.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Here's a tip: for a multitude of unavoidable reasons, books are always butchered by movies based on them. You sit down and read a trilogy? How many hours does that take you over how many months? How dense is the plot? The scenes described in the book take place in your brain, versus having to be actually built out of models and cement and digital inserts. How much was the Game of Thrones set? How much did the book spend? $0. Visual stories must have less detail. Must be condensed. You can flesh it out more over a multi-year series, but what if you start one and it's a bomb? So some people advise you to read the book before the show. I don't. They're both art forms, but the original doesn't get to decide how the second one is made.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Pace was also in that little movie Guardians of the Galaxy.
And fringe, no?
[automerge]1571768639[/automerge]
I don't like this wording, he doesn't predict the future. He uses mathematical probability based on historical events to determine within a degree a certainty how future humans will behave en masse. ie he knows what a society will do based on probability, but not what an individual will do.

“Predict the future” doesn’t mean “predict what individuals will do.”

If we are going to pick on the wording, and I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone, how about the idea that the series is about Seldon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.