Left 4 Dead

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Huntn, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Left 4 Dead. Anyone excited? This game is definitely on my radar. :cool:

I'm curious about Coop play. I've read a variety of rumors and am trying to nail down how many can play Coop Offline? I've read "2 Players" but have not confirmed it.

Can any one think of an advantage of playing this game on a Console vs on a PC/Mac(Bootcamp)?

Thanks!

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I was excited for it but after researching the game I'm not even looking forward to it anymore...I'm sure I'll pick it up but I'm still not seeing what the fuss is about.

I'm sure it will be fun though.....it just not giving a blip on my radar.

Bless

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, you didn't say what turned you off? Cough it up! :) I love coop so it's worth a peak.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Well I thought the game was more on the survival horror side but it seems to be fast paced and arcady horror.....kinda turn me the wrong way. I'm a survival horror fanatic so I was super hype for it until I saw the gameplay and how everything was super fast arcade like.

I'm still getting the game but not until I'm done with what I have in front of me....which is a lot.

Bless

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

way down on my list. Looks fun but with so many other games this fall/winter, something has to give and a multiplayer only (well basically) game with no story mode or anything? Just give me Half Life 2: Ep. 3 before 2012 Valve...

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's kinda on my list. I don't like zombie/survival horror style games, for the same reasons I was never really into that CS Zombie mod. Plus after buying the Orange Box this seems a little bad value, I dunno. They could have at least thrown some old games in there for free.

And I'm still hooked on TF2 :cool:

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm buying L4D. It should be great for LAN parties! :)

8. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I going to get it but after being in Resistence 2 beta, the Online Co-Op for resistence 2 is like Left 4 Dead in someways. The experenece I had online was always different. With 2, 4, 6 or 8 players it was different. The game was different when I had horribe team of 8 and when I had a good team of 8, omg was it a crazy game.

I hope left 4 dead knows how the balance it out like Resistence 2.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You're doubting Valve's ability to balance gameplay :D

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Not really but that backburner in TF 2 with the extra 50 HP did put a sour taste in my mouth.

Yes I know they removed it but it was hell while it was out.

11. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just PC and Xbox.

13. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

If your a Counter Strike fan or even a fan of Valve.. this is a must buy, haha. I mean comon, it's the usual mass zombie massacre movie type deals.. we've seen it at the theaters so why not live it through a game, hahaha!

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

It's Valve, what do you expect :p.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well in a recent OPM Vavle/EA confirmed a port for the PS3.....I don't know what EA learnt over the Orange Box set up but I hope they improve and make this a worthy port.

For the record The Orange Box wasn't that bad on PS3....except the loading times and lack of support for TF2.

Bless

16. esco macrumors 6502

esco

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Just played the surprisingly long L4D2 demo on X-box live. Mostly more of the same, but outstanding never the less. Nothing like survival action shooting zombies in New Orleans! :D

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Still... admit it, it hasn't been long since you were first talking about L4D1. :p

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh wow old comment. I got L4D1 in Jan and haven't looked back. It's all I really play now, 390 hours and counting.

I wasn't really impressed by the L4D2 demo, I know the full game will be killer but the demo really didn't show any of that. Except for the intro trailer.

20. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Guilty as charged! It's only been a year... ;)

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

L4d2

Just played the first campaign, a very good reason to hate the mall! ;) Now working on the carnival. They have done a great job on the environments.

Overall they have done some nice balancing of the game. It seems like it is easier to avoid tanks and hunter. I'm not a super hot shot, getting through the mall in coop was difficult for us on normal. Sad huh? :eek:

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I hate that mall campaign, it's a nice one to start off with because its urban and geometric. But the last map before the finale is just the biggest 'MEH' since Crash Course.

The rest are ace. Personal fave is Hard Rain. When I first played through that I was blown away. That's an unbelievably good looking storm! Really made it tense too.

The Tank and Hunter are too easy now I think. Charger seems to be the most damaging new infected, he's the only reason why we've had to restart a map a few times.
    Overall it seems a bit... um... much? L4D1 was precise and had great suspense, L4D2 is more like the action sequel. Terminator 1 and 2 right there :D. Both great though, even if all the new modes, weapons, infected etc are a little overwhelming at first.

Also: The Parish finale. It's just brilliant yawl.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I've been playing it on PC. The Xbox version is dumbed down (just like the 1st game) to handle the lack of control with... controllers.

The game is by every means worth the money. The levels are expansive, you can't "corner up" like you used to be able to do. Melee weapons are awesome (the baseball bat and chainsaw are uber!) I think it was the 2nd campaign where you'e in the mansion during the finale, what a bitch that was.

Course, me and the guys are playing it on expert.

24. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm having a hard time giving up dual pistols for a melee weapon for a very logical reason, in all cases it's better to shoot them far away. And I'm not sure it's worth having just for those cases when you get surrounded. Opinions? :)

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I have L4D2.... but it's in wrapping paper and I can't open it until Xmas :eek: