Legit Applecare seller on Ebay needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cleverwabbit, May 8, 2010.

1. cleverwabbit macrumors newbie

Hi
    I thought my apple care one year expired on June 10 but it expires on May 10th. Which gives me only a couple days to get it. I am not near any physical apple dealers, I drove 2 hours today to buy one from a classified and it was for a 13 inch not a 15 inch, I am so upset.:( and today was the only day I had to find it.
    I have to buy the code so I can do it online. I was going to buy it from one of the sellers on ebay but I read how there are scams out there. Can anyone recommend a legit seller who they have purchased apple care from and had no issues. I called apple and tried to buy the code but they have to ship it and it won't make it in time and there is no grace period. Please help.
    Thanks!

2. jesterscourt macrumors regular

jesterscourt

Can't you buy Apple care directly from Apple's website?

3. cleverwabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

Must be shippped

They can't give the number over the phone, they don't have the product in hand. They can only ship it on Monday, too late.

4. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

How about researching the ratings of AAPL care sellers to see who seems trustworthy? More times than not, the code is emailed minutes after you pay.

5. justn macrumors member

justn

Order it from Apple, you'll get it and go to register, and it will say you're too late (this is OK). You can send them proof of when you purchased it and they should authorize it for you. I did this with my last MacBook.

6. cleverwabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

Powersellers scammers too

From what I have read there are some scammers that are powersellers so even if they have great feedback the codes could be fraudulent. I wanted to see if anyone has purchased applecare on ebay and hasn't had any problems. I have heard that they send you the code then return the box and your applecare is revoked. Also the code works for a little while then it stops.

7. cleverwabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple said no

the rep on the phone told me that the purchase date didn't matter. That I could have bought it months ago and not installed it by the expiration date it wouldn't matter.

8. justn macrumors member

justn

I'd call BS on that one. I ordered about 5 days before my original year was up, got the box a couple days after my year expired, and I emailed them my proof of purchase and it was activated no problem. (this was about 1.5 years ago)

IMO, you can either get screwed out of it via Ebay, or take your chance from Apple (I'd choose Apple).

I guess this will teach you not to procrastinate.

9. cleverwabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe their policy has changed since then

all I know is what the rep told me. He was not nice about it either.

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I was told on this forum to just make sure that whoever you order it from will send you the box. I ordered from this guy and had no problems. I registered the Applecare with no problems and I asked for and received a new shiny box.

BE WARNED! After you register online with Apple, they tell you to keep your receipt as proof of purchase. They say you might need it for future use. They say nothing about the box. What would happen if you brought your broken laptop to Apple and they asked for a receipt for your Applecare?

Well, if you bought from Apple or Amazon or B&H then nothing. If you bought from Ebay then then they would probably send you packing.

I'm not saying they will just that the possibility is there....

11. cleverwabbit thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked on the seller you recommended above, he said he would send me the code via email, and mail me the box with everything in it and a proof of purchase receipt. He is also a AAR so Apple shouldn't dispute the receipt.
    I will let the forum know if he doesn't follow through.
    Thanks for your help!!:)

12. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Thanks.......... looking forward to see if you get the stuff the seller promised.

JohnG

13. earthdan macrumors member

So has anyone actually used their ebay applecare after they registered?

Any problems encountered because of not having a receipt etc?

cheers,
    Dan

14. silencer88 macrumors member

15. hypebeast macrumors newbie

So, did OP get the box and proof of purchase like what was advertised? I am also looking to buy from this guy, but hearing that you need proof of purchase is making me second think myself.

16. snowboarder macrumors 6502

cphorse2001 - got a box from him for $190

the only way to be sure - you need a boxed version

17. caspergirl macrumors member

Despite that i havent received my macbook pro yet because in my country we havent official apple but we have only apple resellers i have searched for applecare on ebay. I found a seller named electronic king who told me that it is possible to email me the registration code and to provide me an invoice to validate the warranty. If the invoice isnt from official apple resellers is it possible to have troubles with the validation of applecare?

im sorry for my english... is not my native language :p

18. piwi macrumors regular

That has always puzzled me. How can they sell Apple Care boxes for 190$ when Apple sells them for 300$? Where do they get them? Why does Apple even bother selling them if one can buy them cheaper?
    If they can sell for 190$ and make a profit after the eBay fee and the Paypal tax, they must be buying it for somewhere around 130$, right?

19. piwi macrumors regular

You should try and call Apple on that one, it's best to get it from the horse's mouth ;)

20. caspergirl macrumors member

The problem is that in my country we havent official apple ;)

and after that the official apple will not answer something like that ;)

21. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog

22. piwi macrumors regular

I'm still very much wondering where and how they get Applecares so cheap. Any clues?

23. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

maybe they fall off trucks?

24. piwi macrumors regular

but then Apple would not allow you to activate them? Besides, when something falls off a truck you don't get them by the container. Or am I being too naive?

25. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

wow so true...how do they get them so cheap?

Also I was planning on buying AppleCare from ebay but became hesitant after speaking with an employing of from the APple store and he told me sometimes they work for a few days and stop so they even have a positive feedback but idk I hope it goes well for you and please do inform the rest of us how it goes.

I just bought my MBP and so I still have a 9 months before I have to worry :) but hopefully I can come back to this thread with your take after 9 months (thanks and best of luck)