Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lenovo recently launched a new ad for its Yoga 900S 2-in-1 notebook, mocking the "iGuy" stereotype of an Apple fan in comparing the device to the MacBook. The ad shows off the Yoga's reversible hinge, high-resolution touchscreen, and multiple ports, with the supposed Apple fan seeking in vain to show how the MacBook is better and more innovative than Lenovo's notebook.

Amusingly, the ad even makes reference to MacRumors as the "iGuy" plays with the Yoga reversible hinge:
To show you why Apple's the best, we're gonna compare my MacBook to this Lenovo Yoga 900S. Because Apple's all about innovation.

(bends reversible hinge) I mean, I'm sure the next MacBook's gonna do that. I mean I think I read that on MacRumors.
Starting at $1099, the Yoga 900S features Skylake Core m processors, a 12.5-inch touch display with up to 2560x1440 resolution, and up to 10.5 hours of battery life in a device measuring 12.8 mm thick and weighing 2.2 pounds. On the connectivity front, the Yoga 900S includes one USB Type-A 3.0 port, one USB Type-C 3.0 port, and one USB Type-A 2.0 port that serves dual duty as the power connector.

(Thanks, killawat!)

Article Link: Lenovo Ad Pokes Fun at Apple Fans, MacRumors Gets a Mention

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
The spot feels... unpolished somehow. The muffled audio, the slightly too long edit cuts... I dunno, it feels more like it was professionally 'fan made' for a lack of a better description.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Title at time of original comment: Lenovo's 'iGuy' MacRumors Fan Compares MacBook to Yoga 900S

As awesome as it is that MR was mentioned in an actual ad, the title of this article confused the ever-loving hell outta me.

In my borderline worthless opinion, something like "Lenovo's 'iGuy' Ad Compares MacBook to Yoga 900S, Referencing MacRumors" is clearer albeit 12 characters longer.

EDIT: The title was changed and is now much better.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
There's lot of good arguments there, but there's two major things that stand out:

It still Windows vs OS X (as well as hardware) and secondly, what's the point with a high res screen on a Windows laptop with the truly awful DPI scaling? That's what sets the Retina display apart.
Agreed, the Windows HiDPI implementation is horrible. About the worst there is next to none, despite some improvement since Windows 8.

OS X got it right at the very beginning with Mountain Lion and the Retina MacBook Pro in mid 2012. Still the best desktop OS for HiDPI displays.

Last edited:

Macisperfect

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
That was utter non sense. Operating a touch screen is more work... You've to make sure of a bunch of other things and yuck no one wants that. The newer MacBook (Pro/Airs') hinges will definitely be better but Apple knows what they're doing despite the release taking forever... A Lenovo over a Mac?! That's insane. macOS ALL DAY! Running Sierra on work computer and its still a champ. Can't wait to see Apple's response to this nonsense.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Some things to consider though:
  • It's several hundreds more expensive than a MacBook for equivalent specs
  • Battery life isn't as good
  • Trackpad isn't as good
  • Flash storage isn't as good
  • Color accuracy isn't as good
  • Windows HiDPI support still isn't anywhere close OS X's
  • May come with malware preinstalled by Lenovo
  • Probably will have half of the MacBook's resale value down the road
  • Customer support won't be as good
  • How do the form factors compare IRL? Sometimes laptops seem just as small as the MacBook when you just look at specs, but the MacBook's dramatic taper makes it much smaller volumetrically, and it's something you notice in person.
I have absolutely zero desire for a touchscreen on my laptop. Having multiple ports is nice, but otherwise everything about the MacBook seems better.

Having to pay ~$200 more plus dealing with all the downsides above doesn't seem like a good compromise for gaining more ports IMO.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.