lenovo macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fewture, Feb 11, 2009.

1. fewture macrumors regular

I am in the market for MBP (have macbook but want a bigger screen) but then I saw this:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/05/lenovo-debuts-three-new-y-series-midrange-laptops/

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=ideaPad&thread.id=6873

I like the design quite a bit and could consider 'switching back' to Windows 7 if need be. Besides the fact they will be considerably cheaper.

I love Mac OSX but the premium is not necessarily worth it for me.

Not after the usual, 'so go back to windows' comments, just your thoughts on this Lenovo. I would like more Apple design style PC laptops around. Good competition for Apple. I don't like the Sony range (except their SZ)

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

A big incentive to buy Apple notebooks over the rest is because their form factor is usually waaay nicer than the competition's.

Although I prefer the aluminum of an MBP, I still think that Lenovo model looks really classy. It sorta looks like something you'd expect an upscale Hong Kong businessman or trendy college student to be using; the design looks really Chinese hahahaha...

Nice find.

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

If you want to use Windows and get the Lenovo, that's great.

It really depends on your software needs. Some people need Mac OSX, some need Windows, and some need both.

4. fewture thread starter macrumors regular

yep more interested in opinions on the lenovo as computer vs macbook pro

If the casing actually feels well made, then I might go for this one over a MBP. I do love the unibody feel, but carbon fibre parts sounds sexy too :)

Not really wanting to move back to Windows, but i have no real strong alliance or investment to either so Im ok

5. fewture thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I agree, thats why I got sucked into Apple stuff! - and honestly the new macbook pro design, I am so so about - something about it isn't quite right (still pretty amazing though)

6. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Looks cheap. Priced cheap. Which probably means.......

A better comparison to a Macbook pro (at least the 17") is the W700 series. Plastic, but built better than a MBP, rock solid, has a tablet built into it, a better screen by leaps and bounds, its downfall is its enormous size......and its kind of ugly.

7. Ploki macrumors 68000

shaped like previous MBP, in a way.
    it looks less cheap than other PC laptops of the same range.
    if it feels like it looks it isnt probably half bad.

8. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Haven't owned an IdeaPad so can't comment on that, but will say that as a long time user of ThinkPads, although ugly the build quality and durability are exceptional. So long as Lenovo brings that same level of attention and quality to the IdeaPad line, if you do choose to switch back to Windows (and really, Windows 7 is shaping up really nicely), Lenovo is a solid choice. Would definitely be my first choice over a Dell or HP, easy.

9. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'd argue that it's screen is better, and that it's better built. We deploy Thinkpad workstations by the dozen here on a regular basis, and I've yet to see one that exceeds the quality of my MBP, even when considering the T and W series.

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Well, better built as in more durable, not higher quality. I think the Lenovo's will take the bangs and bumps better than a MBP will. The MBP looks way better though and is still plenty durable. I think if you did a drop test the Lenovo's would win.

Also some of the reviews I have seen for the W series says that the screen blows away any other laptop screen....but who really knows. Anyone doing color sensitive work shouldn't be using a laptop screen anyway.

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

History clearly teaches us that Windows 7 will certainly be nothing more than lipstick on a pig that already has many layers of lipstick.

If you can tolerate Windows, I'm sure the Lenovo solution will work well for you.

12. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

It look good. The only problem is that it look like it will be an ultra portable, looking at how it's thin. You should look at the specs before ordering, to be sure you're not with a atom or underpowered processor and graphic.

13. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

14. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Lenovo makes some great notebooks, but the IdeaPad line is nothing like their Thinkpads. I've used a few models from the ideapad line and they seem to be relatively well built, but I wouldn't buy one based on the fact that they are completely made of plastic. It just feels cheap to me.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hear they do. The quality is supposed to be good.

Lenovo really did try to make a consumer line, but there are some details that seem very Thinkpad-ish, as it's hard for them to move away from that strong design, so it's not as consumer-ish as you'd think.

The one thing I don't like is the low screen resolution. Even the 16" models have a low resolution. No thanks. For that reason I'd look towards something else, perhaps a Dell.

Actually, you're right, especially that orange ring around the top of the keyboard area, and the screen.

I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't say anything.

16. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Can't say I like the styling... however, that's not important in the world of computing. Windows 7 is a much needed improvement in the world of MS. If you want to stay on OS X, why not just look at the refurbs or just save a few extra $$$ and wait an extra month before making the jump to the MBP. Have you considered getting a prev gen MBP instead?

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

18. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Except the fact that the majority of user feedbacks on the beta version has been extremely positive. the lipstick on a pig certainly applies to vista, not 7.

19. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The IBM Thinkpads were built like tanks and were awesome. Ever since they got bought out by Lenovo though I think a lot of that trusted IBM quality doesn't quite apply any more. These Ideapads look pretty ugly to tell the truth. After aluminum Macbooks, anything plastic just doesn't seem as sturdy.

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I think the same thing, anything plastic and more than a $1000 in computer terms just isnt pushing my buttons anymore

Its like buying a plastic car, there would be nothing wrong with it, but when you've spent that much money you simply expect more...

21. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

See, I don't think plastic is so bad. Obviously I prefer aluminum because I have a MBP but plastic is certainly more durable than the thin aluminum of a MBP.

Drop your MBP on the corner from two feet up and its dented and probably doesn't close correctly anymore. Do the same with a Lenovo and its probably fine.

22. semitry macrumors member

My Lenovo Thinkpad W500 seems stronger than my MBP. I have no issues man handling the W500 but with all the people denting and breaking their MBPs on this forum, I am really careful with the MBP.

23. Hmac macrumors 68020

Maybe. Time will tell, but the beta testing on Vista was extremely positive too. And even after the fact, when they did brand-blinded user surveys as part of their "Mojave Experiment" marketing game, user response to "Mojave" (which was actually Vista) was extremely positive too.

At work I've had to use every version of Windows since 95 and all have been recurrently complete with program incompatibilities/crashes, BSOD with every little hardware/driver change, interminable security updates, viruses, spyware, registry problems...well, a long list. I'll switch back at home/laptop if and when the PC experience provides me with something better, but I'm not holding my breath after all these years.

24. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Clearly you've not used 7 at all. The performance is quite good, the ui cleaned up, and it's very stable.

25. youpey macrumors member

i have a thinkpad for about 8 years now. it was my primary computer until i just got the mac at the end of december.

here are the good
    the laptop lasted me for 8 years and it is still going
    it was built with very high quality

here are the bad
    the customer service - i had a hard drive go bad. they didnt have it in stock, so i had to wait 6 weeks for a new one. they wouldnt upgrade it to the next size, which was in stock, and i offered to pay the difference in cost. the computer was still in warranty, but they didnt care.

my friend bought one, and it was bad, he sent it in for service. they returned it saying couldnt find a problem. this happened 2 or 3 times, before he returned the laptop and got a new one. he had to actually return it, and re-order. it was only because it was in the return time allowed policy

from my experience, for the most part their computer is very good, very good. their customer service, well not good at all