Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
I have even owned a Thinkpad before? I have owned several Thinkpads over the years and their build quality is impeccable.

And being Chinese doesn't give you right to insult your own country's products.

I am sure you have.

Im not a Chinese citizen im merely of Chinese ethnicity.

I have had good experiences with all of my IBMs. However I cant say the same of my Lenovos.

Lets just face it, even Jaguar which has been bought over by tata has suffered from a decrease in quality. Same goes for Thinkpads

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
MX11x is not the same as Lenovo X1.

Studies beg to differ:

laptop-reliability.png

Unless you have used this specific Lenovo X1 and MBA, stop talking about build quality because all you are doing is generalizing based on your opinion that all Chinese stuff has bad build quality. If you haven't used it or even heard from someone who has used it, then you have absolutely no idea about the build quality.

Actually your graph shows exactly how less reliable Lenovos are...

I have not had the chance to use this exact model but I personally own others and they arent great. I do own a MacBook Air so i know how the quality compares to my other lenovos.

Its not even about Apple being great anymore. In fact, I am in awe of the build quality of Sony Vaios (I personally own a P)

Lastly it is a fact that chinese goods are of low quality that you cant deny

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
The computer you're using right now is probably Made in China. The parts inside are probably MIC as well.

Re: bolded text- is it correct to say "Way to generalize/assume" here?

1. The hinge issue has been rectified. Dell tech came up to my office with parts in hand the day after I called in and did the repair on the spot. Even gave me a free Dell portable wireless mouse for my inconvenience. No issues since (~4 months since repair now)

2. Build quality between my Alienwares, Macs and Sonys have all been consistently 'good'. Work IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad has been running for 3 years, no issues at all.

I'm not saying that the X1 is the best laptop in the world or anything, but your blanket statements (again correct me if I'm using this in the wrong context) are simply incorrect.

True im using a MBA now which is of course made in China.

1. Good to hear they fixed your hinge that issue still remains as a pain in the ass for my brother as Dell is quite uncooperative over in this country so great support from Dell over there.

2. I have to agree with you on Macs and Sonys and IBMs. However this is not the case for my lenovos unfortunately :(

and in fact i wasnt even talking bout reliability. I was talking about build quality how everything feels when you hold it. i think in that regard, everyone here can agree that macs totally pwn the lenovos

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Apple R&D : Cuppertino for years
IBM then Lenovo a part of R&D and design : Yokohama for years (Lenovo YAMATO Lab)

Lenovo YAMATO Lab Introduction
Yamato has been the primary site for ThinkPad product development since its inception in 1992. Visitors will be briefed on notebook PC related technology trends including hardware subsystems, and Lenovo ThinkVantage features, followed by a ThinkPad test lab tour showing test and development labs

Booth build in China some Mac and Thinkpad models even come form Foxconn. MacBook (Air and Pro), Thinkpad and Elite/ProBook are very good laptops.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I honestly can't believe a normal powered chip like that can sport that long of battery life. You can't have your cake and eat it too, something has to give.

Also srsly gorilla glass on the screen? Now I'm beginning to understand the 3200.00 price tag.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
This thread doesn't make any sense. Lenovo X1 will never be a MBA challenger unless it can run OS X.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This thread doesn't make any sense. Lenovo X1 will never be a MBA challenger unless it can run OS X.

Uh, why ? People buy computers to accomplish tasks. What tasks require OS X ? Seriously, an OS is an OS as long as it can do what you want it to do.

The Lenovo X1 looks good, it's not as thin though as a MBA, screen resolution is a tad low and 16:9 aspect is wrong. The GPU is bad. All in all, a good contender, but I still prefer my 13" MBA.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Actually your graph shows exactly how less reliable Lenovos are...

And it destroys your baseless claim that Apple has better quality than others:

Cerano said:
2. Better QC. Anyone in the industry knows that Apple holds its manufacturers to a higher standard than as per the norm in the industry.

Apple's quality is average. It's not great but it's not bad either. Lenovo is a bit worse but nothing catastrophically yet. There is also the fact that Apple's cheapest laptop is 999$ while Lenovo has some sub-400$ laptops too. Those cheap laptops are included in Lenovo's figures. Usually build quality is better when the price goes up.

Lastly it is a fact that chinese goods are of low quality that you cant deny

Which applies to Apple's products as well, since they are manufactured in China.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
X1 looks ok, good form factor, but would rather have a 13" MBA with 1400x900 anyday for home use, and a cheap, well-spec'd Dell for office work.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Been wanting to post something about the Lenovo x120e 11" laptop here since I got it a few days ago, but been changing my mind, afraid to get blasted hehe...Anyway's here goes:

Had MacBooks for years, the MacBook Air 11" being my latest. Since I would really like an updated MBA, I got rid of the MacBook Air and went the opposite direction and got the Lenovo 11.6" x120e with the new AMD Fusion processor...my first Lenovo ever.

Only just released a month ago, and possitively reviewed by many, here are my thoughts on the x120e:

Price:
At $549, this thing is a steal!
-1.60 AMD Fusion Processor E-320 (this is the latest AMD processor with a built in GPU, and it is quite fast!)
-2 gigs RAM (easily upgradeable)
-320 gigs HD (easily upgradeable to an SSD with trim!)
-11.6" LED (1366x768 native)
- Ethernet, VGA, USB, SD Card and HDMI ports!!!!
-6 pack removeable battery (up to 7 hours of battery life)
-and more

Form:
1. This thing is built like a tank...never was I afraid of throwing around a laptop. From the LCD hinge to the removeable battery (yes, you heard that right), this thing was well designed. The body has a tough matte surface that is nice to hold and does not easily scratch. Although I would have preferred a slightly rubbery surface, but that's just me.

2. The 'chicklet', splash proof keyboard is the best I have ever used, and yes, it's better than the MB's in my opinion.

3. Not as thin as the MBAs, but it is portable enough and thin enough to look better than any laptops out there. And I think it looks really sexy!

4. The classic 'red nub' mouse is actually pretty useful sometimes.

5. The fact that I can upgrade the RAM, HD and battery easily on this thing is a big bonus. I already popped in an extra 2 gigs of RAM and will upgrade the stock HD (5400rpm) to an SSD. And even with the stock HD, this thing is really snappy!

6. Now the slight downer, the TFT LCD is not as nice as the MBA's. Although it is an LED display, it has a narrow horizontal viewing angle (the bottom part of the screen is slightly washed out on normal viewing). Think of it as the old unibody MacBook's screen. Despite this, it is still a useable screen, specially with it's anti-glare quality. Nope, it doesn't have a glass overlay and it is useable outside. Despite my complaints, I still like it and since I will only be using this to surf the net, check email and MS Office, this was not a deal-breaker for me.

UPDATE/ADDITIONAL: Forgot to mention the HDMI out port that really works, flawlessly! I use it on my 46 inch Sony KDL46NX810 at 1920x1080 resolution.

1. What can I say, I use both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 and to me, there is nothing wrong with Windows 7. It is functional as it is fast on this lappy.

2. Instant on you say? I was surprised how fast this thing boots and recovers from sleep. I've since learned that the 'Lenovo Experience' software buil-in has something to do with this. No, this is not bloatware, it is actually useful stuff from preserving your battery life to speeding up Windows 7. Mine sleeps immediately when the lid is closed and wakes up just as fast (even faster sometimes) compared to my MBA.

3. For you MS Office fans out there, this baby runs Office like butter. If you find it a sluggish experienece on your MBA, this thing will change your mind about how fast Office really is.

4. Been using Safari on it...same speedy experience as with my MBA.

Well, that's about it I guess. I thought I can hold off on owning an MBA for now and save hundreds of dollars in the process. The small Thinkpad x120e fit the bill and I think I will be using this thing for years to come.

Last edited:

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Thanks donster28 for the honest review there. Glad you like it! I'm sure once you upgrade the HD to an SSD, it will feel quite a bit faster as well. How do you feel about the trackpad size on the Lenovo?

No probs, my pleasure. :)

The trackpad size is just fine for me. Although smaller than the MBA's, never did my fingers go over the edge when using it...It never felt insufficient.

Believe it or not, there is a 'two-finger scroll' function built-in from Lenovo that works but not as good as the MB's in my opinion.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Looks good. I wonder what the actual price will be when it launches.

Apple's QC is no better than anyone else.

Apple has made QC mistakes just like any other manufacturer. Right from the 2006 plastic Macbook's cracking cases to the MBA's cracking hinges, to the yellow screen tints of the iMacs to the iPhone4's antennagate to the iPad backlight bleeds. These are the major ones. There are some minor yet very dangerous defects like the overheating iPods and iPads.

That said, I do have a MBP 17 myself. But what I am trying to say is that every manufacturer has defects and Apple is no exception.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Lets just face it, even Jaguar which has been bought over by tata has suffered from a decrease in quality. Same goes for Thinkpads

Terrible analogy that i'm afraid, since when were Jaguar ever considered to be good quality?? Luxury cars yes, reliable or good quality, never. I have one actually, and yes I love it, but they're a crock of ***** for build quality I can assure you.

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
And it destroys your baseless claim that Apple has better quality than others:

Apple's quality is average. It's not great but it's not bad either. Lenovo is a bit worse but nothing catastrophically yet. There is also the fact that Apple's cheapest laptop is 999$ while Lenovo has some sub-400$ laptops too. Those cheap laptops are included in Lenovo's figures. Usually build quality is better when the price goes up.

Which applies to Apple's products as well, since they are manufactured in China.

its not baseless. its anecdotal. i dont buy that many laptops to be able to generate a confidence interval or conduct statistical inference on make reliability. but i think you can ask pretty much anyone here how much more reliable a HP/Compaq is over an Acer :D

True no one knows how this $2000 laptop will hold up yet

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
Terrible analogy that i'm afraid, since when were Jaguar ever considered to be good quality?? Luxury cars yes, reliable or good quality, never. I have one actually, and yes I love it, but they're a crock of ***** for build quality I can assure you.

Sorry mate, I had a S-type that stuck with me for 6 years without a hitch :) but my new XF looks cool and all but the radiator just broke... again :(

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
Looks good. I wonder what the actual price will be when it launches.

Apple's QC is no better than anyone else.

Apple has made QC mistakes just like any other manufacturer. Right from the 2006 plastic Macbook's cracking cases to the MBA's cracking hinges, to the yellow screen tints of the iMacs to the iPhone4's antennagate to the iPad backlight bleeds. These are the major ones. There are some minor yet very dangerous defects like the overheating iPods and iPads.

That said, I do have a MBP 17 myself. But what I am trying to say is that every manufacturer has defects and Apple is no exception.

I have to +1 on the apple having defects too but from my personal exp, Apple,Sony,HP have much better QC

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005

no it hasn't u have no idea what you're talking about along both fronts

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
no offense mate but I dont think any POS Lenovo can compare to a MBA in build quality. Anything designed by a chinese company cant compare.
Chinese and good quality should never fit together in a sentence.

And im chinese myself so please dont accuse me of being racist. Its just that Chinese goods suck so much even chinese people dont buy them

Typical ignorant response from an Apple fanboy who doesn't know any better.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I have had several Thinkpads. Currently, I have a (no longer made) Thinkpad T60 (IPS Flexview). To this day, it's screen blows my 15" MBP's screen away (I love my MBP). Unfortunately, Lenovo, the last few years, has produced some lousy screens.

Aside from the screens, Lenovo has produced some nice laptops: X60/61 Tablet, T400 series, and x200 series. This X1 looks good. Also, IBM/Lenovo's keyboards are far superior to Apple laptops. Again, even though my MBP's keyboard is ok, my T60's keyboard is a lot better.

For me, my MBP is overall the best laptop I've ever had. Also, I prefer OSX to Windows. However, there are alternatives out there.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I have had several Thinkpads. Currently, I have a (no longer made) Thinkpad T60 (IPS Flexview). To this day, it's screen blows my 15" MBP's screen away (I love my MBP). Unfortunately, Lenovo, the last few years, has produced some lousy screens.

Aside from the screens, Lenovo has produced some nice laptops: X60/61 Tablet, T400 series, and x200 series. This X1 looks good. Also, IBM/Lenovo's keyboards are far superior to Apple laptops. Again, even though my MBP's keyboard is ok, my T60's keyboard is a lot better.

For me, my MBP is overall the best laptop I've ever had. Also, I prefer OSX to Windows. However, there are alternatives out there.

It's a good thing they're going back to putting IPS displays in their newer models then :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.