Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I can pretty much guarantee that you will have issues installing linux. Aside from the fan noise, you had a machine that was fully configured for your needs, you're going to be back to square one now, and that includes the frustrating aspect of installing/configuring linux. The successes you enjoyed getting linux to work, may not occur with a different machine.

Yes, I guess I just need to find the right Thinkpad model.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Problem solved and custom built to run Linux

https://system76.com/laptops

I like their version of Linux.
[doublepost=1541785571][/doublepost]Just went to Apple Store and BestBuy to check out the new Air. For the two machines I tried, it took at least 2-3 times longer to launch Office’s applications than some of the Windows laptops I picked randomly. Moreover, during video playback, the entire machine vibrated.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

They are a local Colorado company based here in Denver. I don’t know much else about them other than I believe they get units from Clevo and the like and them do all the legwork for you with firmware drivers and other hardware components to ensure that it is 100% Ubantu compatible.

Not being a Linux user, I haven’t really investigated them fully, but I am sure they also would boot to Windows 10 just fine.

Moreover, during video playback, the entire machine vibrated.

Now that’s just odd. I am assuming the vibration is from the fan?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
They are a local Colorado company based here in Denver. I don’t know much else about them other than I believe they get units from Clevo and the like and them do all the legwork for you with firmware drivers and other hardware components to ensure that it is 100% Ubantu compatible.

Not being a Linux user, I haven’t really investigated them fully, but I am sure they also would boot to Windows 10 just fine.

Now that’s just odd. I am assuming the vibration is from the fan?

Maybe the speakers are so powerful that it vibrated the laptop? If you put your hands on the keyboard or palm rest area, you will feel it.

The very slow launching of MS applications is caused by poor Y cpu or ssd?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Maybe the speakers are so powerful that it vibrated the laptop? If you put your hands on the keyboard or palm rest area, you will feel it.

The very slow launching of MS applications is caused by poor Y cpu or ssd?

Could be either.... or both. But guessing if it was the base model with the 128GB SSD that the SSD could be a big part.

Queen6

macrumors G4
[doublepost=1541785571][/doublepost]Just went to Apple Store and BestBuy to check out the new Air. For the two machines I tried, it took at least 2-3 times longer to launch Office’s applications than some of the Windows laptops I picked randomly. Moreover, during video playback, the entire machine vibrated.

Colour me surprised :p The Air is designed for "basic" productivity, little else, hence the duel core Y series CPU, what you want doesn't currently exist...

Q-6
[doublepost=1541812307][/doublepost]
Could be either.... or both. But guessing if it was the base model with the 128GB SSD that the SSD could be a big part.

It's a Y series CPU same as my rMB they are very limited, what poor choice. Apple filled a gap and killed an icon :( Totally impressed :rolleyes:

Air should have 15W U series CPU and start with a 256 SSD, sadly Tim Crook is running the show :( On the brighter side there's better hardware out there that actually offers value for money :)

Q-6

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Colour me surprised :p The Air is designed for "basic" productivity, little else, hence the duel core Y series CPU, what you want doesn't currently exist...

Q-6
[doublepost=1541812307][/doublepost]

It's a Y series CPU same as my rMB they are very limited, what poor choice. Apple filled a gap and killed an icon :( Totally impressed :rolleyes:

Air should have 15W U series CPU and start with a 256 SSD, but sadly Tim Crook is running the show :( On the brighter side there's better hardware out there that actually offers value for money :)

Q-6

Yeah, you know I agree. I was looking at the specs earlier and aside from the lack of TB3 ports, I much prefer even my 15W i7/16GB/512GB Surface Pro Gen. 5 to the MacBook Air and the Surface Pro 6 is better yet.

The Air is a great portable laptop for light work and travel if your needs are basic and you like the Apple Eco. But aside from that I am failing to see the $1200 value.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Out of interest, does the LX1E have the same exterior finish as the X1C? I can't find any retailers anywhere near me that have either in store, and I know a lot of people have talked about the X1C being a super fingerprint magnet.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Just received an email from Lenovo asking my experience with their "1st generation" product. They sent it to me after they received my X1E. Before that, I received two other emails asking for my experience with their products and sales. Have been Apple user since Apple II. Apple never asks such questions. Hope Lenovo continues to improve.

Reactions: Queen6

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Just received an email from Lenovo asking my experience with their "1st generation" product. They sent it to me after they received my X1E. Before that, I received two other emails asking for my experience with their products and sales. Have been Apple user since Apple II. Apple never asks such questions. Hope Lenovo continues to improve.

You make a good point. I returned 4 2018 MacBook Pro laptops and did not receive a single email asking my opinion or experience with any of them.

I received 3 from Lenovo. 1 about 2 weeks after I received it, another after I returned it and a 3rd asking about my experience with the service call to arrange the return.

I can’t say how well they follow the opinions and suggestions that are provided. But you can’t fault their follow-up.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
You make a good point. I returned 4 2018 MacBook Pro laptops and did not receive a single email asking my opinion or experience with any of them.

I received 3 from Lenovo. 1 about 2 weeks after I received it, another after I returned it and a 3rd asking about my experience with the service call to arrange the return.

I can’t say how well they follow the opinions and suggestions that are provided. But you can’t fault their follow-up.

I think they want to improve. Good for customers!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I've gotten survey's from apple on occasion. Maybe its a random thing

It may be. I have gotten surveys from Apple, but never on a specific product I had purchased from them. They have mostly been on Apple Store Service Experiences after a visit to the Genious Bar. I may have gotten a generic market survey, it seems to me that I have.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
In the 3rd email, Lenovo specifically asked about my experience with their "first generation" X1E. Of course I wrote that the crazy noisy fans created too much stress for me.

Reactions: jrichards1408

hughw

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Bath/Bristol, UK
Any black Friday deals on this laptop in the UK space?

Yes, but not huge - it's back down to launch pricing unless you can get student discount or corporate perks discount, which puts it down to about £1300 for the base model. I've just pressed go on this spec:
- Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.10 GHz)
- Windows 10 Pro 64
- Windows 10 Pro 64 WE (EN/FR/DE/NL/IT)
- 15.6" 4K UHD Touch (3840 x 2160) IPS, 400nits, 100% Adobe color gamut, 10-bit
- 16GB(8+8) DDR4 2666MHz SODIMM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
- IR & 720p HD Camera with Microphone - no ThinkShutter
- ThinkPad Precision Backlit Keyboard Black English UK with Fingerprint Reader
- Fingerprint Reader
- Hardware dTPM
- 512GB Solid State Drive M.2 2280 NVMe, Opal
- 512GB
- 4 Cell Li-Cyllinder Internal Battery, 80Wh
- 135W AC Adapter (3pin) - Black - UK
- Intel Wireless-AC 9560 2x2 AC, Bluetooth Version 5.0 vPro
- RJ45 Extension Connector
- Publication - WE (FR/GE/IT/DU/EN)
- Thinkpad 3 Year On-site

for £1925 which is pretty good in my book

Reactions: jrichards1408
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.