Leo Laporte TWIT - iOS 7 Cotton Candy

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by OSMac, Jun 17, 2013.

1. OSMac, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

OSMac macrumors 65816

Was doing other things but I heard parts of yesterday's TWIT podcast...

Leo came down very hard on the 'Cotton Candy' appearance of iOS 7.
    The decline of Apple, new Mac Pro 'trashcan', etc.

Anyone hear it all, did they have good things to say?

2. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think a large part of that is the wallpaper Apple chose to use. I think they should use the space wallpaper for their marketing. I wonder why in Jony's video the space wallpaper was used, but everywhere else it's that other one.

3. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point, the demoed UI seemed unlikely to appeal to a wide audience .
    In the iOS 7 screenshot thread I've seen a number of images that looked much better as backgrounds.

With the negative press from those like Leo, its not helping Apple.
    He slammed the new Mac Pro as well as something no pro was asking for.

4. iphnhelp macrumors regular

Leo tends to have very strong opinions on things he doesn't fully understand or grasp completely yet. I think he'll eventually change his mind on the MacPro and maybe iOS 7, although being an android user I doubt he'll come around fully.

But bashing apple first seems to have taken the place of giving them the benefit of the doubt with comnintators (verge... Etc) these days. It's been interesting to observe.

Btw....his comments about Apple doesn't innovate anymore since Steve show just how little credibility he has lately. You really could almost say under Steve iOS atrophied and was more closed than ever. Only now are they starting to make improvements. It's the opposite- and a lazy, irresponsible opinion to take.

I still listen to twit but I know not to take the things Leo says seriously.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As a regular TWiT viewer this is 100% spot on.

6. Project macrumors 68020

I think he also said the move to Intel was the end of the Mac. Dvorak of all people argued the opposite.

7. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Hmmm... sounds strangely familiar... :p

8. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Leo is such a flake and a fraud and his Apple bashing is nothing new. Don't listen to him.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

10. iphnhelp macrumors regular

...and for the most part I like Leo, I like twit. I think it's the best produced podcasts out there, with the best guests, and I listen to the various shows all week. It's just that I know what kind of weight to give Leo's opinions. And it's good to have various points of view as long as you know where he's coming from.

11. sigamy macrumors 65816

Not to get too far off topic but I think Leo and others are more on the Android wagon these days to gain viewers/listeners.

I stopped listing to Twit over a year ago and haven't missed it at all. Very repetitious content, too many inside jokes and off topic "rat holes" and 20 minute book reviews aka Audible ads...

12. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68000

TheAppleFairy

I wouldn't say he's an idiot, he is kind of like a "jack of all trades" person. He knows a lot about different tech stuff, but he's not an expert at any of it.

He also seems to be a fair weather fan depending on the show he's doing.

I imagine back in the day he was ahead of the curve though.

I like his shows, but often he doesn't know the answers and has to use his chat room to help him out. (nothing wrong with that though).

13. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

He's old. He doesn't like change.

He's probably trying to figure out how to defrag his iPad's hard drive.

14. Sonnestah macrumors regular

15. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

16. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I listened to the podcast as well.
    I understand different people are entitled to their own opinions. So I don't really care if he thinks iOS 7 is 'cotton candy' or something.
    But when he decided to slam the Mac pro, 10 seconds later I couldn't take it. I can sense where the entire podcast is heading and the podcast is just plain anti-apple.
    Not that I'm an Apple Fanboy, but the Mac Pro does not deserve plain slamming. Especially the reasons he gave for slamming the Mac Pro is downright ridiculous. Apple put in new hardware (which by the way, is a total beast), and even threw in a complete new redesign. Not only that, the redesign actually made the Mac Pro have more utility than before. (handle to adjust the orientation, thermal core cooling system) So cool.

Even my Google-loving buddy was impressed by the Mac Pro.

17. jman240 macrumors 6502a

He's much better on What the Tech than TWiT IMO. Shorter episodes and better content. Mary Jo only knows about enterprise mostly and shes very boring to listen to.

Again, all IMO but if you like Thurrott he is much better and more relaxed, honest sounding on What the Tech. He tip toes around Leo's personality on TWiT way too much.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Considering how a lot of the empty white space and actual words/lables instead of buttons (just a few examples) that were fairly connected to Windows Phone design have now made it into iOS 7, it wouldn't seem as suprising really.

19. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I remember the days when he was hardcore apple.

20. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

21. .sky macrumors newbie

22. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

I enjoy his podcasts but it does get old hearing about how he never gets invited to apple events. Also, has he actually shown up and started a podcast on time in the past couple of years? He is normally 20 minutes late for MacBreakWeekly, making his guests wait on him to arrive.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Considering he used to do a radio show focusing on PCs, I don't disagree. I'm not a fan of the guy myself. I feel there are better people to listen to these days.

He really needs to **** about the Apple events. He ****ed up, it's his fault.

24. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Wallpaper and icons are the biggest issue and the easiest to fix.
    The rest is just minor "fit and finish" issues which are also relatively easy to fix.

The fundamentals of the OS are solid.

25. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I watched the podcast and they spent a long time later in the show talking about what they liked about iOS 7. I don't know why people here get their panties in a wad because Leo said the same thing many other people are saying. I guess if you say something negative, obviously you are a biased hater who must rot in hell (at least according to MR members).