Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Agree with Leo or not he really seems to have done well for himself with his net casts site. Im sure having a strong controversial opinion helps keep viewers.

Despite mocking the Pro he did say he would buy one as a HTPC ... because he is rich. Or something like that.

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
My issue with Leo Laporte and TWiT is not so much his and his guest constant jabs at anything Apple, it's more his constant bragging of new devices he bought or will buy. Just reminds me of someone who came into some new found money and is constantly trying to prove something or show off. It's quite distracting from the actual show. How many things can he "love" and have on pre-order? It's like he's giving the endorsement to EVERYTHING.
If I was their CFO, I'd worry about this guy's spending habits.

As for the Verge I will agree with others that there has been an anti-Apple tinge to their stories. I still think their coverage is one of the best out there and it's been cool following their rise to prominence. But I wish they would run less Google advertorials and be a bit more neutral in their reporting. It is a blog though so I guess opinions are woven in all the time.
But at the end of the day the it's "cool" to hate on Apple now and they know what generates hits...

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I watch Leo and TWiT pretty much everyday and have to agree with most people. He has some of the best guests, and best produced podcasts and that's largely why I still watch them. As for Leo he's good comic relief but he spends way too much time bragging about himself and making weird conflicting comments ten seconds after each other.

I think the worst part is just how unprepared he is for every show, he shows up 20 minutes late while his guests wait and you can tell that 90% of what comes out of his mouth is from reading the article for the first time. I think the quality would go up a lot if he gave up hosting so many shows, focused on a few, and actually knowing the content of those few shows.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Considering how a lot of the empty white space and actual words/lables instead of buttons (just a few examples) that were fairly connected to Windows Phone design have now made it into iOS 7, it wouldn't seem as suprising really.

People who couldn't let go of physical keyboards hated touchscreen phones. People who can't let go of buttons looking like buttons hate the new OS.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
...and for the most part I like Leo, I like twit. I think it's the best produced podcasts out there, with the best guests, and I listen to the various shows all week. It's just that I know what kind of weight to give Leo's opinions. And it's good to have various points of view as long as you know where he's coming from.

Really? It sounds like a cheap radio show to me.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Leo tends to have very strong opinions on things he doesn't fully understand or grasp completely yet. I think he'll eventually change his mind on the MacPro and maybe iOS 7, although being an android user I doubt he'll come around fully.

But bashing apple first seems to have taken the place of giving them the benefit of the doubt with comnintators (verge... Etc) these days. It's been interesting to observe.

Btw....his comments about Apple doesn't innovate anymore since Steve show just how little credibility he has lately. You really could almost say under Steve iOS atrophied and was more closed than ever. Only now are they starting to make improvements. It's the opposite- and a lazy, irresponsible opinion to take.

I still listen to twit but I know not to take the things Leo says seriously.
Good comments.

I don't listen/watch TWiT for Leo's opinions but rather the banter he and his guests have. That's where the really interesting and fun stuff is.

Ex. Alex Lindsay predicted this is what the Mac Pro would be when Thunderbolt came out last year. He wants it badly and is definitely a "pro."

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Gosh, that show is really irritating - that girl who presents it tries too hard to be quirky and funny, and is just... not.

I gave up after 3 mins.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People who couldn't let go of physical keyboards hated touchscreen phones. People who can't let go of buttons looking like buttons hate the new OS.
Yup, that's exactly the issue and a completely related analogy. Except that it's not.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Was doing other things but I heard parts of yesterday's TWIT podcast...

Leo came down very hard on the 'Cotton Candy' appearance of iOS 7.
The decline of Apple, new Mac Pro 'trashcan', etc.

Anyone hear it all, did they have good things to say?

Nope. Cause either Leo hates all things Apple or he pretends to for hits, either way his comments are never good or really useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.