Leonard Nimoy dies at 83

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mobilehaathi, Feb 27, 2015.

1. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

"I have been, and always shall be, your friend."

spock.png

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Probably the best character/actor combination the Star Trek franchise ever has or will produce.

Nimoy was a wonderful ambassador for critical thinking as well as creativity, and he will be greatly missed.

Live long, and prosper wherever you are, Mr Nimoy!

4. cube macrumors G5

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The Kirk quoting A Tale of Two Cities at the end of The Wrath of Khan seems appropriate here: "it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Sadness, he was such a sweet and caring person.

LLAP

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

His TV and movie role as Mr. Spock was of course wonderful, but I'll also remember him for so much other work: stage work, directing, other TV appearances including "Fringe", and his interests in photography, literature, and even singing. Have you heard "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins"? Did you know he was a pilot too?

I saw him in person a couple of years ago, where he read a story to the audience in his highly recognizable and memorable voice. I'm glad I had that chance.

He lived a good life and I think he deserves the praise he's getting for his place in history.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

14. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

He certainly was a great contributor to both the arts and sciences. If I may, I'll add that he helped (in a very large way) revamp the Griffith Park Observatory.

To Julie, Greg, Adam and the rest of the family - my condolences.

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Whatever you think of the Star Trek, Spock is an icon in science fiction and Spock's unique traits were a conduit for allowing science fiction to delve into subjects like the human condition.

I never met Mr. Nimoy; but in what I did hear of him (some from first hand accounts), he sounded like a well grounded and creative man. His passing is tempered by the truly ground breaking work he did with that one character.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Leonard Nimoy was more than Mr. Spock. He has a vast television and film resume.

17. Scepticalscribe, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just spotted this sad news on the BBC.

Well, I loved the original Star Trek series, - it really blew my mind as a child when I first saw it. And, my favourite character, then and now, was, of course, the inimitable Mr Spock, one of the most interesting, fascinating, intelligent and conflicted characters ever to grace television, let zone scifi.

Anyway, as a child, I revered him, and wanted to be like him; as Mr Spock - the role whig really defined him - he was what some of us who didn't even know we were nerds aspired to be. It is rare to see intelligence portrayed with such nuanced and positive flair, and Leonard Nimoy brought a thoughtful intelligence and creative sensitivity to almost every thing he did.

Leonard Nimoy was a talented and gifted individual, an excellent and thoughtful director (remember not just the Star Trek franchise movies he directed, but also 'Three Men and a Baby'?) as well as having been an exceptionally talented actor and decent human being.

We'll miss him; well, I certainly will. RIP and live long and prosper, Mr Spock.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

19. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Looking at his IMDB entry, I wonder if anyone clocked up appearances in more TV Western serials...

Starting off with Luke and the Tenderfoot (1955, and me neither) he went on to appear in Broken Arrow, Cimarron City, Mackenzie's Raiders, 26 Men, The Rough Riders, Colt .45, Tombstone Territory, Tate, Outlaws, The Rebel, Bonanza, The Tall Man, Tales of Wells Fargo, Rawhide, Two Faces West, Laramie, Wagon Train, Death Valley Days, The Virginian, A Man Called Shenandoah, Daniel Boone, and finally Gunsmoke in 1966.

20. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Saddened by this news

He was one of my favorite actors of all time :(

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

RIP

A true Iconic figure of TV history.

Live long and prosper.

He was the only member of that cast that I liked.

22. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

23. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have been watching all the Star Treks since they first aired. Liked all of the actors. But, he was the most talented by far.

24. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Oh my God, I think I'm going to cry! I'm speechless right now. I can't believe he's gone :(