Leopard a rip off outside US?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Roseyboy, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Roseyboy macrumors member

Maybe its just me, but why is the UK having to pay more for Leopard than are US friends?

Using the apple currency converter widget it should be:

$129.99 > £63.686

But apple want me to pay:

£85 > $173.494

Not so happy with that! anyone else agree or being ripped off in there part of the world.....?

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

Probably in part due to VAT, which doesn't exist in large parts of the U.S.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We've heard it all before:

US prices don't include sales tax, UK prices include VAT at 17.5%.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not really in Canada $129 -> C$126.27

They want C$129 -> $131.78

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't forget the VAT, sales tax is added afterwards in the US.

My parents got me an iPod while they were in California and there was 8% tax added to the list price shown on the US Apple Store.

It's still £10 more expensive, but at least it's £4 cheaper than Tiger.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

8. Roseyboy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that :)

And sorry to start a thread which seems like its contents has been talked about many times before, just when you look at it straight on your like "woah hang on"

9. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

try paying over £350 like those poor buggers who want vista ultimate.

10. Queso macrumors G4

That's good going. The cheapest I qualify for is £65 (this figure minus the VAT I can claim back) :)

Attached Files:

11. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

13. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Well it is $183.32 if you take the European Euro price. Not quite that bargain...

14. Matek macrumors 6502a

The VAT part is understandable, but weak dollar is not an argument to why things are actually MORE expensive in Europe, quite the opposite actually. If dollar is low, it means pounds/euros are worth more dollars, so the lower dollar, the bigger the price difference. If prices in Europe remain the same, we are actually paying more and more compared to USA.

For example - the Mac pro starts at $2500 in the USA. If we add 20% to that (VAT), we get a price of $3000, while in Europe the Mac Pro starts at 2520 euros, that's almost $3600!

Most of the prices are more or less exactly the same here, except with the currency changed from USD to EUR. 100 euros is currently worth a little over 140 dollars, which in the end gives us 40% higher prices on this side of the Atlantic. How can you say that's just VAT?

(check out www.apple.com VS. www.apple.de and use google to convert USD to EUR if you think i'm making this up)

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

So the difference is about US $13, after tax is taken into consideration.

Lattes, on the other hand, are about double the price in London. Maybe you should be complaining to Starbucks.

16. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

Yeah, but if they lower the price, then the dollar goes back up, one of two things happen:
    1) The Americans get pissed off.
    2) They raise the price. Everyone gets pissed off.

17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

The Euro is at around $1.40 right now, keeping the same prices is ridiculous and is pissing entire Europe off.

18. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

what i meant was that with the weak dollar it looks like the difference is really big, but actually its almost the same, i know what you're saying, i believe, i my own also live in Belgium.

19. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Canada is on par with the US :D

I know our dollar is doing better then the USD right now but to be on par is a big step. Every other place is still not even at par and they are just ripping us off

Thanks Apple for not ripping off Canada!

The Stig

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its £129 for the family pack, which I'll end up getting...expensive, but definitely worth it...

21. Matek macrumors 6502a

So your point is that they shouldn't lower the prices now, just because dollar might go up in the future and European custumers would be pissed off about prices going back to the current level? Instead, it's better to keep prices the same and make people actually pay MORE, just so that they don't have to suffer the psychological effect of "prices going (back) up".

Errr? What do you mean it "looks like" the difference is really big? Either I'm missing something or you are, but I'm pretty sure that we are paying more and more to Apple. Most of their expenses are defined in dollars (salaries, production costs, etc.) so they still pay the same for everything (and their products cost the same in USA), while we pay more to them.

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well here comes the precursor "Whining" threads for when Leopard finally drops.
    Boy there's gonna be a crapload of them once its in consumer's hands. Let's all try to remember one thing once you get your copy of Leopard:

Any urge to moan or whine, bite your lip and Smile instead!

23. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Because americans still have to pay VAT, but probably i'm missing something :p i probably don't know alot about this :p

24. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

There is a saying in Germany, "those who don't have a clue should just shut up". :p

Seriously though, Europe is paying Apple insane amounts of money right now considering the exchange rates. And this has nothing to do with VAT.