Leopard and CS3. So what's it really like?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Now people are getting their hands on Leopard I was wondering if anyone could put my mind at ease regarding the performance of CS3 on Leopard.

I have pre-ordered Leopard and I am itching to install it but I have a few big freelance jobs on the go and if CS3 doesn't work I am unfortunately going to have to hold off installing Leopard.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I'm in the exact same boat. I'm glad I saw this thread before I started my own. If anyone could update us on the performance of CS3 once they install Leopard it would be much appreciated.

Comment

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Ok so I have Leopard in my hand right now. Does anyone want to answer the question regarding CS3?

PLEASE!!!!

Comment

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Ok so I have Leopard in my hand right now. Does anyone want to answer the question regarding CS3?

PLEASE!!!!
Mutlimedia claims to have spoken to Adobe support yesterday, and they told him it would work just fine, even with an archive and install. You might want to call Adobe yourself to verify, but I expect that Multi is being straight up.

I can tell you in about 6 hours what my own experience is. :)

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I installed CS3 on Leopard last night. For some reason Fireworks didn't go on the first time although everything else did. So I ran setup again and selected Fireworks then it went on fine.

Everything runs and installs no problem.

Comment

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Mutlimedia claims to have spoken to Adobe support yesterday, and they told him it would work just fine, even with an archive and install. You might want to call Adobe yourself to verify, but I expect that Multi is being straight up.

I can tell you in about 6 hours what my own experience is. :)
Yeh. Multimedia is a straight up guy. We audio chatted about ripping movies a while back and he knows what he's talking about.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I've tested PS extended CS3 on 10.5. works great. load time is about 1-2s faster than 10.4 on my specs. Opens > 2000 pixel Leopard Server background image in about 20s when not in cache. loads same image in 5s when in cache.

screenshot for anyone interested in how PS looks in leopard

Comment

Nayrb

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
Virginia
I'm having some issues with Photoshop. Runs fine and all but then I go to save and Crash.

Maybe I overlooked something, any ideas?

Attachments

Comment

Marilyn

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
So far...

I've found that CS3 runs a LOT faster using Leopard. I haven't encountered any issues at all and I'm a pretty heavy user of the hogs (Photoshop, InDesign)

The only issue I had with the upgrade something with the mail client, but that was my ISP's issue and not the OS. (It happened when I upgraded to Tiger too)

So far, so good! (keeping fingers crossed) :apple:

Comment

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I'm having some issues with Photoshop. Runs fine and all but then I go to save and Crash.

can you post the crash report? may be something to do with the files and folders that the adobe open/save dialogue needs but it cant find them or their corrupted. a reinstall may be in order

Comment

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
17 bounces - first ever open

8 bounces - second open

Seems like safari... snappier :)

Comment

jonG

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007

I was having the same problem about 2 weeks ago running on Tiger on a PPc iMac. It was after the adobe update which I did right in the middle of a big freelance job(still kicking myself). It screwed everything up. i had every app in CS3 design standard crashing as soon as I tried to save anything or try and relink links in INDD. In had to do a clean sweep and complete reinstall and it fixed everything. I have no idea why the Adobe update would cause this....any answers. Kinda scary. Now I may have to wait for leopard as i just bought CS3 production pro and need to use it now.

Comment

hessdesigns

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
By any chance has anybody tried using After Effects? It's listed as one of the programs that "may not fully function" under Leopard. What does this actually mean? It won't work at all, or it will work, but maybe some random tool or action makes it crash? Anybody tried it yet?

Comment

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Photoshop CS3 runs grand on Leopard but InDesign CS3 won't run at all ..... :eek:

I reinstalled Quark 6.5, no problems there .. :)

Comment

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Photoshop CS3 runs grand on Leopard but InDesign CS3 won't run at all ..... :eek:

I reinstalled Quark 6.5, no problems there .. :)
InDesign CS3 runs fine in Leopard, as does Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Bridge,Flash and Quark XPress 7.3. I am not seeing the problems with Acrobat Pro that was announced by Adobe.

Comment

Colin Hoernig

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Northwest Indiana
By any chance has anybody tried using After Effects? It's listed as one of the programs that "may not fully function" under Leopard. What does this actually mean? It won't work at all, or it will work, but maybe some random tool or action makes it crash? Anybody tried it yet?
I use After Effects extensively and so far everything has run great. Seems a tad bit faster than on 10.4, also.

I had no problems at all installing Master Collection CS3, I've used Dreamweaver, PS, Illustrator, and After Effects extensively so far, and they seem to run perfect, haven't had any crashes and they all seem to run faster.

@ jerryrock: I am experiencing the same, no problems with Acrobat Pro here!

Comment

flrazor

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Saint Paul, MN
I can't seem to figure out how to add the acrobat PDF printer to my printers. Gonna have to look further for a fix... :(

Anyone? :)
I believe this was described as one of the problems that Adobe said they had to fix, something about the Apple print-to-PDF driver not getting along with the Adobe drivers after installing Leopard. If I can find a direct link to this information I will post it here. Adobe listed the fix for Acrobat as coming in January with the next update release cycle.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.