Leopard and G4 processor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dentedG4, Jun 18, 2007.

1. dentedG4 macrumors member

I have an original 12 inch g4 powerbook (866 w/ 1.12 gb). Will my powerbook support all of the new features of leopard and what effect on performance will the upgrade have? I am concerned that being 32 bit and a slower processor, my G4 will have a hard time keeping up.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The eye candy will be noticeably slower, but overall you shouldn't be worried about the G4. And the 32 bit thing is not an issue, its not 32 or 64, its 32 and 64, so don't sweat it.

Plenty of RAM will be about all you can do to make sure it is as smooth as possible.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Because they have a more unified computer base (Apple only makes the OS for Apple computers) the OS will work much better with older hardware. G4s will be officially supported by Apple in Leopard. Don't worry, you won't get left behind, yet.

4. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

G3s are the only processors that aren't being supported. G4s and G5s are fine. You won't get some of the added bonuses, as others have stated, but you shouldn't have any problems.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Your 867MHz PowerBook G4 should be fine for running Leopard. :)

6. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

how about my 1.33ghz G4 iBook with 1gig of ram? I think i should be ok. It was the very last iBook revision before the MacBook came out and made my poor 12" baby look like poopy.

7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

i got the same but with 1.5GB of RAM, Will the GPU run all the eye candy?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Should be fine. G4 + firewire is the minimum spec.

9. otis123 macrumors 6502a

i read on apple's website that even G3s are supported, but that was a wile ago

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The WWDC beta says the following:

• an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor
    • a DVD drive
    • built-in FireWire
    • at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)
    • a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
    • at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/13/first-hand-with-leopard-9a466/

11. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

6gigs??? I hope that comes down when it ships. I only have an 80gig HD, i need all the space I can get!

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

G3's will run leopard, but at a snails pace.

It will work, but you're advised not too.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

How do you know this?

14. otis123 macrumors 6502a

is that 6gigs on top of tiger? or does it uninstall tiger?

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would read that as 6gigs of free space, just to be safe. It will probably take that much including Tiger when it has finished installing.

16. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Unlike Vista that comes in "upgrade versions," leopard i think will only replace the system files it needs to change and then leave all your existing files intact. I know it does this if you reinstall Tiger so why wouldn't it do the same with a new OS? Tiger is the only Mac OS ive been around for so I dont know how this upgrading to a new OS really goes. How did it work when Tiger came out? Was it a complete clean install or did you get to keep your files and just replace the underlining system?

17. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

That 6 gig install size is basic install ... no iLife etc installed.. if you take out fonts/printer drivers/languages then you can get it under 4 gigs

18. Bananac macrumors member

What can i expect by this G4 Power Mac 667Mhz and 1Gb ram?

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It will not run probably, as the minimum specs are above that...

20. projectle macrumors 6502

Last I have seen, it looks like the minimum specs are 800 MHz or greater.

While it "should" run, that figure seems more related to the capabilities of the graphics cards in Macs with less than an 800MHz G4 processor.

CoreAnimation does take a "bit" of resources to run properly, and Leopard is heavily reliant on CoreAnimation.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In reality, anything with less than a 64MB VRAM and/or older GPUs, will likely have some problems with some of the eye candy.

Likely some of the filters and such will turn themselves off like they did for Panther and Tiger (where a couple/few filters-features would be unusable for some older systems.)

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Fine

Dude, it will be fine. Not great, but fine. You certainly won't have the eye candy.

23. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Early after MMSF, there was a dev running it on his 450 MHz cube. Claimed it was faster than Tiger, and that was an early build. Might have to install via FW from a faster Mac though.

24. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I hope this will work for the release version. I picked up a Cube just like that one, and I think it would be mean to leave it behind when the other Macs get a shiny new OS. :)

Not that it matters really, the Cube is running headless and with a bluetooth phone for controlling iTunes as the only input device. But still, a family pack is a family pack..

25. Bananac macrumors member

Then its time to upgrade to iMac or MacBook Pro.