Leopard - As of today - April 27, 2008

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sdahe, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well guys...

It's April 27, 2008 and Leopard has been out for some time now. What can you say about it. What is your feedback?....

:apple:

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's good. Well, today it's good, yesterday it was rubbish.

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It's got tons of upsides, but still has a few downsides. It's totally worth upgrading to, however, if you haven't felt the strong desire to upgrade yet then you might as well hang out for another couple of months until they release 10.5.3. That way they'll have ironed out another bunch of the downsides and the copy you buy will probably come with 10.5.3 on the disc as opposed to if you buy it off the shelf today and from what I've heard it will probably have 10.5.0 on it and you'll have to update online to get up to 10.5.2.

4. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I had to go back to Tiger because incompatibility with Nikon Capture NX... Now that it's fixe I might return to Leopard again... still thinking about it

Any new updates to Leopard that makes it better...?

5. iFizz macrumors regular

Dunno, still haven't upgraded from Tiger. Wasn't keen on the idea of being an OS beta tester.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Boxed copies should come with 10.5.1 on it. They moved all the boxed copies over to it almost immediately after the .1 update was released. I find it strange that they haven't done it with 10.5.2 considering how big an update it was. They must be waiting for 10.5.3

7. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well I got Leopard when it came out so the CD that I have is version 10.5.0

I will have to download the updates!!!

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's OK. I would downgrade to Tiger just for the speed boost, but I don't have the money to buy Tiger. All in all, Leopard is OK, but there's far too much eye candy IMO.

9. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Yeap.... the computer runs more smoothly than with Leopard. At least the Dock animations is so smooth in Tiger. When I changed to Apple one of the things that made me love the Mac was the dock animation... it looked so nice... it was like love at first sight!!!!

10. Hatchet macrumors regular

It's amazing to me. But then again, I just left Windows for OSX yesterday! :)

11. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Wait, you bought a leopard install disc, but you haven't installed it? Why did you buy it back then if you didn't intend on installing it? And what exactly has kept you from installing it before now?

12. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I like it and think it is now much more stable, yes there are a few things still to be resolved, but it is still way a great OS.

13. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

No wait... I did install it. I had to go back to Tiger after because incompatibility with Nikon Capture NX but now I saw that is fixed and I'm thinking to install Leopard again...

14. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Can someone tell me how to backup my mail emails so I can use them when I install Leopard... Thanks

15. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

When you upgrade to leopard, nothing in your user account is lost. If you want a backup just to be certain, which is a good idea, I believe I heard that the leopard installer allows you to do a time machine backup on your 10.4 tiger machine right before it installs leopard.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

only if you dont erase and install. if you archive and install you will be fine

i dunno about your last sentence though

17. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

18. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Leopard is great. I had it when it was 10.5.1. I went to back to Tiger 2 weeks later because of too many "minor inconveniences." 2 weeks after I was back on Tiger, 10.5.2 came out, so I tried Leopard again. I have since been using it for almost 2 months now. It's very good.

There are things I still liked about Tiger, though. The new features in Leopard make it worth the upgrade, though. I love the Time Machine. I love the calculator and dictionary built into Spotlight. I love Spaces (even though it's inferior to Linux's Workspaces). I love being able to F around with my Dock (3rd party software). I love how it's faster all around. And I love the little things like iCal's Dock icon showing the actual date, even when it's closed.

I kinda miss Tiger's Sidebar, though; I think Tiger's was much superior.

19. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Superior in what?

20. iFizz macrumors regular

Leo & Vista: Similarities

I already posted above, but I'm back with comments about the interesting relationship between Leo and Vista.
    They both were released before they were finished.
    They both did not deliver all the features that were promised.
    They both have been slow to get people to upgrade to them.
    They both have improved with updates.
    At least Apple didn't take 5 years to release Leo... :p

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not true. Leopard has had the fastest uptake rate of any version of Mac OS X yet.

22. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I bought mine online in December and it had 10.5.1 on it.

Actually, Apple didn't promise the features that are missing (Like being able to create a stack out of a selection of files). It said clearly on the Apple website that "All subject liable to change". That's not promising us features :p

They're hardly going to get worse :p

Anyway, personally, I feel that Leopard is great. If I went back to Tiger, I wouldn't be able to stand it. I've grown accustomed to how I work with Leopard (using spaces, etc.) and the various features of individual Apps, like Safari and Mail. Plus some of my apps are Leopard only... But, Tiger was marginally faster because it had less to run. I don't have a problem with this. I'm only using 1GB RAM and instead of down grading to tiger, I would upgrade my RAM so that I could run Leopard smoothly :p

I would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't need an older OS for an application they need. Most of the bugs have been ironed out.

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Cassie, it's amazing you mentioned about Leopard having too much eye candy and you use pink text and your forum pic it a girly heart icon. :D

24. QFT Lover macrumors newbie

Ha, ha, that was hilarious. And true.

I just installed Leopard and it's good enough. I've only had time to enjoy/loathe minor details:
    LOVE
    - Scrolling of non-focused windows
    - Speed of spotlight and not having to press down to select first result
    - New screensavers
    LOATHE
    - Non-scrolling of non-focused Firefox (Safari works, but firefox... is firefox)
    - Dashboard is more often choppy than before
    - Desktop manager is better than Spaces

In general I don't mind it, but I would not install it unless you have some feature that you need or a few hours to kill (I wonder why I installed it if I'm not in either category though...)

25. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hey guys.... help me here please!... How can I backup mi emails from mail so I can use them when I install Leopard again!!!

Thanks