Leopard - can i dual boot it and Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jblack4083, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

The title says it all. I have the Beta copy of Leopard, can i dual boot it and Tiger or does it have to be one or the other. I would like to try out Leopard but I would also like to keep Tiger.

Oh yeah i don't even have a Mac, this is for when i get it next week.

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

3. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Install the beta on a firewire drive and boot off of that.

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Well since you don't have a Mac, and you're getting a brand new one next week, would you really want to risk damaging it with a BETA OS?

5. gillilandboy macrumors 6502

Why does it matter if he did or not?

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

because then it would be illegal for him to use it and it is against the rules on these forums to discuss illegal activity.

7. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

seeing as you have to be a developer to get hold of one... which you can pay for to be one... I think it matters a fair bit.

8. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

why firewire. I have a regular external but i guess since you specified firewire there probably a reason why you (darkcurse) did. Also do i have to do it that way or can I make a partition on the internal HD for it?

9. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Because macs can only boot Mac OSX from an external firewire drive. Its much better that way. I'm not sure if you can dual boot tiger and leopard off of the internal drive but I would recommend installing the leopard beta on the external.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just curious: You are paying $500 a year for a developer account, and you don't have a Macintosh? :eek:

11. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Isn't the student rate lower... or does that not come with Leopard ?

12. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You could do that, however I don't know of anything other than Boot Camp that'd let you do it, while running the machine, however that's fine as you'd just change the file system afterwards anyway.

So run Boot Camp and then install onto that partition, and you'll probably need to format the partition to something useful. Try ZFS :p

13. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I'm with darkcurse. If you're going to do it, install it on an external.

14. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I agree too, you want to install it on a external.

BTW he surly is not a developer if he has to ask on how / where to install it :rolleyes:

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this thread is a bit crazy but okay:

1. you can wipe the machine when you get it and partition it before re-installing or use bootcamp to make another partition to install it on.
    2. you can install on an external. USB 2.0 or FW if its an intel based Mac, if it has a PowerPC processor FW only. although FW is recommended in either case because of better transfer rates overall.
    3. if you don't have a machine. and you haven't obtained Leopard legally all discussion should stop. its Beta, open only to devs and illegal activity isn't discussed on these forums.

16. Avaritia macrumors newbie

Loading Leopard, and even Tiger onto a non Apple computer can be done, but no one here will assist you with that since it goes against the EULA, and it requires specific software and hardware.

Leopard, and Tiger are designed to work with EFI which isn't generally used on most system as they tend to use CMOS so on a PC Tiger/Leopard wouldn't be able to interface with the hardware of the computer. To complicate matters, Apple doesn't use a standard EFI, but a customer one for their computers.

So, you are out of luck until you get a Mac.

17. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If it's possible for a user here to have a legitimate copy of the Leopard Beta, there's no reason to stop the conversation. We shouldn't have to grill everyone anytime they might be doing something illegal. If there's a legitimate reason to have it, it's not our concern.

Should we ask people everytime they have an application question how they obtained the software and if they have a legal copy?

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm closing this.

I find it extraordinarily unlikely that someone posting from the East Coast would have a legitimate copy of the just-released-hours-ago-beta and furthermore would have paid the $500 or more to become a developer and yet would not yet have a Mac.

The OP can PM me if there is proof to the contrary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.