Leopard copy and paste?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Blown284, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Blown284 macrumors newbie

I used to be able to copy and paste easily with pre-leopard. What happened and does anyone have a work-around? I'm frustrated as heck right now.........

Thanks.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

What do you mean, is copy and paste not working with keyboard shortcuts and/or with right click and/or with Edit menu?

3. Blown284 thread starter macrumors newbie

Try it....... simple copy and paste (apple key + C and apple key + V) doesn't work ... for me at least. Or via edit menu :(

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Are you an X11 user? I ask because there's an issue with Leopard's X11 implementation where middle mouse button emulation just doesn't work, so you can't paste in X11 windows on a Trackpad/one button mouse using option-click. There is currently no fix (other than installing Tiger's X11).

If you're not an X11 user, ignore the about. All other copy&paste works fine on Leopard for me.

5. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Copy and Paste has been working fine for me. I wish Apple would implement Cut support for moving files though.

6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

No no no no no!!!!

Stop thinking like a Windows user. Cut makes no sense for files. ;)

7. keyinsolutions macrumors newbie

Having the same problem with copy and paste!!!

I upgraded to leopard and and cannot copy and paste (apple C and V) text as easily. It will let me select text and drag it, but then its not formatted.....Not really having good experience with upgrade....Any advice would be great.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Drag and hold down COMMAND key.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How is this any different from just dragging?

10. dan8, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

dan8 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem with cutting and pasting files and it is very annoying/frustrating. I don't like dragging and dropping when I have to navigate through a whole bunch of folders. It opens new windows, files get dropped in the wrong place, you have to hold the buttons while navigating, etc.

I have looked for some work-arounds to bolt on to mac to achieve this function "cut/paste" file, but I can't get it to work. I can easily *copy* a file cmd+c or use the context menu, but if I want to move a file I have to 1) copy it, 2) navigate to my destination, 3) paste it, then 4) navigate back to my original file, 5) delete the file, 6) navigate back to my destination. Depending on the number of folders I had to navigate through, this increases time spent doing this considerably. Is there a keystroke that will move a file? cmd+m minimizes the window. how about shift+cmd+x or just cmd+x? It is not clear to me why something like this basic function is not easily available or apparent. :mad:

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is a long thread somewhere around here about cut/paste files
    The bottom line is that it is not supported in OS X

There are some 3rd party solutions and some AppleScript workarounds, but it cannot be done natively in the OS

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Since no one ever actually answered this question, copying a file using the command key simply moves the file instead of copying it. Obviously, if you're moving files around from one place to another on your internal drive it makes no difference. But if you're moving a file from your internal drive to an external drive that you no longer want on your internal drive, it moves it instead of copying it. For some reason, the transfer goes faster as well.