Leopard: Do you need it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeKiD, Oct 18, 2007.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

I know it will be a very cool OSX and all. I wanna have it on my next Mac Pro but besides the fancy new features I wanted to know if the OS has promises to increase the computer in any technical way? At least, on the new Intel macs. From what I understand, Intel computers will be able to fully appreciate the new OS since some features will be more shaky for everything under Mac Pro (G5,G4... Nothing for G3?)

Why will you guys need it for?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I don't need it per se, but then again, I really don't need a MacBook, and I don't need a Fender bass

I just lust after it :D

3. Braby macrumors member

I don't necessarily need it, per se but it looks great and I like the sound of it. I will definitely be getting it.

4. Braby macrumors member

We'll we basically typed the same exact thing, but I was a bit slow on it.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, I need it.

I want to be able to code in ObjC 2.0, ObjC is nice but it certainly needs some revision, and there is a lot of room left for improvement. As for the other Leopard features, most features I want are under-the-hood. Sure, I like the new look of the Finder and all, but the most notable change will be a full Cocoa integrated finder (no hickups, 2-second lockups, no delays, full Finder support for multiple processors), and many changes in OpenGL (multithreaded OpenGL). Plus, a lot of other things that we don't know yet.

6. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Don't need it, buy want it!!! So will be picking up a copy on the 26th at 6PM. Will even be staying at work late on a friday so I can just walk over to the Apple store...

7. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Yes, I need the new Finder. It's the only reason I'm going for Leopard, anyways.

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

10.4 = 32bit

10.5 = 64bit

Mac Pro = 64bit

easy math:D

9. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Well said mind you I think you need an Intel Core Duo "2" as I dont think the original chip is fully 64 bit. Correct me if I am wrong:confused:

10. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

The Mac Pros are all 64 bit

11. BKKbill macrumors 6502

BKKbill

No need but absolutely must have or the iMac I'm picking up at the end of the month will just be a beautiful aluminium shiny screen brick. :p

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

But the MacPros don't use Core Duo chips. ;) But they do use these: 64-bit Dual-Core Intel Xeon :cool::cool:

I can't wait for Leopard!

13. Queso macrumors G4

True. The original Core Duos are only 32-bit, as are the pre-Santa Rosa Intel chipsets as found in the current MacBooks (even though they have the 64-bit Core 2 Duo processors).

However, the MacPros have been fully 64-bit from the word go since they are based on Intel's server technology.

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes they do, and that's another reason why i need it! :apple:

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No need over here, but plenty worth the £6 for the uptodate disk :)

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I need it... I need

(1) Time Machine, not adding anything to the computer per se, but will make it easier for me to backup my gigs and gigs of media files.

(2) Spaces, I need to put my work in this window, my personal life in the other, and my games and junk in the other. I think Spaces will be one feature that is more like Expose. Some will hate it and some will love it and utilize it in everything they do, then won't be able to live without it.

(3) 64 Bit on my next MacBook Pro and MacPro, if the MacBook Pros don't get a serious update by February I will be a bit under the weather about getting a older SR MacBook Pro, but if the Mac Pro doesn't get one by November or December than I don't know what to say.

(4) Stacks, I have plenty of files to access at any given time.

(5) New Mail and Finder, both needed a refresh.

I need Leopard!

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't need it, but I do want it. I just like playing with new things.

Keen to see how it performs on my hardware which is getting on a bit now too: PowerBook 1.5Ghz G4, iMac G5 1.8Ghz, and my dads Power Mac dual 1Ghz G4.

18. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

For myself, I am much more anxious for the arrival of the Mac Pro Updated fleet that will use that new OS.

19. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

20. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

64-bit processor, 64-bit chipset. You do the math. :)

21. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

nobody needs Leopard, just like nobody needs anything better than 10.1

it's just that it has so many features that people want it

and me? i want the 64-bit

22. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Puma was terrible, I would argue that no one needs anything more than os 9/jaguar.

23. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

With this release of OS X the transition to Intel will be complete. Tiger worked (technically), but it was never optimised for the hardware. Now at last we get to see what these new machines can do... :D

On top of that there are a few new features that would still make it a worthwhile upgrade.

24. mashinhead macrumors 68020

nobody needs anything but food, shelter, clothing, and medicine. Everything else is a luxury. as for leopard i think that spaces would be a useful feature that can make working very productive. the same way expose was.

I'm not impressed with the finder though, except for the full document previews. It just seems like a thousand ways to do the same thing. A lot of the features seem to be fluff rather than useful, like the stationary in mail, eh. in that sense there i think most of the feature's really aren't useful, in that sense it isn't necessary. but i think if you have a 64 bit machine, and also using spaces those two features are worth it.

25. cell-gfx macrumors member

Yes. I Need. It.
    I. Must. Have. It.
    Steve. Tells. Me. I. Must. Have. It...

(I blame the Apple hypnosis machine. Just check that trippy background in Time Machine - if that's not packed with subliminal messages about buying new iMacs and iPhones, I don't know what is!)