Leopard - Front Row 2 - No wireless music!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Modular1, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Modular1 macrumors newbie

Modular1

i can't believe they have missed this out.

starting front row cuts off the audio in itunes and the audio then comes only from the laptop speakers.

no wireless in the new front row then. :mad:

this essentially makes front row 2 useless to me. :(

it worked in front row 1 so i find this upgrade unforgiveable.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Crap, I didn't think of that! The reason it isn't working is because FR2 doesn't use iTunes to play the music. It's using Leopard's media browsing core. I agree, Apple really needs to add AirTunes support.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

That is absolutely lame... I am an avid user of streaming my tunes over my airport express.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

i almost bought an airport express just to do this...now I'm glad I didn't give apple my money...lame-o

5. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

AirTunes could be so much more than it is. Really so much more.
    It should have full front row support (ie. able to listen to music, and to films over the air to speakers). Same goes for support for DVD player, and even system sounds, though i could see synchronization being a problem for system sounds, but not for media playback. AirTunes should also be implemented in iPhone and iPod Touch for wireless playback from the home. It should be an open system resource that any developer can chose as an audio output. (/Rant) :rolleyes:

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I sent an email to Apple about this and told them it was really a step backwards that I can no longer use Front Row to run music to my home sound system. I hate it when they take away great features. The new Front Row is a step backwards in my eyes until they fix this issue.

7. John01021988 macrumors 6502

dont mail Apple, mail Steve Jobs! Seriously, you will get a better answer from one of his assistants rather than some X guy or even a computer autoreplying "Our engineers are working hard to fix this issue, we will contact you when the issue gets resolved"

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

God sake.

That is a key feature I love to use. Doesn't Apple use their heads when they compare what features Tiger had and what features Leopard has?

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Stacks
    Dock
    Folder Icons
    "Unified Interface"

No one hand is not talking to the other necessarily.

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I was meaning useful features in Tiger that seem to have been dropped in Leopard.

11. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Regarding the issue where Front Row stops playing iTunes music when you launch it (if only they kept that fly-away desktop transition...), that shouldn't be hard to fix.

I read in an above post that it no longer uses iTunes to play the music, but some kind of media core?

It shouldn't be hard for them to program some code that look at iTunes if it's running, gets what song is playing, what time index it's at, and then have Front Row play the song starting from that point. Hopefully they can get it without an audible pause between the switch, but even if there's a slight pause, it's better than having to go through all the menus to get that song again. Then, of course, once you exit Front Row, if iTunes was open before you opened Front Row, it sends the song info to iTunes, so iTunes takes over playing whatever song is on at the time. This could also be a setting somewhere, whether you want it to do that or not.

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I don't see why they dropped iTunes in the first place from Front Row.

It is probably one of their greatest creations. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

13. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

well I guess I am going to have to use my Mac remote in iTunes then :(

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Same here, but at a distance it is nice to see what you are playing when you use your computer as a entertainment center media player. Maybe Apple is trying to force us to buy an Apple TV if we want wireless music. I can't see any other reason they would take this functionality away.

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Can you not use AirFoil to achieve the same thing? I know it's not free, but it may be your only alternative (other than going back to Tiger).

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Just an update, an AirFoil beta has been released that supports Leopard. However, it doesn't work with Front Row as of now.

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Bummer, I didn't really delve into leopards front row yet. It sucks!

I already miss the old transitions, sounds, and the fact music kept playing, and you had the "now playing" screen.

Where is the added value to this front row? Its UI doesn't seem as clean to me, which is what sold me on the previous version.

Also, random FYI, if you have the desksaver plus widget (which I do), and it's running, you can no longer launch front row. (the screen just blacks out for a second, and comes back to your desktop) I have to manually stop desksaver plus before I can play front row - which kinda defeats the purpose of the IR interface entirely. Before it would just launch, regardless of pretty much anything going on. I must be getting old, because I don't like this change. :D

17. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I will almost bet, that they will get this fixed asap! Unless there's a good reason not to? (none i can think of!)

18. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If Front Row 2 doesn't use iTunes, how are they going to implement it? I guess by adding some type of plug-in to the actual Front Row application?

19. xenotaku macrumors regular

20. xenotaku macrumors regular

i cant believe more people are not bitching about this. maybe we are in the minority that used frontrow for music on our speakers.

21. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well the only reason that they would do this on purpose is to encourage people to buy an Apple TV to use the Front Row application wirelessly.

Anyhow I hope it is just something that they did not get to because of time restraints on the October launch and Front Row will offer an AirTunes option in the next upgrade.

22. gilgalad101 macrumors newbie

gilgalad101

I too am thoroughly disappointed with the "upgraded" front row. I was very happy with it in tiger, but now i hate the music stops when you start it up and it seems rather sluggish sometimes as well. Maybe I should have waited before I upgraded to leopard.

23. vincentf macrumors newbie

No Audible support

There doesn't appear to be support for Audible audiobooks in the upgraded Front Row either. This was fixed with version 1.2, but I can't get it to work in this version. Anyone get this working?

24. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Possibly because Front Row 2.0 is basically just a copy and paste from the old AppleTV system software, and AppleTV dosent use iTunes.

25. vincentf macrumors newbie

AppleTV does us iTunes. It also uses iTunes for streaming and syncing content. If it isn't in iTunes, you can't view it on AppleTV.