Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
My status has changed:

Prepared for Shipment <~~Note
Product / Part No.
Qty

MAC OS X 10.5 RETAIL-INT
MB021Z/A

Ships by: DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH

I think the Retail Orders have a higher priority than the Up-to-date ones and that is why they've got "shipping on october 26" while the retails have "delivers on october 26"

kermit4161

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
I'm psyc'd... I had originally ordered through Amazon, but even with 2 day shipping, I wouldn't get it until the 30th...

Then it hit me, cancel with Amazon, and order through Apple with my student discount and have it on the 26th :D

Paying sales tax (and no shipping) bumped up what I was paying to Amazon by a whole $3... and I get it 4 days earlier!!

Now if I could snag a t-shirt....

annexw

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2006
I have confirmed with Apple employees and higher ups at Apple corporate, as well as business reps at two stores. No drop ins.

Seconded.

My Apple Rep says the same, no drop ins due to poor regulation last time and cost-over head. We are being advised to include the cost of the upgrade and fill out the "up-to-date" form for them.

We're looking into returning our closed box inventory and re-ordering after the 26th to avoid all the paper-work hassle.

rusher

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
Seconded.

My Apple Rep says the same, no drop ins due to poor regulation last time and cost-over head. We are being advised to include the cost of the upgrade and fill out the "up-to-date" form for them.

We're looking into returning our closed box inventory and re-ordering after the 26th to avoid all the paper-work hassle.

Fair enough then-I guess apple Canada might have it sorted out cause they definitely said they would have a leopard dvd in the box at 6pm. I hope for my sake they do!!!

spishack

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2003
Thanks

Seconded.

Thanks for the second. Glad someone else agreed.

RE: Canada being a different policy--I sincerely doubt it. If you get a Mac on the 26th with Leopard, please do let us know. But I have 100% confirmation in the US that there will not be drop-ins, so I don't think the Canada policy would be any different...

annexw

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2006
No worries, spishack. :) Its straight from my reps email.

If you get a Mac on the 26th with Leopard, please do let us know.

Yes please, as if they are doing it from some stores and not mine, I'll be forced to raise holy hell with my rep.

I would be surprised to see a different policy from Canada to the USA, but it wouldn't be the first time I suspect.

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
I decided to order Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (Family Pack) from Apple, because I don't want to wait for hours in line just for a t-shirt. I am going to be backing up my data all Friday morning until it arrives via FedEx. FedEx always gets to my door before noon, so I will have it six hours earlier than I would if I went to wait in line at the Apple Store.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Yeah, that makes sense for the bulk of the applications that make up the OS. Again, I am comfortable with the concept of Universal Applications in general.

But the computer geek inside me is wondering, though, exactly what mechanism is used to actually boot off the DVD when you first insert it in the drive? I mean, some Macs are running OpenFirmware on PPC CPUs, and others are running EFI on Intel CPUs.

How, with a single boot sector on most removable media, is the computer going to decide which code set (PPC or Intel) to load in those first few nanoseconds without the benefit of knowing what a Universal Binary is? (Or are OpenFirmware/EFI themselves already aware of the concept of fat binaries?)

I'm sure there's a reasonable answer out there, and it's driving me crazy that I can't think of it. I'm just hoping someone out there will be kind enough to educate me.

OpenFirmware/EFI do not load the kernel directly. Instead, they load and launch the bootloader (there are two in OS X... BootX for OpenFirmware, and boot.efi for EFI). These know enough to be able to load the kernel for their platform (and can be made aware of fat binaries without changes to the firmware).

And it isn't like fat binaries are magic or anything like that, the Mach-O format can contain multiple binary images inside it, which can easily be referenced. If something can load Mach-O, it can easily load a particular binary image from it. Each bootloader knows what entry in the Mach-O kernel binary to load.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Apple Store UK Leopard Retail order here - status has been updated today to "Prepared for Shipment". It's sad but this excites me. I weely weely want it for Fwiday! :D

rusher

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007

Yes please, as if they are doing it from some stores and not mine, I'll be forced to raise holy hell with my rep.

I would be surprised to see a different policy from Canada to the USA, but it wouldn't be the first time I suspect.

LOL. Who are these rep people? Well my friend who works at one of the stores here is still on to do the night shift on thursday to do drop ins ( I'm Sure apple wouldn't pay for a dozen ppl to work an overnight shift for nothing. I'll let you know what the outcome is

xentrik

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
I got Leopard early~!

I woke up this morning at 9:30am to my older brother yelling, "yo, you need to sign for a package that's here!" ... and by 10am I was up and running with the new Big Cat sporting a shiny new black hologram coat.

I didn't expect my pre-order from the Apple Store to arrive this early. While my friends are waiting for the 6pm mark, I've been playing with Leopard the whole day. Did a Clean Install with all the extraneous options (X11, Language Translations) removed, took 14 minutes!

Leopard is a breath of fresh air for my first-gen Macbook Pro.
All in all, a great way to invest that $100 iPhone credit.

fronheiser

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2003
Columbus, WI

Well, I would call your rep, then.

I just called the local Apple store, because I'm not buying a new machine tonight if I don't get Leopard handed to me as I plan on doing an Erase and Install with a re-install of iLife '08. He said any machine purchased tonight would have a Leopard DVD inside the box.

fronheiser

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2003
Columbus, WI

I just called the local Apple store, because I'm not buying a new machine tonight if I don't get Leopard handed to me as I plan on doing an Erase and Install with a re-install of iLife '08. He said any machine purchased tonight would have a Leopard DVD inside the box.

Quoting myself:

M, L, and XL shirts. Leopard dropped into the box of each new Mac.

Some people got bad information.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
I decided to order Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (Family Pack) from Apple, because I don't want to wait for hours in line just for a t-shirt. I am going to be backing up my data all Friday morning until it arrives via FedEx. FedEx always gets to my door before noon, so I will have it six hours earlier than I would if I went to wait in line at the Apple Store.

Hours in line for a T-Shirt?? My Apple retail store still had a box and a half when I showed up at 8PM (they close at 9) and there were more staff playing with the OS than customers (preoccupied with the iPods and making funny pictures of themselves in Photo Booth).

This wasn't a store opening or iPhone launch..you probably would have gotten in and out in no time.

Needless to say, after testing it for a while, I passed on the $130 to purchase the new OS. Nothing really jumped out at me at revolutionary or super useful to warrant upgrading.

rusher

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007

Yeah i would as well as my new macbookpro bought after 6pm yesterday came with a drop in of leopard...

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Please can someone post a picture of the Leopard t-shirt? I'm just curious to see what they look like.

Cheers

Uh, okay, scrub that. I've just found the flickr photos Arn posted links for .... sorry.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
Please can someone post a picture of the Leopard t-shirt? I'm just curious to see what they look like.

Cheers

Uh, okay, scrub that. I've just found the flickr photos Arn posted links for .... sorry.

Yeah, they were not that special. They make one look like a Star Wars/Space Camp alumni geek so I probably will never wear it in public.

pr0fess0r

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Just got my Leopard UTD disk, it does validate the previous install of Tiger first but lets you do an Erase and Install. I wonder if that means I can't reinstall the machine again with installing Tiger first?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.