Leopard install from internal drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by khakilad, May 9, 2009.

1. khakilad macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

really need a nit of help as I have tried searching google etc and haven't found any way to do what I need.

Basically I have a copy of the OS X 10.5 DVD's that came with my Mac saved on a separate partition of my hard drive in my MBP. I am currently having a few problems and want to do an fresh install from this partition. Is there anyway to get the DMG image bootable?

I hold down the option key whilst restarting and it sees the partition but it won't boot. I even tried a restore from disk utility; still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

(Reaosn for doing this is, I don't have the disks anymore)

Thanks in advance

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Use Disk Utility Restore to "clone" the DVD image to the partition. Use "erase destination" to enable block copy. The hard drive must be formatted using the GUID partition table, and the partition HFS+. (You'll have to move the DMG to another partition, as the partition will be erased in the process.)

You'll then be able to use the "opt" on startup to choose the install DVD. I have a partition setup to do this exact thing (although, in my case, it's the disk that came with my UB MBP - this is necessary as you need to run the build which shipped with the machine, or later).

Also, you can just burn a backup off the DMG. You'll need a DL disk, since it's over 6GB.